Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 12-16-2022, 07:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are a number of issues to address here:

1. The problem is there are many different opinions on this forum as to what "factual" and "subjective" are. Some people on this forum seem to believe the Math of how much HP you get per hour via regeneration is not "factual". Because of this, a lot of people will accuse me of "mixing fact and subjectivity". Usually when they say this, it is actually wrong, and they are trying to claim subjectivity where it isn't subjective. Can you give an actual quote of me doing this?

2. I am completely fine with conceding points. Again, can you give me an example? Often times the person is actually wrong, so conceding isn't the proper course of action. Should we just let people continue saying wrong information because it is "derailing" the conversation by not letting them get away with it?

3. The people who are throwing out the insults and trolling people are bloating the thread, not myself. They can choose to not troll, and refuse to do so. The reason why they keep posting so much nonsense is to bury what they don't like under said trolling and insults, so people can't find their opinions.

4. It is silly for you to claim that me talking about my past experiences "makes the thread about myself". I never start these conversations where people just come in and derail the conversation with things like "don't talk to this player". Don't blame me for what other people do.

5. You can farm 20k killing guards from 20-45 as a casual player, even today. Anybody who says otherwise is just wrong. If you can play 1-2 hours a day and farm just 50 platinum, you will have 18kpp. That is quite casual, and very achievable.

6. The reason why I bring up what I did in the past is because it is an example of a casual player like myself successfully getting enough platinum to afford JBB while it was still a good leveling tool. I specifically tell people my method is no longer viable so they don't inevitably ask what I did.

7. Finally, people don't really understand what "moving the goalposts" means either. It's easy to think I do that since people keep accusing me of it, but please give examples, and I will be able to show you I did not. Usually people think I "move goalposts" because they skim my replies and miss things.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:06 PM
Planar Protector

I feel so bad for the OP.

Shaman's are great Vanessa. They are either demigods or full-fledge gods. If you like the class you should play one.
Old 12-17-2022, 06:02 AM
Fire Giant

Make any class. Get to 60. Join vanquish or riot. Farm dkp warm bodying on bots & RTE and AFK in VP FTE, buy BiS tradable for 'alts' (tag a level 5 monk, warrior, etc to buy them AoW legs/helms/KT boots). Sell that shit and fund your twink of choice and join the other guild.

P99 101. Doing anything else is borderline waste of your time. Buying spells on p99 is dumb, they're all 1dkp in vanquish/riot, log on a VP bot each dragon and just buy what you need. For all other spells they're in the bank.
Old 12-17-2022, 09:41 AM
Planar Protector

Folks who've been on P99 awhile are inevitably going to talk about things that aren't possible anymore due to the many changes the game has underent over the course of its now-lengthy history. Nothing wrong with that; today's newbie will get there too if he sticks around long enough.

The main problem with the most effective money-making methods for leveling players is that they also tend to be extremely boring. Grinding guards for six months can make a person a decent stack of cash....if he's still in the game at all and hasn't quit due to burnout. Playing the game organically as it was meant for, going around to the different zones, etc, is usually more fun but tends to leave the player relatively broke. The lower- and middle-range items that may drop from such areas seldom have much value these days due to P99's age and relative limited supply of new players entering the game leading to depressed demand for lower-end goods.

--------------------------------------------------------

Without the handful of expensive high-end spells and items, a shaman is still at least a mid-range class in terms of its strength and utility. It won't be a "solo god" without them, but it's a valuable smallman group partner and contributes to any of the popular higher-end group areas with the right team. Treat lacking those spells/items as requiring you to add about +1 or +2 people over what the kitted-out shaman would need. If he can solo something, at worst the incomplete shaman can duo or trio the same thing. For the most part, gear at level 60 doesn't so much open up new areas as it tends to reduce the number of people needed to do stuff. Group content becomes smallman, smallman becomes solo, etc. The lesser-geared people can do the same stuff, just maybe need more folks to do it.

Shaman, even at its strongest, tends to be slow-and-steady. It's the tortise compared to the enchanters' hare.

Danth
Old 12-17-2022, 11:33 AM
Planar Protector

I 100% agree with Danth here.

As he says, most (if not all) effective methods for farming cash from 1-55 are boring and grindy, especially if you can only play casually. Casual players typically can't even break the grinding pattern by camping items, because it takes too long to set up the camp initially, and placeholders will prevent you from just rolling the dice occasionally to see if you get something.

A typical "casual" play session of about an hour will generally look like this:
1. Login
2. Kill a few things (generally guards if you want consistent plat, and you aren't a Druid)
3. Maybe vendor/bank
4. Logout

However, if you stick it out, you will get the cash. If you can farm even 50 plat per day, you will have 18k in a year. Once you are in your 30s you should be able to bump that number up to 100-200 plat per day, so it shouldn't take a full year to get the plat for a JBB. I understand that is a long time for people, but Classic Everquest is a marathon for casual players, not a sprint.

And yes, Shamans can solo without any expensive gear, it is simply slower. Root/Rotting is an effective strategy from 14-60. But again, for a casual player it will take months of leveling to get all the way to 60. If that doesn't sound appealing to you, P99 may not be your game.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 12-17-2022 at 11:37 AM..
Old 12-17-2022, 11:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I 100% agree with Danth here.

As he says, most (if not all) effective methods for farming cash from 1-55 are boring and grindy, especially if you can only play casually. Casual players typically can't even break the grinding pattern by camping items, because it takes too long to set up the camp initially, and placeholders will prevent you from just rolling the dice occasionally to see if you get something.

A typical "casual" play session of about an hour will generally look like this:
1. Login
2. Kill a few things (generally guards if you want consistent plat, and you aren't a Druid)
3. Maybe vendor/bank
4. Logout

However, if you stick it out, you will get the cash. If you can farm even 50 plat per day, you will have 18k in a year. Once you are in your 30s you should be able to bump that number up to 100-200 plat per day, so it shouldn't take a full year to get the plat for a JBB. I understand that is a long time for people, but Classic Everquest is a marathon for casual players, not a sprint.

And yes, Shamans can solo without any expensive gear, it is simply slower. Root/Rotting is an effective strategy from 14-60. But again, for a casual player it will take months of leveling to get all the way to 60. If that doesn't sound appealing to you, P99 may not be your game.
Old 12-18-2022, 12:21 AM
Sarnak

Shaman threads are easily the best class discussions on the forums.
Old 12-18-2022, 11:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maschenny [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shaman threads are easily the best class discussions on the forums.
What is the consensus on innate regen vs. frontal stun immunity?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-18-2022, 01:53 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

We haven't reached a concensus yet. Coming soon though. I prefer FSI. Personal preference.

Edit: just noticed the smiley face. That was a rhetorical question.
Old 12-19-2022, 12:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

No. Please God No.