Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 12:36 AM
Skeleton

Default returning after 11 years, opinion on start class.

Hello being burned out on WoW, I decided to give EQ a try again after about 11 years. Back when the game was big I played a Ranger. I work swing shift and will most likely be able to play late at night PST. I do remember that Necro's, Druids, and Shamans are good soloing classes. My question is what would be the best class to play as my main, with no pp starting out to solo but also be able to get in a group. I was also thinking of a chanter but I don't know how they solo. Thanks in advance got info.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:14 AM
Planar Protector

Depends on what you want to do as part of a group. Want to be support go Druid, shaman or chanter. Want to DPS go necro, mage wizzy. Shouldn't have much problem soloing on any of them.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:18 AM
Fire Giant

Play what you honestly want to play, that's the best way to have a great time.

If you have trouble deciding and want opinions on first characters

Good first character classes - Druid, Shaman, Necro, Enchanter.

They can all solo effectively and are very desired in group play.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:55 AM
Skeleton

You say that now!!! Hahaha. After I set every thing up last night, jumped in real fast and thought hey shadow knight that looks fun. Pulled a moss snake and died. Got body attacked a fire beetle, died.. I was thinking man I don't remember EQ being this hard.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:09 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kope [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Play what you honestly want to play, that's the best way to have a great time.

If you have trouble deciding and want opinions on first characters

Good first character classes - Druid, Shaman, Necro, Enchanter.

They can all solo effectively and are very desired in group play.
idk about necro/druid being "very" desired in group play...

For ports and CR's maybe...
Old 05-09-2015, 08:30 AM
Planar Protector

Shaman / Enchanter are the kings of solo at the top end particularly...and every group needs a class that can slow hard mobs.

Druids can make plat just by porting people around, although they're less desired in the 50s for groups as their heals fall behind - still undervalued though, a good druid that keeps a DS on the tank, can throw a few nukes and can patch heal when the cleric is out of mana is still something I'd want [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Agree on the necros. I think sadly a lot of necros think sending a pet in and casting a dot on a mob that's going to die in under 30 seconds is contributing...they need to be healing, charming an undead pet where available and feeding mana to the cleric when they're low [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Above all that though, if you're playing for other people you won't enjoy it... pick a class you do enjoy and run with it, screw all the meta stuff, the min/max people, etc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-09-2015, 10:04 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaniril [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
idk about necro/druid being "very" desired in group play...

For ports and CR's maybe...
Druids are quite desired in groups, and if you can play a necro well you can make a good reputation for yourself and get groups (like swish said don't just send in your pet and nuke...you have to heal, twitch, charm, cc and possibly pull).
Old 05-09-2015, 10:30 AM
Kobold

It won't really matter what you play at first because once you start playing you will be so sucked in that you will eventually fill up all your character slots with alts. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Jump on in head first and then figure it out as you go.

Classic:
Gruemm - Dwarven Scout of Fennin Ro
Member of the Grudge Bearers
Old 05-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Kobold

Welcome aboard!! As a guy who came back after WOW also I found that duxaui definitely helped me with the switch over. Its just a more stream lined UI created for p99 server, I am sure you can find and install it in a few minutes and it will help make starting out much less painful! But if you wanna keep it classic that's cool too! Have fun!
Old 05-09-2015, 10:57 AM
Sarnak

Play what you want for sure, but for overall effectiveness as a first character my vote goes to Necro. IMO, druids kinda lose steam in the 50+ levels and sham/enc are less forgiving as far as gear goes.

It's true that necros are often passed over for groups here, but it's mostly because of bad perception caused by lazy or poorly played ones. Well played necros are extremely versatile and have lots of tricks to round out a group's weak points (mana, healing, CC, pulling/tagging, DPS with high mana regen, you name it).

Like Kope said, you can build up a reputation as a good necro and fill your friends list and you'll get groups.

Life's hard when you're stupid.
Closed Thread