Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 05:46 PM
Aviak

Default Can you use the sun?!

Can you use the sun in open zones like, let's say, the Karanas, to accurately know where north is (taken you know what time it is obviously with /time) Anyone ever tested ?
Old 08-25-2019, 08:59 PM
Planar Protector

A weapon put on the ground always points north, I've never tested the sun in the sky vs the time.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:16 PM
Kobold

Back in late 2000 I remember I got lost in Western Plains of Karana and that year I had just drove cross country from Connecticut to California. I’ll never forget driving at around 4pm along a long stretch of highway with the sun rays searing into my retinas making it difficult to see the road.

From that point on I always remembered the sun sets in the west and rises in the east. I used that info and the silly ‘Never Eat Shredded Wheat’ mnemonic and applied it to my hopelessly lost elf mage weeks later, I actually managed to find the pathway to Qeynos Hills without a trusty EQ Atlas map or the in game sense directions by following the sun! I felt like I accomplished something extraordinary that day. Oh, what memories!
Old 08-26-2019, 12:35 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A weapon put on the ground always points north, I've never tested the sun in the sky vs the time.
I tried testing this with my Blade of Carnage and a toon named Notswish ran up and snagged it from the shadows! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-26-2019, 02:00 AM
Planar Protector

I was really hoping this thread was going to be about solar powered laptops.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:35 AM
Sarnak

Praise the sun! Y
Old 08-26-2019, 02:38 AM
Planar Protector

Sometimes did this back in the day, but the amount of Everquest that has no sun view is startling. Many zones are naturally dark or somehow block your field of vision, and then there's the issue of how frequently it rained in the zones that were more open. Also isn't useful when the sun is directly overhead rather than distinctly facing a certain horizon.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worry [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I tried testing this with my Blade of Carnage and a toon named Notswish ran up and snagged it from the shadows! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There you go, you know that wasn't me... the name says so.

If you're in the market for a new weapon though...

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]