Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 04:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
log parsers are classic
voice communication is classic

Im sorry you didnt know OP
I'm not saying log parsers or voice communication should be disabled. I'm saying GINA should be disabled.

Reading basic english is hard.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:07 PM
Banned

I wonder if GINA had a normie interface, would the demands for its banning from sub-90 IQ types drop dramatically?
Old 10-16-2019, 04:11 PM
Fire Giant

Oh wow, thats interesting. Why should it matter then to block it.. If you don't want it don't use it.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by drackgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you don't want it don't use it.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not saying log parsers or voice communication should be disabled. I'm saying GINA should be disabled.
Reading basic english is hard.
Reading basic dates is hard.
did we make any progress with childish comments? nope.

Doesn't change the fact that people were running log parsers as early as the log file was a thing. Nerds were crafty even back in the day. I have to imagine the early log parsers were build from database parsers.

So it's reworked and upgraded. By your logic we should be running 56k internet on single core PCs. it just wont happen. Also if P99 had a way to detect Gina it would open a huge security concern in the community.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:17 PM
Fire Giant

I would have to agree with Baler here. Green is here to be fun.. were not reliving 1999. With 56k(AoL Cds) and crappy Windows 95 computers. Be happy with what you can manage. Don't use this as I won't either bc meh I can't play 15 hours a day where this would help me. But I won;t be mad at the people who use it. What brings them fun should be the Key element that will keep people playing. Aka more people = generally more people to have Fun with.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:20 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Remove gina, ban resolutions above 640x480. Limit bandwidth to 24.4 kbps. No more than 2 mouse buttons allowed. Only 8 hotkeys allowed. Welcome to flavor country.
Yo, I had 128k ISDN back in 1997, it was awesome for Quake and Quake 2 years before EQ came out. I don't want to hear about the plebes who had to suffer with 28k.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:28 PM
Planar Protector

Buff timers have been removed for a reason - to make things more classic-compatible. GINA brings buff timers back, and then some. I fail to see the need to argue here.

Now, of course, disabling logs altogether would be a very poor solution to the problem. Logs are good, logs are classic, and as someone mentionned, 20 years from now when people will attempt to make a p99 emulator, today's logs will be invaluable.

But GINA takes away a significant part of what makes EQ - EQ: timing spawns, buffs and closely watching for messages such as "you feel like you're about to appear". That's not coo !
Old 10-16-2019, 04:38 PM
Sarnak

Always found GINA to be a weird crutch.

Never used it on Live, even when raiding, because if you're observant, you don't need it.

Though I can see the utility here, with the lack of buff timers. That's such a crap thing.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Buff timers have been removed for a reason - to make things more classic-compatible.
This is not a quest you can win

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:40 PM
Banned

HEAL NOW
YOU HAS AGGRO
BUFFS FADED
ALERT ALERT
NO CLASSIC
Closed Thread