Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 10:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink grapefruit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
sad there are no elves [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

the lore feels like it'd be hard to get into. isn't it just christopher columbus but magic?
The setting is Earth sometime in the 1700s, so yeah, no elves. All kinds of people shipwrecked on a magic island. Player characters don't have magic themselves, but the weapons are imbued with it, giving them magic-like abilities.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:56 AM
Planar Protector

Hehe the setting is earth sometime... when we genocided and colonized a new world.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-29-2021, 08:05 PM
Kobold

Can you play it through parallels on mac?
Old 09-29-2021, 08:22 PM
Planar Protector

Thought about playing this game but decided to watch AEW and play Breath of Fire 2 for the 3,000th time instead
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 09-30-2021, 06:55 AM
Planar Protector

I feel like the only person on the planet who absolutely hates the direction RPGs are taking lately where they feel like they need to have "action combat".

I don't want to flip around and dodge attacks like I'm playing Devil May Cry.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:08 AM
Planar Protector

Nah I'm with you, I'd almost rather have straight turn based combat like FF7 or something than the twitchy stuff. But I'm a grumpy old man and things were different back in MY day.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:23 AM
Sarnak

I bought it because quite a few of my friends are playing it, but I just can't get into it. Maybe if D2R didn't just release, I'd be more eager to sit in a queue for a mediocre MMO, but MEH.

I don't know how the gameplay is later on, but for the few hours I played in beta, it just seemed very generic. Action combat that isn't as good as BDO, gathering / crafting that isn't doing anything new, a faction system that seems like you have to flag yourself for(?) and I can't get over how bad the character models are. The environments are pretty though and I actually like the UI, very modern looking. I'll try to give it an honest shake this weekend or the following week.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:40 AM
Planar Protector

Overall I've enjoyed it so far. How long it will be able to keep my attention though I'm not sure.

The gathering and crafting system is pretty robust and entertaining. Good balance in terms of rarity of the higher end materials. And I like that you get a nominal amount of EXP for it too (more when you actually level up the skill) because at least you're somewhat progressing your exp bar by doing it rather than having to forego leveling entirely in order to harvest/craft.

The weapon mastery system is fun. I like how you actually have to use the weapon to train up your advancement in it rather than just unlocking various abilities each time your character levels up overall. I like how that also prevents you from just being able to swap to any weapon later on in the game; you will have to spend a long time leveling those skills up if you want to essentially switch to a different "class". I think the "no classes" system is kind of dumb though; ultimately you're essentially picking a class by deciding which weapons you want to use but that's just a minor thought.

I like how if you attack someone else's mob and hit it a couple times you both get the full exp for it. Gives players a reason to help each other, which is nice since it's mostly a solo leveling experience and it sometimes feels like you're in a group or duo if you run across players all killing in the same area/doing the same quest.

While there is some fast travel, it's not as extensive as other MMOs and you have to be at another fast travel point in order to do it. So it forces you to travel on foot a decent amount of the time. Overall the game seems to do a good job of rewarding people for exploring and going off the beaten path.

Leveling is not slow, but I did find that you generally have to be killing things at or below your level. Things a couple levels higher than you can be killed, but it's a lot more difficult and if you get an add (which is likely) you will be in trouble for sure.

PvP is a lot of fun with the faction wars. The overall claim and fort war system is cool. Kind of reminds me of Planetside in the way a faction would identify a place to focus on and then work to claim/undermine the other faction there. However, for open world PvP this is where one of New World's positives creates a negative for PvP: The zones accommodate a large level range of content; normally this is a good thing in an MMO as it makes higher level players come to a zone, makes it so you have less ghost town zones, etc., but it ends up discouraging open world PvP a lot. If you're not at the higher end of the level range for the zone, you're almost always better off not flagging for PvP because you will inevitably get ganked by players several levels above you (e.g., you're level 15 and they're level 23)...even a player only like 3 levels above you can easily destroy you if they're even somewhat decent at PvP...so there's just no reason to flag for it unless you're specifically trying to undermine a faction's hold on the territory, so you end up seeing a ton of people not flagged for PvP.

Haven't done dungeons yet so not sure how those are. Overall, the game is a lot of fun. I'm having a good time playing it and happy with the purchase. I don't think I'll play it for an extremely long time though. I see it as a game of get one or two characters levelled up and participate in higher end faction PvP and PvE stuff for a bit until I get bored...so maybe 6 months.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Overall I've enjoyed it so far. How long it will be able to keep my attention though I'm not sure.

The gathering and crafting system is pretty robust and entertaining. Good balance in terms of rarity of the higher end materials. And I like that you get a nominal amount of EXP for it too (more when you actually level up the skill) because at least you're somewhat progressing your exp bar by doing it rather than having to forego leveling entirely in order to harvest/craft.

