Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 03:59 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default -=[ Class solo-ability question ]=-

Rehashing EQ again after 15 years, not sure how much I'll reinvest into it again, might just spend time building up 1 char, so my class choice is much more important to me than it usually is. I want to play something independent but also useful in a group so I thought between sham, dru and bards, as I also never played them before either.

Bard, Shaman, Druid

- rank their ability to solo

- rank relative end-game power

- rank usefulness/demand in a group/raid

- rank their popularity
Old 06-15-2016, 04:20 PM
Orc

Bard, Shaman, Druid

Bard can level super quickly and solo with some effectiveness depending on the location and target. Not one of the core "solo" classes though, so won't perform even close to a necro/shaman/enchanter.
Shamans will level slower especially in the early levels, but are the best soloers later after 200k+ of plat investment and only at level 60.
Druids will level quickly, but have much less late game power.

Shaman top tier. Druid and Bard not so much (for solo). Bard super useful in group forever. Druid can be useful, but less so.

Bards always needed. Guilds are overflowing with shamans and druids, so demand is low.

- rank their popularity
Shamans and druids are massively popular, bards kinda less so.

I recommend any of these classes, but you will probably feel the most limited as a shaman of the three. Bard is probably my favorite class. But I love my druid too for the ability go anywhere at any time engage heavily with the community.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:36 PM
Fire Giant

If you want to solo at 50-60 and farm thing for money I would go shaman.

If you want to never lack a group go bard.

If you want to be able to port go druid.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:41 PM
Sarnak

Just remember shaman spells past 54 are quite pricy, especially that Godly spell Torpor *drools*
Old 06-15-2016, 09:15 PM
Planar Protector

rank their ability to solo (I am taking this as how quickly you can get to 60 solo, starting from scratch)
1. Bard -- but requires a type of micromanagement that many people find very annoying
2. Druid
3. Shaman

rank relative end-game power
1. Shaman
2. Bard
(terrible) 3. Druid

rank usefulness/demand in a group/raid
1. Shaman
2. Bard
3. Druid
Old 06-15-2016, 10:06 PM
Planar Protector

Druids are underrated. No, they don't solo shit a sham or ench can. No, they aren't a required piece of every full group. No, they aren't totally loved in raids.

But they can solo from 1-60 in a variety of ways (root rot, charm, quad). They can duo with tons of different classes in a variety of ways (root rot, charm, fear kiting). They bring A LOT to a group (DS buffs heals regen snare root ports). They have solid support role in raids (POTG, resist buffs, spot heals). And they have a lot of convenience too: sow, ports, tracking, forage, harmony, invis, bind. And some fun stuff: bear pet, wolf form, PL for noobs.

Maybe not perfectly on topic, but people underrating druids so constantly gets on my nerves.

Imo all 3 classes are great.

Bard solo is more limited but interesting for a clever player. Bards are like druids in groups, versatile but not usually the ideal member, and not terribly-sought-after as a result. Bards are crucial in raids. Bards aren't too common. Good bards are rare.

Shaman solo is slow to get going, strong late, peaks right at 60 WITH all spells and gear reaching "Godmode" levels. Shamans are almost essential for groups, with awesome melee buffs, SLOW, regen, heals, roots, debuffs, and more. Shamans are essential for raids, but beyond buffs they're just heal support like a druid more or less. Shamans are common.

Druids I discussed already. Versatile in everything from solo to group to raids. Most common class on the server, but often as a convenience alt or main, not so much as a character that goes to 60 and groups/farms/raids.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 06-15-2016 at 10:10 PM..
Old 06-15-2016, 11:02 PM
Sarnak

Bard, Shaman, Druid

All have high solo ability, shamans are most enhanced by platinum for fungi and jaundice bone bracer

caveat: bard can only solo to level 55 and it requires a stable internet connection and a lot of focus

Shaman is the most powerful in the end game as far as what it can solo in general I'd say, especially with very expensive toys....

for raids:

bard in high raid demand

shaman is a very common sight at level 60 so even though super essential less in demand

druids perform utility stuff like fire and cold resist + mobilization through ports and sow for foot races and sometimes even charm for dps ....but they are definitely the least in demand / essential for raiding

for groups:
bards and shaman = good
druid = do we have to invite it....

- rank their popularity

all three are fairly popular

1)shaman
2)druid
3)bard

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
Old 06-16-2016, 12:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by trite [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
caveat: bard can only solo to level 55 and it requires a stable internet connection and a lot of focus
Well. A bard can solo to 60, and not just by AOE kiting either, but it is a lot more effort for less reward than soloing with a shaman or druid. But they CAN do it.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:25 AM
Decaying Skeleton

well sh*t... Im getting the impression that bards can solo well but its very specific (which means repetative/gets old).. am i right?
Old 06-16-2016, 02:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Druids are underrated.
They are one of the weakest classes in the game at the higher levels and their ability to solo well is limited to quadding and charming in a few spots.

I do love them as a duo with an Enchanter for a self-sufficient pair but otherwise at the higher levels they are mostly just a shitty Shaman who can port. Not a bad starter character but otherwise a frustrating life to lead, unless you don't mind being a warm body and are in an active guild who can constantly take you as a +1.