Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 01:54 PM
Kobold

Default Ogre SK or Dwarf Paladin for an occasional alt?

I'll be doing 50% solo 50% tanking in groups I'd say. Not gonna play it 100% of the time but only when I'm bored of my Shammy or when my friend is online.

Dots and a pet with FSI sounds insane on a tank so Ogre SK seems cool and I hear they're the best hybrid for solo with leeches and Feign Death when shit hits the fan.

But Dwarf Paladin can use Crushbone to cheese 1-10 and has access to the Bloodforge set and hammer, not to mention Lull, Root and Flash of Light make for a very active, fun and forgiving tank class.

So which of these could I realistically achieve more with in a shorter span of time and with less engagement?

21 y/o fantasy nerd - Discord: Midoo#2125
Odym Drekk
- 52 BAR SHM (main) || Midoo - 51 BAR WAR (alt)

Old 12-29-2019, 02:16 PM
Planar Protector

paladins can be a lot of fun but dorfs are pretty shitty pals IMO.

Human is prolly the best. Max cha. qeynos is also full of good exp related quests, and freeport is right next to massive ZEM befallen.

FSi really doesn't much at all for a tank since when you are stunned for that second or so your swing timer is still going so you generally won't lose much damage. And it won't prevent you from getting interrupted when spell casting and you get bashed.

the race and hybrid penalties are multiplied together so ogres or troll are really gonna feel the exp squeeze. then again Sks can solo a lot more effectively than paladins if they can fear kite.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And it won't prevent you from getting interrupted when spell casting and you get bashed.
I thought this would be the case based on a haynar patch note from a few months ago too. But when I posted data on bashes vs my troll and made some somewhat-educated guesses about how bash would affect ogres nowadays, all the people who chimed in vehemently disagreed. They all said FSI still basically makes you immune to frontal interrupts.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...re+bash&page=3 page 3 has someone saying all his logs on green only show 2 instances of bash instantly interrupting his ogre shaman... and potentially those happened when not frontal. So yeah, it kinda sounds like bash can't (or almost never can) interrupt an ogre from the front.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 12-29-2019 at 03:02 PM..
Old 12-29-2019, 03:29 PM
Planar Protector

Hrmm, from what i recall of original EQ bash had a flat chance to immediately interrupt no channeling check, a flat chance to stun (something like 30% chance), a chance to interrupt just from doing damage and getting a channeling check. Bash also seemed to have increased chance to interrupt even it only did damage. FSI should do nothing for any of those outside of the stuns.

For shaman trying to solo tough, summoning mobs toward "end game", it should be so easy to time your casts between bashes that it won't be terribly relevant. For Sk's it might have some applications in frantically trying to get FD off. But if you got 4 mobs on you, that first FD probably gonna get interrupted no matter stun or not due to the first round of bashes and then afterwards should be able to get at least a couple FDs attemps with the bash not a factor at all. probably be dead by the time their bashes recycles anwyay.
Last edited by DMN; 12-29-2019 at 03:31 PM..
Old 12-29-2019, 04:05 PM
Planar Protector

If you look at the first post in my thread, I wondered if the different log readouts and different way bash interrupts (like, it sometimes interrupts my troll's cast immediately even if it doesn't stun, or sometimes the interrupt doesn't come until the spell cast finishes) meant the sort of thing you're talking about.

But it seemed like too minor of a detail to be able to find classic commentary on it, so I didn't really pursue.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:33 AM
Planar Protector

FSI is FSI, there's no spell interrupt unless it's push. Just back in a corner and you can tank the entire zone and still channel your spells.

As far as OP, SK solos way better for sure, albeit pally can sorta compete with Ghoulbane on undead mobs. Also ogre SK you'll be rocking a 55% penalty as opposed to dwarf pally 40%.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:32 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brut [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also ogre SK you'll be rocking a 55% penalty as opposed to dwarf pally 40%.
It's a 61% penalty, because as all things EverQuest, it's multiplicative.

1.4 * 1.15 = 1.61
Old 12-30-2019, 03:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So which of these could I realistically achieve more with in a shorter span of time and with less engagement?
If you’re talking green/teal?

Paladin by far. Double xp penalty will slow you down a lot.

For blue? They should make similar progress.

I’ve always considered paladins the superior group tank (of all 3). The added bonus of being able to heal is the icing on the cake but they make quite good pullers with lull. Paladins bring the total package to the table.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 12-30-2019, 06:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's a 61% penalty, because as all things EverQuest, it's multiplicative.

1.4 * 1.15 = 1.61
TIL (and wish I didn't?). Only times I really feel the massive hurt tho is hell levels, it's generally not that bad.
If we talk pulling, pretty sure FD is way better for it than Lull, since when the crit resists comes along you either let the pally die or you deal with what's coming. But if your group tank is pulling, it's already a mess of a group.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:21 PM
Kobold

To greatly oversimplify it, Pal is slightly better in most situations than the SK, but in a few situations SK is far better (generally involving FD and/or snare). As an enchanter on blue, I was always super happy to get either as a tank, didn't really care which. SK is far more convenient to play than a Paladin due to having both kinds of invis, FD (great for extended AFKs), decent solo/duo capability,

SK tends to get better relative to a paladin the smaller a group is. SK snare/fearing + some other melee is one of the few melee duos that's actually pretty efficient.

FSI was huge on my SK because I was almost always casting a spell as a mob was inc, when they had bash loaded. If it was interrupted a slow might draw agro for a couple seconds till you get the next spell off. Not huge, but if you are trying to spoil the casters so the next time they group with a warrior they pull agro and die its important [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]