Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 06:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
FYI I made a wiki page about this thread/project: http://wiki.project1999.com/Green_UI

It exists primarily so that y'all can just link it to the next fifty people who claim "this isn't classic", instead of having to explain it to them [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
THANK you been waiting for that, you know how bad I am at registering lol I will have to now for sure haha [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I really want to get the community involved in the next versions, help us chose what to tackle next, so this page I think will be a big help.

There's a lot of info on eq but not much on what UI changes happened over the years lol Will be nice to finally have that cataloged eh loramin? I know you love cataloged things haha
Old 10-16-2019, 07:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Will be nice to finally have that cataloged eh loramin? I know you love cataloged things haha
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:07 PM
Planar Protector

Only took u 15 pages! lol
Old 10-16-2019, 07:08 PM
Sarnak

Are we stuck with the current UI?

It is extremely hard on the eyes.

And I'm not trying to sound dramatic or anything but there is no way I can play on Green with the current UI.

The Default on Blue is much, much better.

ETA: Thanks for everything y'all are doing. I'm looking forward to Green and enjoy Blue. I point this out right away, however, because the extremely poor contrast I saw in the Beta UI last night strains my eyes to an intolerable degree.
Last edited by GnomeCaptain; 10-16-2019 at 07:12 PM..
Old 10-16-2019, 07:34 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeCaptain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are we stuck with the current UI?

It is extremely hard on the eyes.

And I'm not trying to sound dramatic or anything but there is no way I can play on Green with the current UI.

The Default on Blue is much, much better.

ETA: Thanks for everything y'all are doing. I'm looking forward to Green and enjoy Blue. I point this out right away, however, because the extremely poor contrast I saw in the Beta UI last night strains my eyes to an intolerable degree.

You can set the colors on each window to manage whatever eye strain you may have.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throatseeker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can set the colors on each window to manage whatever eye strain you may have.
I know this is the standard response to this, but since this keeps coming up I'm starting to wonder ... maybe R&N would be ok with a slight departure from classic, if it means the default UI could be accessible ... in the "not mean to older and/or disabled people" sense?

What I'm getting at is that, as a web developer, we often pick colors that look perfectly readable to us. But to people with vision issues, two colors might appear very similar, making it difficult to read them. To help us "good vision developers" support such people, we have tools like this: https://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/

You can put any foreground/background color in there and it will tell you whether they pass certain "WCAG" (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) standards. Verant may not have had this tool, but since we do ...

I've been here awhile, so I understand full well how important the "keep it classic" principle is here. I do. But ... is it crazy to think "maybe things would be better if we went with slightly unclassic, but almost classic, text foreground/background colors, which do meet the AA (but not the AAA) standard?" Such colors could likely still be very close to the original ones, to the point where most people wouldn't even notice ... they'd just have better contrast.

If anyone can give me the hex codes for the current text foreground/background color I'd be happy to find the closest AA-compliant colors.

(None of this is in any way meant as a slight to the amazing classic re-creation UI ... just trying to remember people who aren't as lucky as we are.)

(P.S. Also not trying to make more work for anyone ... if this is a big problem, please don't listen to me: screw disabled people! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 10-16-2019 at 08:09 PM..
Old 10-16-2019, 08:10 PM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Wenai

Background colors are customizable by the end user.

Text colors are customizable by the end user.

I just really can’t see a reason I deviate from source material to cater to a minority crowd that has the ability to fix their issues. I can appreciate that color blindness can affect people’s ability to see things correctly, and if there was no work around this may be a valid discussion to have. But the reality is that the end user can customize these as they wish.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:16 PM
Fire Giant

Can't these people who can't read the UI just... set their resolution lower?

Where are all these sensitive ass blind people coming from anyway?

Find me Monday, Wednesday and Friday @ https://www.twitch.tv/elhefe
Old 10-16-2019, 08:16 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Hefe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

HOW DO I REACH DEEZ KIIIIIDDSSS!
Old 10-16-2019, 08:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Hefe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Just so we're clear, we're not talking about blind people, we're talking about people who can still see, but just not as well as the rest of us.

And 100% they can set different colors. What I'm saying is, if we can get a UI that looks almost exactly like classic, but let's the people I just mentioned not have to change their color just to be able to read, AND let's everyone who has good vision and wants to keep the default colors be able to do so more easily ... is that really worse?

Closed Thread