The weapon mastery system is fun. I like how you actually have to use the weapon to train up your advancement in it rather than just unlocking various abilities each time your character levels up overall. I like how that also prevents you from just being able to swap to any weapon later on in the game; you will have to spend a long time leveling those skills up if you want to essentially switch to a different "class". I think the "no classes" system is kind of dumb though; ultimately you're essentially picking a class by deciding which weapons you want to use but that's just a minor thought.

I like how if you attack someone else's mob and hit it a couple times you both get the full exp for it. Gives players a reason to help each other, which is nice since it's mostly a solo leveling experience and it sometimes feels like you're in a group or duo if you run across players all killing in the same area/doing the same quest.

While there is some fast travel, it's not as extensive as other MMOs and you have to be at another fast travel point in order to do it. So it forces you to travel on foot a decent amount of the time. Overall the game seems to do a good job of rewarding people for exploring and going off the beaten path.

Leveling is not slow, but I did find that you generally have to be killing things at or below your level. Things a couple levels higher than you can be killed, but it's a lot more difficult and if you get an add (which is likely) you will be in trouble for sure.

PvP is a lot of fun with the faction wars. The overall claim and fort war system is cool. Kind of reminds me of Planetside in the way a faction would identify a place to focus on and then work to claim/undermine the other faction there. However, for open world PvP this is where one of New World's positives creates a negative for PvP: The zones accommodate a large level range of content; normally this is a good thing in an MMO as it makes higher level players come to a zone, makes it so you have less ghost town zones, etc., but it ends up discouraging open world PvP a lot. If you're not at the higher end of the level range for the zone, you're almost always better off not flagging for PvP because you will inevitably get ganked by players several levels above you (e.g., you're level 15 and they're level 23)...even a player only like 3 levels above you can easily destroy you if they're even somewhat decent at PvP...so there's just no reason to flag for it unless you're specifically trying to undermine a faction's hold on the territory, so you end up seeing a ton of people not flagged for PvP.

Haven't done dungeons yet so not sure how those are. Overall, the game is a lot of fun. I'm having a good time playing it and happy with the purchase. I don't think I'll play it for an extremely long time though. I see it as a game of get one or two characters levelled up and participate in higher end faction PvP and PvE stuff for a bit until I get bored...so maybe 6 months.
Also, I'd add that I think the zone reputation points you can build up is a cool mechanic. The more you do in a current zone the more perks you can unlock (you get to choose from 1 of 3 options each time you level up your rep). It's a cool benefit and I could see players really pushing to defend or attack certain zones with their faction if their guild (called a "Company") has lots of perks there.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:50 PM
Planar Protector

I looked at the reviews and it looks like the launch is an unqualified disaster.

People be waiting hours and hours in the queue. Lol. I would NEVER wait in a queue. Queue means you're running a crap company just trying to squeeze some bucks and too cheap to invest long term. If you look at the reviews more than half are negative and the vast majority of them are like this "you are stuck waiting in 2500 people queue (about 5 hours)". Screw any outfit that thinks their product is so wonderful I'ma gonna wait around to play? Yeah man, I got 100s of games on my drive, see you laters. I wouldn't be so harsh on some independent studio but this one is backed by Amazon, who are the supposedly the Gods of Cloud Computing. That they couldn't anticipate demand and couldn't spin up more servers on the fly just boggles the mind.

You wait in the queue 2 hours and that counts as time played and now you can't get a refund. What a scam!

Amazon Game Studios is just one failure after another, remember Crucible and that other forgotten disaster? This looks like the last gasp, keep the players in the queue and keep their money lol.

I don't know much about the gameplay. I watched their promotional materials and I couldn't understand the motivation. You're all washed up on some island in the 1700s and are crafting stuff. Because...? I'm not really sure what the objective is, what the end game promises, none of that was explained clearly. There seems to be a very heavy emphasis on crafting, and there seems to be three archetypal factions to join (you got your ruthless guys, the righteous guys, and the secretive forbidden knowledge guys) and these guys fight for control of the island and you can do pvp. So I guess the end game is help your silly faction to gain control points and crafting will help you do that. I wish they were more innovative when creating these. The choices are unimpressive and rote. I don't want to help any of these guys. Going to chop trees so some THE MARAUDERS can grow larger? I'm not invested in them, why should I be?

How easy would it have been to "the entire island is going to sink into the ocean in one year! only the most powerful faction can defeat the evil whatever that is causing it! the final battle awaits!" and now I have a goal. I mean I don't really give a crap about the THE COVENANT but if I help them with the big boss then everyone lives. If that's something that happens the $50 million marketing drive has failed to inform me.
Closed Thread