Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 10:29 AM
Sarnak

Default Server-side friends list?

Would it be possible to implement this? After just returning with about a year off, I've been trying to keep track of new people I've met. However, it's proving to be hard since I play on 3 computers.

My friends list is client-side, and I'm not sure if there's a way to overcome this limitation. But, a server-side friends list would be just fantastic, although I know it's not classic. I guess my argument against that objection is that it's also probably not classic to play EQ from more than 1 machine.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-01-2016, 11:16 AM
Planar Protector

The only thing I can think to do is copy your character files to the other 2 computers every so often to stay up to date. USB stick in hand etc.

Perhaps a problem for any aspiring developer to solve - surely it could be programmed somehow and transferred to a login somewhere?
Old 04-01-2016, 12:04 PM
Banned

You're looking for Syncthing.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:08 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomaroast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're looking for Syncthing.
Can you expand on this?

EDIT: never mind I found it: https://syncthing.net/

This is freaking great, almost good enough to be stickied in the technical forum
Last edited by renordw; 04-01-2016 at 12:13 PM..
Old 04-01-2016, 12:48 PM
Banned

I use Syncthing to share my everquest folder between all my computers. It works well but uses more resources than other commercial programs do (dropbox, google drive, etc).

If you're running Syncthing on windows you will want to use the companion program, Synctrayzor. You will only need to download Synctrayzor as Syncthing comes with it.
Last edited by bomaroast; 04-01-2016 at 12:52 PM..
Old 04-01-2016, 03:48 PM
Orc

You could setup a source-control system to manage your .ini files which contain your friendslist or hotkeys, whichever files you want. When you are done with a play session you can sync them to the cloud and have your other machines pull the changes down. You could automate nearly all of this.

Have a look at git / bitbucket. There are a lot of frameworks that do this now for sharing and maintaining code files.
Closed Thread