Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 07:04 PM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Wenai
Default Velious99UI - Green Server UI - Feedback/Bugs/Discussion

Velious99UI

Development Team: Wenai, Jibartik, deezy, and Secrets.
Test Team: Danth, Tyronius, Balimon, and dekova.
Advisors: Nilbog, Rogean, Telin, Savok, and Ropethunder.

Version 1 - Green Launch
Restored Classic-era Button Texture (throughout the UI)
These are mostly true-to-classic, other than the color of the buttons needing to be modified slightly for user experience reasons. The Titanium client when creating skill hot buttons (Melee Attack, Range Attack, Kick, Taunt, Forage, Tracking, Begging, etc.) will automatically assign white text to these buttons. When they are applied to the Hot Button Window, the white text is retained and displayed; this made the buttons slightly difficult to read. The decision was made to change the color of the buttons to a slightly non-classic color, in order to not hinder the user experience of not being able to read the buttons well.
Button Text Colors (throughout the UI)
With the change in the button texture to a lighter texture, this also meant that the button text color needed to be updated as well. There are a ton of little pop-up windows, and many thousands of lines of XML. There are also many files we just don’t care about (AA Window, Bandolier etc) that won’t be updated as part of that. If you discover any windows accessible that have text color that should be updated, please let us know.
Spellbook
The Titanium client, and the Original client had very different looking spell books. Getting a 1:1 transformation would be very difficult, maybe impossible I am unsure. Thus a decision was made to make a “hybrid” spellbook. The number of spells per page is still consistent with the Titanium client, however the look is much more classic. A lot of the ornamentation of the original spellbook was brought over.
Inventory
The layout of the inventory window has been changed to be more in-line with the original Velious UI. Custom buttons with baked-in text components were also prepared and implemented. Currently the blue experience bar is enabled, but can be easily disabled if deemed necessary.
Tracking Window
This received the Velious UI treatment by removing all of the sorting options, and adding back the classic track and cancel buttons.
Marble Window
There are a series of UI assets that would revert to the old marble style while using the Velious UI. Thus we have implemented some of these assets to be consistent with that. These include:
- Character Selection: Some modern features (ie. the rotate checkbox) were left in tact and retrofitted to the marble UI.
- Bank
- Yes/No Dialog (we have run into some technical issues with this one)
- Spellbook
- NPC Give Window
- Quantity Window: Note that the Titanium client does not support the arrows to move the currently selected amount at all. They were left on to look like classic, but purposefully do not function.
- Casting Bar

Version 2 - Green Mid-Life Wishlist (Release TBD)
- Loot Window: Marbleize
- Containers: Marbleize
- Social Hotkey Creation: Marbleize
- Trainer Window: Marbleize
- Trade Window: Marbleize

Version 3 - Green Mid-Life Low Priority Wishlist (Release TBD)
- Server Select
- Login Screens

Known Issues, QoL, and shortcomings…
There are some issues that we know exist but we either can’t fix, won’t fix, or haven’t fixed.

Mail File Browser Crash: Options > Mail Tab > “...” is supposed to open up a file browser to look at files available. For whatever reason it causes the client to die. We tested our Velious UI Changes, the original Velious UI folder distributed in the patch files, and even the Default UI; they all seem to cause the crash so this is not isolated to any changes that we made. This feature is completely un-important to Project 1999 and thus will not be investigated.
Title Bars: There are a few places that we enabled Title Bars in order to increase the functionality of the UI. While not original to the classic, or Velious UI, it does allow the user to easily move their windows around. Without these title bars the user was required to use the diagonal resize options to move the window around their screen. It was clunky, and in some cases caused the UI elements to be unmovable without deleting some of the character specific UI files. In order to avoid these issues, the title bars we re-enabled. Necessity of these bars can be discussed or re-visited.
Merchant Highlighting: When you choose an item in your inventory to sell to a merchant it highlights that UI element with a yellow border. It works great in containers, but for some reason it does not work in the base inventory slots, or equipped gear. This is a legacy bug from the Velious UI we inherited.
Resolution Support: Some panels may be a bit large for people wishing to play in 640px x 480px resolution. We figure there is very few people wanting to play in this resolution. So at this time there are no plans to shrink these assets.
Last edited by Wenai; 10-14-2019 at 07:26 PM..
Old 10-14-2019, 07:05 PM
VIP / Contributor

This will be available to everyone shortly, so getting an official thread ready.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:08 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-14-2019, 07:13 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-14-2019, 07:22 PM
Planar Protector

Very excited for this to improve immersion!

Thank you to everyone who made it possible!
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:29 PM
Sarnak

When can we have screenshots? I very much want to see this.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:35 PM
Planar Protector

Hopefully soon you won't need mere screenshots.

Danth
Old 10-14-2019, 07:47 PM
Kobold

but until then, mere screenshots would be greatly appreciated

[Famalin Wisdomseed - High Elf Wizard - Quellious - 99 to 01]
Old 10-14-2019, 08:49 PM
Orc

Default Velious UI WTF

Who's Bright Idea as it to use the worst UI ever conceived? Whoever it is I am calling you out for it. I can't read any text except the red text and I can not even see my Hitpoints available. Not everyone has perfect eyesight and the Velious UIs make the game unplayable ( Thank you very much) NOT. The original UI would be preferable to the Velious UI. even the default is better.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:54 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushidobull [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Who's Bright Idea as it to use the worst UI ever conceived? Whoever it is I am calling you out for it. I can't read any text except the red text and I can not even see my Hitpoints available. Not everyone has perfect eyesight and the Velious UIs make the game unplayable ( Thank you very much) NOT. The original UI would be preferable to the Velious UI. even the default is better.
The decision to force the Velious UI was made quite a while back (not by me). We just saw that there was some very non-classic features to it and decided to restore it back to a much more classic version of it.
Closed Thread