Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 11:49 PM
Fire Giant

Hell yeah rogerwilco or ICQ back in early 2000's for sure... That was a thing. It wasnt popular but it happened for sure and even being early tweens i was in on that shit. --- GINA not so much though.

<Familjen>
<Bristlebanes Guildless>
<Some RZ Guild>?

Lich (56+ Heretic)
Zelda (45 Shaman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derubael View Post
silence, 'hardcore scum'
Old 10-16-2019, 11:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebandit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hell yeah rogerwilco or ICQ back in early 2000's for sure... That was a thing. It wasnt popular but it happened for sure and even being early tweens i was in on that shit. --- GINA not so much though.

<Familjen>
<Bristlebanes Guildless>
<Some RZ Guild>?
What year early 2000s?

A friend of my room mates, his name is Jordan, worked for a local telecom. I remember him bringing by a headset and some software once to show off internet voice chat. Fuzzy memory of what year that was but it might've been around 2003. Voice was considered laggy at best before this (his words).

ICQ or Aim, for sure. Not a voice component but text messages. Other than that perhaps the guilds Yahoo clubs page. I suppose the 3l33tZ were on a different level.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:01 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What year early 2000s?

A friend of my room mates, his name is Jordan, worked for a local telecom. I remember him bringing by a headset and some software once to show off internet voice chat. Fuzzy memory of what year that was but it might've been around 2003. Voice was considered laggy at best before this (his words).

ICQ or Aim, for sure. Not a voice component but text messages. Other than that perhaps the guilds Yahoo clubs page. I suppose the 3l33tZ were on a different level.
I didnt start getting heavy into guild stuff until around the same time, 2003 or so sounds right.

So while maybe not.... 1999 classic, this shit existed at at the very least in the kunark/velious era

Lich (56+ Heretic)
Zelda (45 Shaman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derubael View Post
silence, 'hardcore scum'
Old 10-17-2019, 12:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebandit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I didnt start getting heavy into guild stuff until around the same time, 2003 or so sounds right.

So while maybe not.... 1999 classic, this shit existed at at the very least in the kunark/velious era
Ruins of Kunark release date: April 24, 2000

Scars of Velious release date: December 5, 2000

Shadows of Luclin release date: December 4, 2001
Old 10-17-2019, 12:09 AM
Banned

Actually I think i am right. We came back to EQ during the Lost Dungeons of Norrath expansion and this when Jordan brought the headset/software by.

The Legacy of Ykesha: February 25, 2003

Lost Dungeons of Norrath: September 9, 2003

Anecdotal on my part. Peoples experiences vary. During the original era running a 500-800 single core processor.. idk. I will not say it didn't happen in the era this server is taking place but I am doubtful.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:16 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some of us have made the argument that Discord and voice shouldn't be there for Green. Can't really enforce it. Again, why are people upset? if this is a genuine question then ask yourself why the devs here are going to such lengths to recreate the classic experience of original EQ.

Here, using 2019 tools to dominate a 1999 game that didn't have to take any of this into consideration in its game design as these things didn't exist. You can't have anything close, because exact is not possible, by bending and giving way to it just because.

A few times now I have responded to someone in these kinds of threads because they are not sure why people are upset about something so trivial. I suppose its one of those things that you get or you don't, you care or you don't and it just can't be helped otherwise.
It was a genuine question, and thank you for your response. I believe the devs are here to make a classic-as-possible EverQuest experience available to all in a living museum sort of fashion - from the server side. I feel they have done a great job so far and support their efforts and decisions.

Where we disagree is whether or not this tool allows players to dominate this game - I do not feel that it does. It appears quite convenient, having the in your face visual display that an ability is usable/buff timers/etc... but I'm not seeing anything that a player couldn't otherwise do without this tool. It's not doing anything like MQ or ShowEQ. This might allow a new player to continue playing a game that may otherwise quit, but I don't see it being the one thing they needed to suddenly become a skillful player.

I get where you're coming from, wanting the experience to be as stock and classic as possible for everyone. But a line has to be drawn somewhere in terms of enforcement of that ideal. It seems like they're doing everything they can, short of disabling the log file - which I do not believe will happen. This topic has been touched on before, although not this exact tool but another one that reads log files and displays your position on a map.
Third-party app rules question
Rogean stated "Programs that parse the log file are fine, as long as they do not do any type of automatic control/response/manipulation/macro on your character in place of manual control."

Logs are classic, they should be available in my opinion. Everyone's EQ experience was different back in the day. Yes, in terms of hardware and knowledge limitations (although not universally) but also in terms of game experience. Some were casual and never hit max level, some did casual pick up style raiding, some had pre-made groups, some people did raiding on a regular schedule... and you also had guilds like Fires of Heaven. There's lots of ways to play this game, we as players get the freedom to choose how to do that. The log file was an intentional tool given to the player in the original game. It should remain available to those who want to use it to recreate that style of game play that was being done by the top 1% guilds of the time by parsing the data.
Songs are being sung from every bard,
His passion is back and the fire burns,
With fear and renown, Norrath whispers: Uthgaard
Old 10-17-2019, 12:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollhide [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
itt: a bunch of purported adults are real fuckin' concerned about the specifics of the manner in which a bunch of other purported adults choose to play a 20 year old video game.

The absolute firstest of first world problems.
itt: a bunch of adults are FUCKIN concerned the way other adults play (GINA, boxing, macroquest, botting, etc) a 20 year old video game

you could use this retarded statement for literally anything, what a peanutbrain take
Old 10-17-2019, 12:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It should remain available to those who want to use it to recreate that style of game play that was being done by the top 1% guilds of the time by parsing the data.
So it shall be.

The top guilds contending on green will all be using it along with Discord, of course.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:32 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
So it shall be.

The top guilds contending on green will all be using it along with Discord, of course.
Yes, but they're the same type of people who were parsing the data for dps and AC formula calculations and getting on conference calls during raids back in 1999. That's the way they want to play, and they always could.
Songs are being sung from every bard,
His passion is back and the fire burns,
With fear and renown, Norrath whispers: Uthgaard
Old 10-17-2019, 12:40 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
literally anything
DioO2OhUEAEoRzj.jpg
Closed Thread