Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 01:14 AM
Aviak

Question Regarding Multiple IP Exemptions and avoiding the Ban Hammer

OK so wifey briefly played some wow with me and I'd like to get her into EQ. The reason we didn't stick with WoWing together was that we don't get a LOT of time together what with the kids and all, so 2 subscriptions for a few sessions per month is expensive.

In that context, Project 1999 seems like a great idea. I have read and understand the rules regarding boxing. All good and I agree with the no boxing rule. I have no desire to break the rules, but I also have no desire to get banned accidentally or because what I'm doing looks suss!

She's a little bit terrible with the mouse sometimes. We used /follow a bit while duoing in WoW. Is this dangerous?

If I want to do a transfer or get a port or a quick rez or any number of the terrible things that could look box-y but you could ask legitimately a friend to do, and I ask her to login to help me out, is this a problem?

Just trying to get some feedback on how this will work in practice. I'm having too much of a good time here to get hamm0red! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Edit: that should be multiple account ip exemptions, but I think you get the idea.
Last edited by Hogfather; 07-30-2014 at 01:17 AM..
Old 07-30-2014, 01:37 AM
Aviak

Welcome.

The rule is pretty simple, play 1 at a time and youll stay out of trouble. People get banned all the time for quickly logging in that second character to rez/buff/transfer themselves. It's a big nono and highly enforced. If you play by the rules you have nothing to worry about! At worst a GM will ask you to do some things to prove you aren't boxing.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:37 AM
Planar Protector

Reported to the council. Bad for unskilled play / intentional feeding. Next!
Old 07-30-2014, 01:55 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Welcome.

The rule is pretty simple, play 1 at a time and youll stay out of trouble. People get banned all the time for quickly logging in that second character to rez/buff/transfer themselves. It's a big nono and highly enforced. If you play by the rules you have nothing to worry about! At worst a GM will ask you to do some things to prove you aren't boxing.
That's great but you didn't really answer my question, instead you freaked me out more!

What constitutes 'playing'? You mention getting banned for quick tasks. Is her helping me with a small task (breaking a camp / porting / transferring gear) liable to do get us banned? If she has the laptop in the kitchen and just sells crap while I'm hunting?

I don't want to cheat but I want to know what to expect going into this and how to avoid getting in trouble. It seems like the sort of thing that it would be pretty easy to come afoul of and I'd rather not bother if its too mush hassle / risky.

Will using /follow be dangerous?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeallunRumblebelly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Reported to the council. Bad for unskilled play / intentional feeding. Next!
This is a LoL reference isn't it.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:48 AM
Kobold

There are ways gms can tell if you are boxing, but just in case, both of you should have /log on for entirety of your play so that you can "prove" you're not boxing by, say, simultaneous chat, etc.

Stay on the up and up, and welcome to the server to the both of you!
Old 07-30-2014, 03:07 AM
Aviak

Thanks mate will be sure to.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:13 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfather [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's great but you didn't really answer my question, instead you freaked me out more!

What constitutes 'playing'? You mention getting banned for quick tasks. Is her helping me with a small task (breaking a camp / porting / transferring gear) liable to do get us banned? If she has the laptop in the kitchen and just sells crap while I'm hunting?

I don't want to cheat but I want to know what to expect going into this and how to avoid getting in trouble. It seems like the sort of thing that it would be pretty easy to come afoul of and I'd rather not bother if its too mush hassle / risky.

Will using /follow be dangerous?

This is a LoL reference isn't it.
Playing is anything involving having a character logged in. If you have a character logged in doing absolutely nothing and log another character in, the moment you have two characters logged in you're boxing. At that point the GMs will hunt you down and make you do a bunch of crazy stuff like run in a figure eight while answering tells on both characters to make sure there are two people playing, and if you don't pass the test not even God can save you

/follow is fine, as long as there's actually a person. Like if you're hanging out with your wife and she goes downstairs to let the cat out for a couple minutes, the absolute worst case scenario you're looking at is a GM appears and you explain to them that your wife is downstairs afk for a minute, let me go get her, you go get her, you do the tests. It's not like an instant immediate ban the second they see someone afk.

Every song I play is actually just me screaming the 1812 Overture in a raspy, shrieking falsetto.
Last edited by Kekephee; 07-30-2014 at 03:15 AM..
Old 07-30-2014, 03:49 AM
Aviak

OK great thanks for the info. Sounds good (and fair!) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-30-2014, 04:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekephee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
/follow is fine, as long as there's actually a person. Like if you're hanging out with your wife and she goes downstairs to let the cat out for a couple minutes, the absolute worst case scenario you're looking at is a GM appears and you explain to them that your wife is downstairs afk for a minute, let me go get her, you go get her, you do the tests. It's not like an instant immediate ban the second they see someone afk.
If you're seen buffing the pair of you etc while she's afk, you're probably going to get a suspension [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Don't risk it, if she afks... just stop everything til she's back.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:23 AM
Retired GM

Location: Cabilis East, in the northwest corner of the zone-in from Field of Bone

I'll give you the same answer I give everyone else, OP - if you're legitimately playing by the rules and have only 1 person controlling each character at a time, you'll be fine. If you're just going to use this as an excuse to have a buff/port/pl box and get away with it, don't bother - you'll just end up getting banned.

Each Guide/GM has their own method of testing people - when I'm doing two-box tests, you won't know you're being tested until I'm finished, and if you pass you'll never know I was there. You might notice the mobs you're fighting acting a bit funny, but that would be it. And I'm not looking for how well your wife uses her mouse - I'm looking at her response to stimuli to make sure the two of you are both there.

Bottom line is if you're playing by the rules you'll be fine. If you're breaking them, you're going to have a bad time.
Closed Thread