Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-24-2021, 01:46 PM
Orc

Yeah. dgVoodoo basically converts the DirectX 9 API into DirectX 12 API calls. So EQ thinks it's running DirectX 9 but in reality under the hood it's being powered by DirectX 12. For whatever reason, this seems to avoid the glitch that the Titanium client and Nvidia driver are encountering, so you don't end up with crashes.

WinEQ2 is impossible with dgVoodoo however. WinEQ2 hooks into EQ by relying on the DirectX 9 API, which EQ is no longer using in this setup.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:07 PM
Large Bat

Based on koala's suggestion.. I've been looking into d3d wrappers. From what I can tell, this error occurs due to incompatibilities between older directx/d3d (d3d/direct3d is the 3d engine and is a subset under directx) APIs and new gfx card drivers.

So, piggybacking off of linux and wine (windows emulated environment run on linux to support windows games and applications being utilized successfully on linux distributions), someone has ported the directx/d3d part of this emulated environment over to Windows to help provide relief to older games that are plagued by driver incompatibility issues that prevent players from going back to play old games (like Everquest).

here's a few options that I'm currently testing. my goal is to find one that will (hopefully) work with WinEQ2.. I suspect only the developer of WinEQ2 can really make the necessary changes because WinEQ2 uses it's own d3d7/d3d8/d3d9 dll injection and the below directx/d3d dll's either don't work with WinEQ2, or WinEQ2 doesn't work with them or both:

1) DXVK: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases/tag/v1.8.1
2) dgVoodoo2: http://dege.fw.hu/dgVoodoo2/ (koala's suggested directx/d3d wrapper)
3) WineD3D for Windows: https://fdossena.com/?p=wined3d/index.frag

I'll keep you updated on which of these (if any) work with WinEQ2.

Alternatively, if anyone knows a way to make the game go full-screen (and actually look fullscreen, no window border, no window application title, etc) then let me know how and I'll toss WinEQ2 to the side.

Cheers!
Old 05-24-2021, 05:04 PM
Fire Giant

Thanks for starting this post I hope I can work towards a resolution as well. Yeah this really sucks, I'm posting here so I have a link back to this post. I've died multiple times, and even had a group wipe due to this problem. I'm using a RTX 3060ti & Ryzen 7 2700x. I noticed that potentially turning my DPI down on my mouse may have reduced how often it happens.. a theory, i'm an avid mouse turner and keyboard strafer.

Places this has happened to me on Green..

The Hole
1. Slabs area second doorway connecting to Dock's first building area.
2. Golem Tower court yard pool area.

Paineel
1. The doorway connecting to the Darkglow Palace.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:38 PM
Large Bat

gkmarino.. same exact areas for me.

Following up on koala's advice.. he's got it down.. trying his solution now and ditching WinEQ2 (since it doesn't work with the dgVoodoo2 wrapper).

I've uploaded all files you need to make this work, make sure you remove any explicit mention of what directx dll to use (double-check your eqconfig.ini file and remove if it's there, make sure you run notepad as admin so your changed take effect).

then download the files below and put them into your everquest folder:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...fj?usp=sharing

you may need to run dgVoodooCpl.exe and change the adapter to specifically be set to yours (and not mine, not sure if it updates automatically or not).

ensure eqgame.exe and dgVoodooCpl.exe are both set to run as administrator (for all groups and users).

here's screenshots of my settings for dgVoodooCpl.exe and the borderless gaming app (this will replace WinEQ2, if you're using it):

Borderless Gaming
Global Settings: https://i.imgur.com/Ppb5GK6.png
Game Settings: https://i.imgur.com/TTdsPHF.png

dgVoodoo2
General Settings: https://i.imgur.com/vyZ8Mjk.png
DirectX Settings: https://i.imgur.com/ld2u2qv.png

The shortcut on drive is a shortcut to the launch_titanium.bat batch file that's set to automatically be run as an administrator.

So the flow to open the game is to open Borderless Gaming app, it'll go to the tray area. Then use the EverQuest shortcut that I supplied, double-click to open the game.. it will open in windowed mode.

Log into the server, then select your character. Once you're in the game, go to your tray area and right-click on the Borderless Gaming application icon, then go to Game Settings, click apply/save. It should maximize your game, making it appear to be borderless (with no windowed border or application menu/title bar).

A bit more manual than WinEQ2.. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

FYI -- I also went into the Nvidia Control Panel (right-click desktop -> Nvidia Control Panel) and chose "Use the advanced 3d image settings" clicked "Add" and located eqgame.exe and customized better graphics preferences (16x anistropic, windowed+fullscreen gsync under gsync settings, scaling set to be handled by GPU (not the display), and overriding eqgame.exe's anti-aliasing settings to 8x supersample, as well as turning off vsync, high quality textures, etc).

Not sure how much the above helps, but now that this wrapper is talking to d3d9 better then maybe the above will make my game look nice and all the other stuff will provide relief for the ResetDevice(); failed! error.

I'll report back if I experience the error again.

Big thanks to koala for the great recommendation.

Cheers!
Old 05-24-2021, 05:46 PM
Kobold

Do you get crashes if you exit the GeForce Experience app?
Old 05-24-2021, 06:05 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you get crashes if you exit the GeForce Experience app?
I don't install Geforce Experience. that's optional. I'd just do a clean install of latest drivers and reinstall physx engine, sound and then the driver itself.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:18 PM
Fire Giant

This Happens to me too! everytime I switch toons or go in full screen!

Zekay 60 Torpor Shaman - <Guild>
Old 05-24-2021, 10:13 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Ive never been able to switch between fullscreen/windowed consistantly without getting this error. Never heard for dgVoodoo, downloaded it and been swapping it back and forth for hours with no crashes. Would reccommend.
Old 05-27-2021, 04:01 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Had another error, didnt completely fix.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:35 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I get this in the basement of Howling Stones, in the north and south Wings. Just as you're walking in to the outpost in the Overthere. I played on blue yeaaaars ago and it wasn't an issue then - but now on green it is. I've done all sorts of suggestions like the ones in this thread and no dice.