Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 02:04 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What's the spaghetti policy here?

By spaghetti I mean pet exp stuff
You get full xp with a pet solo if you do one damage
Old 08-27-2023, 03:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
At its best it makes everyone a ranger tracker
Better than a ranger: ShowEQ has infinite range, and tells you what the mob is wielding, so you can zone in and instantly know if it's up, where, and whether it spawned with the sword you want.

As for the warping, I think Secrets' plan is to rely on human GMs and player reporting, ie. how Live EQ dealt with it, but I'm ... skeptical of that plan.

It might have worked with an army of paid live GMs, but P99 has shown the limits of relying on a much smaller, all volunteer GM team, and that's with anti-cheat code!

I suspect the egregious cheaters, like the guy who warps during prime playtime hours to a just-spawned Ancient Cyclops in SRo, will likely get reported and caught. The more subtle cheaters though, like the guy only warps when no one is around to see him, will last a lot longer, and as long as they last they'll keep denying legit players access to items.

And the guy who never warps, he just happens to make a beeline to the best named in random zones? I just don't see the staff having the bandwidth to sit and watch all the players for that sort of behavior, and it'd be almost impossible for players to prove, so I expect that form of cheating to be rampant on Quarm.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-27-2023, 04:05 PM
Planar Protector

You'd have to have some server-side anti-cheat detection code with some level of automation like that suggested by Tristantio in the other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristantio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cecily sighting!

For anti-cheat - maybe it has been done, or maybe it wasn't shown to be feasible, but I don't understand why some sort of statistical analysis isn't done server side to detect it.

If you had an eventing system (think Erlang for high throughput) getting a copy of each server event passing through it, and noting anomalies (player x/y all of a sudden jumping to a very different value in a single tick or time window - narrow it based on class, so if a class has shadow step, second checks are done), I think you could have server side warp detection without adding a bunch of side-concerns into the existing server client (it'd run on it's own box).

Similarly, for mob spawns - anytime a named mob spawns, snapshot the loc of all player's in zone (their last packet), then run a check when it gets engaged - if the time between player starting location, mob spawn and mob engagement were all indicative of a "beeline" - flag the account - build up too many flags - enact secondary measures - invisible GM or auto-ban (no player /report ever needed).

Maybe I should put my money where my mouth is and try to get a local setup + proof of concept for this (if it hasn't already been done anywhere?)
And at that point, why not just have client-side anti-cheat like P99 does?
Old 08-27-2023, 08:40 PM
Kobold

I didn't realize ShowEQ was a thing until I was running in the middle of Overthere on my druid the one time i decided to try Red99 and a gnome wizard popped right under me and 1 shot me. I asked him how he found me in the middle of nowhere OT, and he said "Oh, I was bound right there." And I didn't know any better until someone mentioned people port around with a program.

What benefit is there to allowing such a program at all? Why not just give every class tracking if such 3rd party programs are allowed? Why not just give all players access to GM commands with the same functionality as ShowEQ?
Old 08-27-2023, 10:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rager and Quitter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What benefit is there to allowing such a program at all? Why not just give every class tracking if such 3rd party programs are allowed? Why not just give all players access to GM commands with the same functionality as ShowEQ?
and now you've stumbled onto my concern

having something like this running rampant can quickly make a legit server feel like those cheap GM summon item servers.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 08-27-2023, 10:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
cheap GM summon item servers.
which servers are those? preferably using titanium client

would be fun to goof around with # commands
Old 08-28-2023, 03:05 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unfortunately the 85/15 piggyback rule wasn't created until after Omens of War came out so that'll never be on PQ unless Secrets decides to add it as an out of era QoL feature later.
This is not true. I remember being piggy backed before even GoD came out.
Old 08-28-2023, 03:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by algernop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is not true. I remember being piggy backed before even GoD came out.
Flaggot!

Yea this cme out way before oow. Before even GoD i reckon. Somewhere from loy to ldon. I am sure i was being a flaggot toward the tail end of ldon.

Man i loved delving for augs and building up thr alt currencies to spend on the armours and spells at each camp!

My fave augs were the bounce ones - proced a buff that had a chance to reflect spells at the caster. Always dreamt of reflecting a death touch but never did!

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 08-28-2023, 08:20 AM
Large Rat

Default MAC only?

I'm still confused if this is MAC only or will it be on Windows PC as well?
Old 08-28-2023, 10:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccraw5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm still confused if this is MAC only or will it be on Windows PC as well?
It was originally Mac only, but takp has made a windows version. So there is both a Mac client and Windows one.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Closed Thread