Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 12:45 AM
Kobold

Default Is raiding really so volatile?

I have been wanting to play P99 and have on and off, but if I want to raid can I? People keep talking about how volatile it is, however I am not sure if these people are just whiners or it really is. Sadly LIVE is not Everquest anymore with all the changed spell effects and revamped zones. Then there is the fact you literally are Moloing for 70 levels. I am not sure how anyone thinks that is fun, I would rather grind in P1999. The problem is I want to know if my time grinding will be worth it.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:30 AM
Aviak

Depends what you're looking for I suppose.

Gone are the days of gathering the boys to go see what cool dragons might be up to slay. It's all about sitting around and waiting for the batphone to ring so you can log in and zerg. Followed by the inevitable court date where the elf laws you broke to kill that mob are discussed and which bosses you will be conceding next week will be decided.

If that sounds fun to you, go for it.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:33 AM
Kobold

I get it, I guess I just do not want to always be in a fight to get anywhere. Sadly as I said live is not really EQ anymore. Many of the other EQemulator servers are either deserted or are mostly players boxing.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:33 AM
Planar Protector

Pixel Sickness is real. You should see some of the bullshit grown men (questionable) pull in the name of top end raid gear.

If you get into a guild with similar goals to your own, you'll be plenty happy.

Best thing is to get into a competitive guild that doesn't have a raid attendance requirement. Respond to batphones when its convenient for you, acquire dkp, spend as you see fit.

This is the way.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:01 AM
Kobold

Raiding on this server is some of the worst.

If you are not raiding, I would steer clear. The issue is the way competition works here there is a ton of areas where people nit and pick, and slice and dice each other.

You would need a referee there the entire time to make it go clean and smooth, but that is simply not possible.

So what happens:

People have to use petitions, and p99 has a voluntary staff. So sometimes it can take a month to hear back. Between that time, tensions just rise, more and more and more and more.

Everyone is doing their best, but ultimately, its not people, there is not system in Everquest to deal with this level of min/maxing.

Which is why this raiding style has never been replicated ever again, successfully.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:26 AM
Planar Protector

It really isn't much fun unless you're one of the couple dozen or so people who really get off on shitting on others.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:49 PM
Aviak

The amount of success you strive to achieve at the top end of this game is directly proportional to the amount of obnoxious, win-at-all-cost, cut-throat neckbeards you'll be required to surround yourself with.

Working as intended.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:11 PM
Banned

Wouldn’t there be a way to just make a schedule, some sort of rotation? I’m assuming that’s why there’s some sort of race to mobilize and kill a target before others? I’m also assuming that idea has long since been tried and didn’t work. Was it because people didn’t adhere to the schedule and there wasn’t admin moderation to police it?

The only comparable thing I can think of was the ranking system in classic WoW. This would normally require playing 15+ (or more) hours per day, basically having to play longer than whoever else wanted the same thing you wanted. But players out-smarted the system by creating brackets and a schedule of who gets what reward when. There were some issues of individuals going “rogue” and not following the schedule though, but these were fairly uncommon. Scheduling out the rewards allowed players to play only 10 hours a day rather than 15-20 hours a day for 3 months to get the same reward. Basically without the brackets and scheduling, ranking in classic and vanilla WoW was just a test of human endurance: how long can a human sit and play a computer game in a stretch? (And many cheated with account sharing too...)
Last edited by unsunghero; 02-01-2021 at 02:13 PM..
Old 02-01-2021, 06:21 PM
Sarnak

Yes. The main issue is the non classic addition of respawn windows. This forces poopsocking.

If classic raid mob respawn timers were in game then the quality of life with raiding would dramatically improve and not require an insane level of 24/7 neckbearding.
Turboshok - Firiona Vie Project - retired
Turbosilk/Dangeres/Turboshock - Green - Retired
Dangeres/Turbosilk - Blue - Retired
Turbosilk - Tunare/Firiona Vie - 60 Wizard - retired
Dangeres - Tunare/Firiona Vie - 60 Shaman - retired
Old 02-01-2021, 06:50 PM
Banned

There's a lot of gear that isn't BIS but still godly amazing. You'll have fun like Toxigen said, just stick to your guns and only raid when you feel like it.

The community will get better the more of these healing vibes come.
Closed Thread