Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 08:30 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just so we're clear, we're not talking about blind people, we're talking about people who can still see, but just not as well as the rest of us.

And 100% they can set different colors. What I'm saying is, if we can get a UI that looks almost exactly like classic, but let's the people I just mentioned not have to change their color just to be able to read, AND let's everyone who has good vision and wants to keep the default colors be able to do so more easily ... is that really better than making EVERYONE change away because the default colors are so hard to read?
if you'd like to submit a revision i'll be happy to take a look at it.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if you'd like to submit a revision i'll be happy to take a look at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If anyone can give me the hex codes for the current text foreground/background color I'd be happy to find the closest AA-compliant colors.
I just don't know where to go digging through the XML to start looking for them, but I imagine y'all know exactly where to find them?

Once someone gives them to me, or points me to where they are in the XML, I'll happily take however long (honestly it probably won't be more than a few minutes) to find the best colors I can (in both the classic sense and the accessible sense).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
And 100% they can set different colors. What I'm saying is, if we can get a UI that looks almost exactly like classic, but let's the people I just mentioned not have to change their color just to be able to read, AND let's everyone who has good vision and wants to keep the default colors be able to do so more easily ... is that really worse?

If you change the default to a solid background then anyone who wants the translucent effect has to go in and change each window manually. If you do it the way it's presently done then anyone who wants a solid window background has to change them manually. Either way someone's going to have a tedious time switching stuff around. The current client does not have an option (at least not one I'm aware of) where a user can simply toggle the entire thing between translucent and solid with a single keystroke.

Danth
Old 10-16-2019, 08:36 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenai [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I looked into it. We disabled the little ‘x’ on the Menu bar so it wasn’t visually there. Unfortunately the client seems to also use that to take away the context menu close option. We will try and have that ready for the next patch. Sorry for the inconvenience.
No inconvenience at all. Glad I could help with the beta
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Thanks for checking it out so quickly.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you change the default to a solid background then anyone who wants the translucent effect has to go in and change each window manually. If you do it the way it's presently done then anyone who wants a solid window background has to change them manually. Either way someone's going to have a tedious time switching stuff around. The current client does not have an option (at least not one I'm aware of) where a user can simply toggle the entire thing between translucent and solid with a single keystroke.

Danth
At the risk of sounding like a moron, because I'm used to web tech not EQ UI ... can we not keep the current translucent effect but change the colors?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 10-16-2019 at 08:45 PM..
Old 10-16-2019, 08:39 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenai [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Background colors are customizable by the end user.

Text colors are customizable by the end user.

I just really can’t see a reason I deviate from source material to cater to a minority crowd that has the ability to fix their issues. I can appreciate that color blindness can affect people’s ability to see things correctly, and if there was no work around this may be a valid discussion to have. But the reality is that the end user can customize these as they wish.
As long as they increase the font SIZE of the text and xp bar on the inventory window I think that solves alot of the "text" problems. I was fine with it until that change and my eyes suck, I am ok with every other window, I can color them, texturize them if I want.

I read somewhere (might have been you) that you all are going to work on that in a future build of the UI. Thanks for all that you guys did so far.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
At the risk of sounding like a moron, because I'm used to web tech not EQ UI ... can we not keep the current translucent effect but change the colors?
You could but it'd globally change the background colors of the entire UI, which means it wouldn't look exactly classic anymore. This is not necessarily a crippling issue since some other windows have been changed at administrator request (ie, Rogean asked) to slightly non-classic for readability purposes. I suspect I know what you want--you'd like it, basically, to be darker. I agree in fact that it can be hard to read in its default state. During testing I scoured the web for proof that the 2001-era evidence that the Trilogy client windows were darker than on this one only to determine that in all probability the windows match code-side and the "brighter-seeming" windows are a relic of modern technology: LCD screens simply don't do dark as well as CRT's could. The goal of the UI alterations was to make stuff more classic when possible hence the default transparency was not touched, being classic in its current state.

In the meantime, community education of the customize options provided with Titanium are useful: As of two weeks ago I had no idea the windows could be so heavily customized, and I hated this UI as much as anyone could. I had never used those options before so I simply weren't aware of their existence. Having learned, I can make the UI more to my liking and I have no great problem with it now. Font sizes in the inventory screen are to be set a bit larger with the next build.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 10-16-2019 at 08:45 PM..
Old 10-16-2019, 08:43 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
I just don't know where to go digging through the XML to start looking for them, but I imagine y'all know exactly where to find them?
you could start in MerchantWnd.xml
Old 10-16-2019, 08:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You could but it'd globally change the background colors of the entire UI, which means it wouldn't look exactly classic anymore. This is not necessarily a crippling issue since some other windows have been changed at administrator request (ie, Rogean asked) to slightly non-classic for readability purposes. I suspect I know what you want--you'd like it, basically, to be darker. I agree in fact that it can be hard to read in its default state. During testing I scoured the web for proof that the 2001-era evidence that the Trilogy client windows were darker than on this one only to determine that in all probability the windows match code-side and the "brighter-seeming" windows are a relic of modern technology: LCD screens simply don't do dark as well as CRT's could. The goal of the UI alterations was to make stuff more classic when possible hence the default transparency was not touched, being classic in its current state.

In the meantime, community education of the customize options provided with Titanium are useful: As of two weeks ago I had no idea the windows could be so heavily customized, and I hated this UI as much as anyone could. I had never used those options before so I simply weren't aware of their existence. Having learned, I can make the UI more to my liking and I have no great problem with it now. Font sizes in the inventory screen are to be set a bit larger with the next build.

Danth
I (finally) get it now, thank you for the clarification. What I wasn't getting was that this isn't really a color problem: there's no color in the world that contrasts with every color [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] The issue is the opacity allows every color to be behind it.

Other than decreasing the background opacity a smidge more (I'd think you could only do a smidge more without making it look unclassic) ... yeah, seems like an unsolvable problem to me. It has to either be unclassic or unreadable some percentage of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you could start in MerchantWnd.xml
Well after causing this fuss the least I can do is dig through the colors in there and see if I can get any non-AA ones to contrast better ... will do.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:50 PM
Planar Protector

I don't even know what's broken at this point.

What colors are we talking about here? This game has translucent, black.. as in like, the absence of color, windows right?

Am I some kind of colorblind where the empty night sky for you guys is like, a color? Because for me its the same absence of color that the translucent window is?

Is it that the window itself is translucent that is creating a muted "color" that is making it hard to see?

Is this not helping? This is all customizable:

larger caps font
custom font colors
nontransparent (color is dealers choice) windows

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I would like to add that if your eyesight is poor, decreasing the resolution of your monitor can help.

I have played on my living room television set, but to do that I had to reduce my games resolution by quite a bit. Which is a good solution if you are having vision problems with the game.
Last edited by Jibartik; 10-16-2019 at 08:53 PM..
Closed Thread