Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 07-19-2013, 12:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceparty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
in classic we could see the entire list of mobs within our range, but we did not have sorting ability. merbs were stacked based on "most recent" spawn. ranger tracking has been slightly OP with the sorting ability, which wasn't granted until later in the timeline....but i'd gladly give that up in order to have my full phone book back.
everything posted here suggests otherwise, hence the change
http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...t=96039&page=2
(page 1 is all about nerfing druids to a skill of 50)
Old 07-19-2013, 12:57 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handull [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
everything posted here suggests otherwise, hence the change
http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...t=96039&page=2
(page 1 is all about nerfing druids to a skill of 50)
I understand the point made in that thread concerning Filtering and Sorting coming in Velious. What I don't get from that thread is why the #mobs trackable is reduced to 20 for a ranger?

The quote linked by Ele in that thread is posted by a Druid, who sees only 20 mobs in their list and coincidentally has a skill capped at 20. (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...o/xSMzTbTtg8gJ)

As Danceparty mentioned, it seems preferable have the longer list without filtering/sorting than have the current tracking situation.

Just editing in from that same link:
Quote:
What tracking is useful for is being the first to know about named
and/or rare spawns before anyone else. And that is *icnredibly*
useful considering a 50 ranger can cover a huge chunk of a zone
with a single click of his track key. Especially considering
tracking targets are ranked from most recent to least recent time
spawned.
This word "chunk" implies quantity, not just range.
Last edited by Steveyd; 07-19-2013 at 01:18 AM..
Old 07-19-2013, 01:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote from patch notes: "and sports a nifty scroll bar that allows players to see everything on the list" suggests the scroll bar is brand new, therefore tracking was limited prior to this velious patch.

However the quote does start with: "Tracking now works in full view for all classes that can use it" which ambiguously might suggest that it used to work in full view for some classes, and now works in full view for all. however just from that I'm not convinced either way.

Reading the full quote from Ele that you re-linked to:
"Quite frankly, it pisses me off that druids and bards have tracking at all. It
was a huge mistake giving it to them.

At least with druids their current cap of 20 makes the skill nearly useless...
but bards have far *better* tracking than rangers in basically every way.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that anybody should be nerfed... but looking
to IMPROVE their tracking is really fucking annoying.

Paladins get a 1000+ point heal every 40 minutes, shadowknights get a 500+
point DD every 40 minutes, and rangers get... tracking worse than bards. Yeah,
that makes sense.

What they really need to do is to FIX tracking. Make it filterable, make it
customizable, make it hold more than 20 frigging entries, add a scrollbar, and
make it usable for more than seeing what's newly spawned in the entire zone.

Then... leave ALL skill caps as they are and implement the fixes for rangers
only. "

the author sounds like a ranger to me who wants the buffs to tracking that rangers later got. did bards ever have a higher tracking skill cap than rangers? if not, how could someone claim a lower skill (bard) was better than a higher skill (ranger) unless there was a limit. This was a high debated skill that took a while to change on live, so thats how it should be here.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:26 AM
Planar Protector

another quote from that link dated 1999:
"yes high skill track is useless except for rare occasions when you get lucky, and for spotting new spawns. I think track is probly most useful around 75-125, gets less good the higher or lower you go from there."
Old 07-19-2013, 02:33 AM
Aviak

Ok think I'm starting to get it, somehow I was reading the quote in a context that felt Druid - perhaps quoted elsewhere in the post.

Was the number then limited by the fact there's no scroll bar and you can't expand further to see the lower entries? Ie phone book was there but couldn't be viewed beyond the last twenty entries until you added the scroll bar with vel? (Hence is bad as it is right now)
Old 07-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Planar Protector

thats how i understand it. classic tracking was limited by no scroll bar and window size. it was just easier to limit the number of entries here, rather than bother to remove the scroll bar.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Planar Protector

Evidence that rangers could see more than just 20 items on the tracking window:

http://www.hyperhighway.com/bilgehunter/Bilgeachive.htm

Bilge News 11/30/99 : Gee Hate Mail
I get alot of mail, a few days ago I got another letter telling me to, "Give it up, you will never be EQvault." Blah Blah.
I look at it like this, In EQ, and in gaming in general, there are 3 types of web sites:
The Level 1 Site: This is a site that has all the cutting edge info about the game. Its a site almost everyone knows about and visits regularly. EQliser, EQvault etc.
The Level 2 Site: A site that has a following but isn't a major site. I consider the Bilge Hunter one of these sites. Also sites like: Graffe's Wizard Compilation for example. To me these are the best sites, they tend to be the most personal and have the best ideas.
The Level 3 Site: A small site usually for a guild or group, without a following. Many of these sites are really cool.

