Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 01:03 PM
Planar Protector

Default Wizard group spell line up?

What spells to mem for group play?

I'd especially appreciate details for level 52.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:45 PM
Fire Giant

Always have harvest and a root memmed.

In groups, have ae snare and a stun or two memmed, and use your draught of fire for damage.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:17 PM
Planar Protector

How about 3 duration stuns, snare, root, harvest, pushback (the level 12 or 16ish Lightning spell) and ice comet for burst? should I swap one of the stuns or ice comet for draught/sustained dps?

I keep a lost staff of the scorned and sky neck handy for emergency group ports.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:22 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I usually do:
Draught - which ever spell is your most dmg/mana
Dispel/buff/lure - utility slot
Root - must for cc/aggro help
Concussion - managing aggro assist
interrupt stun - shorter cast time
duration stun - stuns for a few seconds help to land that cc or land on a healing/gating mob near 20%
harvest - gotta get more mana as often as possible
evac

Also, depending on mob/area, if AoE is safe, can use the tears of... rains if resists haven't been too much of an issue (each wave has chance for resist)
And if no caster mobs swap the interrupt stun for higher dmg single target, rain(if area is safe for AoE), snare (if need and area safe for AoE),ds whichever
Last edited by datom; 05-07-2018 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: More detail
Old 05-07-2018, 04:11 PM
Planar Protector

I got charmed in Solb and wiped my group with rain once.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I got charmed in Solb and wiped my group with rain once.
That had to be an awkward CR.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:50 PM
Fire Giant

That's for saying Wizards are bad in group! Look at my dps! You all dead!
Old 05-09-2018, 01:23 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How about 3 duration stuns, snare, root, harvest, pushback (the level 12 or 16ish Lightning spell) and ice comet for burst? should I swap one of the stuns or ice comet for draught/sustained dps?

I keep a lost staff of the scorned and sky neck handy for emergency group ports.
You should definitely finish the Concussion quest because it is an excellent agro reducer, especially considering you will be dropping stuns as well as nukes. Its also excellent when you are burning down various odd high HP mobs that you need to burn a whole mana bar on.

Wizard can provide excellent supplementary CC and you should always have a snare and a root up. Along with this you should have your Flux Staff hotkeyed and in a dedicated inventory slot for tagging mobs as well as GCD refresh. I always end up helping a great deal with pulling mobs, tagging mobs, parking mobs safely out of the way, and keeping the wheels greased. I also keep a close eye on any charmed pets and stun/tag/tank as necessary when they break to help get them recharmed and back under control. The Enchanter/Necro/less often Druid will thank you and have more mental capacity to worry about other things.

I play with two duration stuns in my bar at all times (Tishan's Clash and Tishan's Discord) a third really isn't necessary. What I do have in my bar at all times instead of a third duration stun is Draught of Jiva (or whatever Thunderstrike-line spell that is a nuke with an interrupt component.) The pushback component isn't necessary because your melees should be taking care of that. Years ago I dropped a pushback nuke on a caster at Mistmoore castle entrance and he fell off the cliff, I'm sure you can imagine how that ended up =)

If you are dropping a nuke on a caster mob it should always be the magic-based nuke with interrupt component. I always have Draught of Jiva in my bar and I will swap in an elemental nuke only if a melee mob comes into play. I will typically swap an Elemental Nuke into my Dispel/Buff/Utility slot. You are level 52 so it will be tough for spells to stick reliably in general and the difference in resist rate between magic-based nukes and elemental nukes is negligible. The benefit of an interrupt component vs a caster far outweighs the benefit of pure DPS without an interrupt. The Rend Robe drops a magic-based nuke and it sticks alllllll the time at level 60 against all kinds of different mobs. Levels are way more important than magic type when it comes to spell resist rate.

Also in group play you should be "taking the heat" from caster mobs. If a caster mob is out of spell range it will always begin to cast a spell immediately when it is in range of a PC. You should hit it with a stun to interrupt it and you will bump to the top of the agro list (obviously) and they will only come after you. If you can step out of LOS around a corner while its stunned you can stop the caster from hanging out far away from your group casting spells repeatedly and instead pull him directly to you and to your group (Sebilis chef camp is a good example of where you can do this) You drop a quick Concussion on the mob and he snaps right over to the Monk beating the living hell out of it in your camp (Concussion works even when resisted, at least it has historically I dont know if this has changed)

You can also use a similar strategy to root caster mobs out of LOS as a type of supplementary and quite effective CC (once you get OP Fetter at lvl 58 this is pretty much just as good as Mez) Wizards have excellent resist gear which you should be wearing in dungeons, also if you end up eating an Ice Comet (and perhaps dying) thats waaaaaay better than your cleric or tank, nobody will be mad at you =) You should always be mitigating caster threat and making sure they aren't healing, nuking, slowing, and/or gating.

I always keep Harvest in my spell bar, it is essential. I don't always keep Evac in my bar when I am in a group but it is on the front page in my spell book. I will use the clicky Sky neck but sometimes you need that bit of casting time from the spell to make sure everybody is safely in range of the evac. The Wizard (and Druid) have executive veto power when shit hits the fan and you shouldn't think twice about pulling the trigger if things don't feel right -to you.- This has nothing to do with being a good Wizard/Druid and everything to do with being a good EQ player. If you are playing with other good EQ players they won't complain and you'll just walk back to the dungeon and regroup (at 52 you are far from intra-zone evac) If the group wants to bitch about it tell them to get bent and walk back to EC.

<The A-Team>
Last edited by Tuljin; 05-09-2018 at 01:26 PM..
Closed Thread