Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 12:04 PM
Fire Giant

Which items being recharged is a problem in your opinion? It isn't like recharge items are being used to such an extent that people wouldn't be able to accomplish the same thing without them. Since I cut back on raiding, the only items I regularly recharge are invis rings, gate cap, and wand of allure. Of those the gate cap is the only item I could see giving an unfair advantage, and even that is comparable to other bought / dropped gate pots. I mean, invis rings end up being like 8 plat per charge, which isn't expensive, but more than anyone has ever donated to me for an invis.

I cod understand if people were downing raid mobs with hoops and wands, but it just doesn't seem to be a problem. Recharging primarily seems to be used by players to make their lives slightly easier at the cost of some platinum, which seems pretty fair to me. Even mallets wouldn't be an issue without recharging - guilds would just buy more rubies and get more mallets.

Seems like a non issue to me.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:34 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Which items being recharged is a problem in your opinion? It isn't like recharge items are being used to such an extent that people wouldn't be able to accomplish the same thing without them. Since I cut back on raiding, the only items I regularly recharge are invis rings, gate cap, and wand of allure. Of those the gate cap is the only item I could see giving an unfair advantage, and even that is comparable to other bought / dropped gate pots. I mean, invis rings end up being like 8 plat per charge, which isn't expensive, but more than anyone has ever donated to me for an invis.

I cod understand if people were downing raid mobs with hoops and wands, but it just doesn't seem to be a problem. Recharging primarily seems to be used by players to make their lives slightly easier at the cost of some platinum, which seems pretty fair to me. Even mallets wouldn't be an issue without recharging - guilds would just buy more rubies and get more mallets.

Seems like a non issue to me.
I'm not sure if I have an issue with it, in that sense. It just seems like a really silly mechanic, that makes zero sense "lore-wise". I understand why and how it was implemented, but I just don't love doing it, it makes me feel like a cheater I guess.

Similar to multiquesting I guess, I just think it's silly. Why is the item even no-drop, when you can go to EC and sell the piece?

If I were emperor of P99, I would probably just implement it differently so it didn't feel so hacky, it seems to reduce the immersion -- but I guess it's kind of a non-issue at this point since the game is like 18 years old.
Last edited by renordw; 07-27-2016 at 12:36 AM..
Old 07-27-2016, 10:24 AM
Planar Protector

Using feign death to split mobs was also unintended by the original eq devs. Where does this nitpicking stop?

Enjoy the server for what it is. Free, on someone else's terms.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 07-27-2016, 10:25 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Using feign death to split mobs was also unintended by the original eq devs. Where does this nitpicking stop?

Enjoy the server for what it is. Free, on someone else's terms.
Dude, chill. Why are you trying to escalate everything into fucking drama?
Old 07-27-2016, 11:18 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by renordw [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
His question is relevant though. Item recharging is one of those things, as has been stated already, that is a quark of the original game. It is has the devs blessing, along with the player base. It helps strip plat out of the economy. All good things. In lieu of a hard coded mechanic to recharge items, it works.

If lore is your issue, just imagine for yourself that all merchants are retired magic crafters with the power to imbue items with mana, or charges, or whatever.

Seems to me you are just trying to stir the pot more than anything.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:34 AM
Planar Protector

if it makes you feel any better, recharging on this server used to be actually broken where ANY item with charges that you sold to a vendor became fully recharged without having to sell an actually fully recharged version of that same item first

basically sell an uncharged Cap to any vendor and when you buy it right back it was charged magically. THAT was broken.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erati [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if it makes you feel any better, recharging on this server used to be actually broken where ANY item with charges that you sold to a vendor became fully recharged without having to sell an actually fully recharged version of that same item first

basically sell an uncharged Cap to any vendor and when you buy it right back it was charged magically. THAT was broken.
That actually sounds kind of convenient lol.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by renordw [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The brevity of my post must have made the point I was making confusing. I'm sorry for that. To be more clear:

The OP is asking why item recharging isn't considered a game breaking exploit by nilbog and taken out. Nilbog made this server to recreate, as close as he can possibly get, a classic experience. The original eq devs, while designing and implementing many features throughout the years, have created things that we, the original game playerbase, adapted to other uses. Sometimes they would throw the ban hammer down and call them exploits (Conquest on Lanys for healing through the Z axis in ST to keep healers out of the AoE). But many many more times they would consider what we came up with as a clever use of their mechanics. As has been previously mentioned, emergent gameplay. Thsee types of things they sanctioned and mostly left alone.

To apply that to P99, Nilbog, except in very rare cases, recreates these designs and implements them as they were on live. To the best of his ability and time allowances. So back to answer the OP, nilbog does things for this reason. That was his goal, his guiding light, his compass. He has stayed, mostly, true to this regardless of what any of the 20,000 people (estimate, not factual number) who have come and gone since 2009 have said or thought. So my advice is to "chill out" and enjoy the game for what it is. A very small number of people have a "say" on what and how the server is made and managed. None of them are in this thread. Worry about things you can control, not debate endlessly things you can not. Or futility choose to do so, instead of actually playing the game the original devs, and nilbog through extension, have graced us with the opportunity to play.

I hope that clears up my point.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 07-28-2016, 11:19 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The brevity of my post must have made the point I was making confusing. I'm sorry for that. To be more clear:

The OP is asking why item recharging isn't considered a game breaking exploit by nilbog and taken out. Nilbog made this server to recreate, as close as he can possibly get, a classic experience. The original eq devs, while designing and implementing many features throughout the years, have created things that we, the original game playerbase, adapted to other uses. Sometimes they would throw the ban hammer down and call them exploits (Conquest on Lanys for healing through the Z axis in ST to keep healers out of the AoE). But many many more times they would consider what we came up with as a clever use of their mechanics. As has been previously mentioned, emergent gameplay. Thsee types of things they sanctioned and mostly left alone.

To apply that to P99, Nilbog, except in very rare cases, recreates these designs and implements them as they were on live. To the best of his ability and time allowances. So back to answer the OP, nilbog does things for this reason. That was his goal, his guiding light, his compass. He has stayed, mostly, true to this regardless of what any of the 20,000 people (estimate, not factual number) who have come and gone since 2009 have said or thought. So my advice is to "chill out" and enjoy the game for what it is. A very small number of people have a "say" on what and how the server is made and managed. None of them are in this thread. Worry about things you can control, not debate endlessly things you can not. Or futility choose to do so, instead of actually playing the game the original devs, and nilbog through extension, have graced us with the opportunity to play.

I hope that clears up my point.

This is beautiful, 5/7 would re-read.