I'm not here to beat out the Vault for some grand prize. I am a small subset of EQ, and while I wish the larger sites would support the smaller sites more, ie getting a post on the vault can be a pain after the first one, and I'd love to see links to other sites on the BIG BOYS, I'm not going to lose any sleep 'cause I ain't the Vault. Also in the future if you have a site with a following, please send me the URL and info about updates, I'd be happy to post them. I'll support the Level 2 sites all day long. Rant OVER.

I've been though all this before, during my stay in UO, I ran a site called The Ultima Online Guild Review . This site was dedicated to doing reviews of web sites of guilds. Check it out, it was a great site, and I have been thinking about bringing the whole idea over to EQ. Be this the case, I'd be looking for people who would want to run the site, do reviews, and basically switch it over to EQ. I'm not looking to run the site myself, just mainly be an editor. The Bilge Hunter is enough of a project for me right now.

In other news:
Please try to support the cleric sit in if you feel its a good cause. I'd really like to see Verant wake the hell up about these issues.

Kedge Keep: if yer in the low 40's and high 30's man this place is just great exp. My guild has been hunting there alot in the last few nights, and have yet to see anyone else in the zone. Lguk and SolB well have been ummm CROWDED...the other night our ranger did a track in SolB and saw 80+ people and ZERO mobs...heh. KKeep, Check it out its a cool place...Just not on Xegony, cause we own the deed to it...

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 07-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Evidence that rangers could see more than just 20 items on the tracking window:

http://www.hyperhighway.com/bilgehunter/Bilgeachive.htm

Bilge News 11/30/99 : Gee Hate Mail
I get alot of mail, a few days ago I got another letter telling me to, "Give it up, you will never be EQvault." Blah Blah.
I look at it like this, In EQ, and in gaming in general, there are 3 types of web sites:
The Level 1 Site: This is a site that has all the cutting edge info about the game. Its a site almost everyone knows about and visits regularly. EQliser, EQvault etc.
The Level 2 Site: A site that has a following but isn't a major site. I consider the Bilge Hunter one of these sites. Also sites like: Graffe's Wizard Compilation for example. To me these are the best sites, they tend to be the most personal and have the best ideas.
The Level 3 Site: A small site usually for a guild or group, without a following. Many of these sites are really cool.

I'm not here to beat out the Vault for some grand prize. I am a small subset of EQ, and while I wish the larger sites would support the smaller sites more, ie getting a post on the vault can be a pain after the first one, and I'd love to see links to other sites on the BIG BOYS, I'm not going to lose any sleep 'cause I ain't the Vault. Also in the future if you have a site with a following, please send me the URL and info about updates, I'd be happy to post them. I'll support the Level 2 sites all day long. Rant OVER.

I've been though all this before, during my stay in UO, I ran a site called The Ultima Online Guild Review . This site was dedicated to doing reviews of web sites of guilds. Check it out, it was a great site, and I have been thinking about bringing the whole idea over to EQ. Be this the case, I'd be looking for people who would want to run the site, do reviews, and basically switch it over to EQ. I'm not looking to run the site myself, just mainly be an editor. The Bilge Hunter is enough of a project for me right now.

In other news:
Please try to support the cleric sit in if you feel its a good cause. I'd really like to see Verant wake the hell up about these issues.

Kedge Keep: if yer in the low 40's and high 30's man this place is just great exp. My guild has been hunting there alot in the last few nights, and have yet to see anyone else in the zone. Lguk and SolB well have been ummm CROWDED...the other night our ranger did a track in SolB and saw 80+ people and ZERO mobs...heh. KKeep, Check it out its a cool place...Just not on Xegony, cause we own the deed to it...
as much as i would love this to be proof i'm 99% sure that PC toons dont count against tracking targets. Atleast they dont count ingame right now that way.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Planar Protector

i don't know how tracking PCs should effect the cap, and if the on/off for player track should be possible, but what do you think is more likely? the ranger hit track, saw zero mobs alive, and counted 80 players in the list, or the ranger hit track, saw zero mobs alive, then typed /who and saw "There are 84 players in SolB"?
Old 07-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Planar Protector

Honestly i think the most likely thing to happen was that he hit track and guesstimated 80+ toons on it and saw no mobs up because those 80+ toons had killed everything in his track range.