Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 06:35 PM
Large Bat

Default RED OR BLUE (New Player)

I know this will probably cause loads of debate and trolling and what not, but Im looking to get back involved in p99, would you suggest blue or red. What are your reasons? Hows the player count for both servers
Old 10-19-2015, 06:42 PM
Planar Protector

Pros for blue:

-More people on server
-no fear of getting randomly ganked
-established economy. easy to jump in even new and find some cheap armor upgrades easily

Cons for Blue:

-End game raiding is congested and lots of bickering/fighting. have to do some weird complicated class system. Tougher to raid/get raid loot compared to red.

-If you have a conflict with someone you need to petition or report to GM to handle it. With red you can just kill them usually.

Pros to Red:

-Lvl faster. they put an exp mod on the server so it's pretty nice

-Adrenaline rushes with pvp battles. adds a cool element to the game. can be a con for some.

-Easier to raid. not as much competition.

-Less people. easier to find camps open

Cons for Red:

-Less people. sometimes hard to find grps

-no real established economy. tougher to move items, and to find them.

-Lots of ignorant/racist/hateful remarks in global ooc

-having a global ooc

-one guild basically dominating the whole server

----------------------------

As a whole RED felt more like classic EQ to me in a lot of ways. but the lack of people and toxic shit talking eventually weighed on me. Blue's population is really what keeps me playing. that and all the time and investment I have in my characters. Both servers have their pros and cons but in the end I'd decide if pvp is an element you can't live without and if the answer is yes I'd just play red. If it doesn't matter much to you I'd go blue.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Last edited by Evia; 10-19-2015 at 06:47 PM..
Old 10-19-2015, 06:47 PM
Planar Protector

Depends on your goals/time. Do you just want to come back casually? Do you want to experience lower-tier end game? Do you want to experience high-tier end game? Do you want to PVP? How much time do you have to spend each day/week?

Blue:
1500+ prime time
Normal xp rates.
Can only rely on petition quest to solve camp disputes.

Red:
300 max primetime, usually 100-200
Huge group xp bonus to encourage grouping.
Can kill people if you want to claim a camp (if in level range).

Both have bloated high ends with tons of 60s. Red has people with twink alts of various levels to be able to engage you in PVP if they want you out of a camp/zone FYI.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:00 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can kill people if you want to claim a camp (if in level range).
This has literally never been a feature for me. I had friends that insisted that we all play on Rallos in Classic and eventually on Sullon. What it usually means, for new players, is that some twink duo can come in and take your camp.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:15 PM
Planar Protector

Evia summed it up very well. I would just add very simply:

Are you a casual player? Go Blue.

Are a hardcore/competitive player? Go Red.

The most annoying thing about Red for me as a fairly casual player is the economy. It's extremely difficult to find the items you need, and selling items is equally problematic (especially low-mid range gear). There just isn't much of an active market, certainly nothing approaching the vigor and liquidity of EC on Blue. I'm sure this can be alleviated to an extent by joining up with a tight-knit guild, but it makes starting out on Red very difficult for non-soloing (plat farming) classes. In contrast, gear is much easier to come by on Blue, even for grouping classes. It's very easy to just run around and enjoy leveling and acquiring gear (which is the main essence of "playing EverQuest") on Blue. If you're the kind of player who thinks the game doesn't really begin until 60, however, Red will serve you better, being less populated and offering more content at the high end.

But really, given the XP bonus on Red you might as well try both. I would just advise you roll a Necro, Mage, Druid, Enchanter or Shaman as your first toon on Red. Very rough starting out there (at least without friends) as a class that can't farm any plat.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:24 PM
Sarnak

it's worth noting that the staff have said many times that you are allowed to have one character logged into red at the same time you have a character logged in on blue.

if you're playing classes with lots of down time it would be possible to play both like this.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:29 PM
Banned

play on blue if you're terrible at this game

play on red if u like having fun
Old 10-19-2015, 07:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandAONgo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
play on blue if you're terrible at this game

play on red if u like having fun
You are insufferable, but right on the mark with this post.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:00 PM
Banned

The difference between red and blue is simple to me.

Do you like to explore a world that is dangerous and fresh?

or do you like to explore dungeons full of people like its time square in New York?

Do you want to have hilarious fun every night?

or do you want to nerd out with a few people about mob pathing, agro radius, social range?

Do you want to solo uninterrupted but don't mind waiting all night in line for someone to leave the camp you want?

Or do you want to find any camp in the game but risk the name spawning only in time for someone to run in and kill you and take it?

Once you get to the end of your characters journey do you want to spend free time standing around in EC

or do you want to spend free time running around and fighting all over the place.

Both are fun, Ive described it like this a few times before:

Blue is like math class & red is like recess.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:23 PM
Fire Giant

^
Closed Thread