Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 10-07-2023, 09:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Going to Seb with some horrific casters and runner?
Sounds like most of you play with just mediocre or bad players.

If your in Seb and your chanter isn't using lvl 4 mez to spam interrupt Gates, heals, any bad casts. Looks like skill issues.

Considering your in a xp crawl group if you don't have another class with utility, snare, root, cc lol just lol.

I use to duo all the abc named with a chanter and a mage in shit gear. Let alone a full party that could keep the entire spawn and trash clear with down time.

Games been solved. Lots of baddies out there. With that being said p99 will thrive till people git gud, hard kek
Old 10-08-2023, 12:57 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don’t need snare if you always keep multiple mobs in camp.
Hold on a moment. A lot of mobs still run at low health, regardless of who is locking incomings down.
Old 10-08-2023, 01:14 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by silo32 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like most of you play with just mediocre or bad players.

If your in Seb and your chanter isn't using lvl 4 mez to spam interrupt Gates, heals, any bad casts. Looks like skill issues.

Considering your in a xp crawl group if you don't have another class with utility, snare, root, cc lol just lol.

I use to duo all the abc named with a chanter and a mage in shit gear. Let alone a full party that could keep the entire spawn and trash clear with down time.

Games been solved. Lots of baddies out there. With that being said p99 will thrive till people git gud, hard kek
But what if I don't have an Enchanter, or the mob level is sufficiently high enough that a resist could go off? There's a reason why multiple people throw in a stun and a bash if they can.

Not everyone is going to have the perfect composition, so why look down upon an SK for having snare?

But if we all really think knights are so unnecessary, then I can just grab a Monk to tank for me. Excellent DPS, AC and evasion, and throw in mend too. Can also FD for those camps where pacify can't be used.

Ya.dingus is right. Why are we still having a discussion about this?

You guys are right about one thing, though: most people are extremely lazy in this game. And that's an additional reason why I'd want a knight in my group: they're idiot-proof.
Old 10-26-2023, 01:35 AM
Sarnak

Old EQ is chock full of Incredibly boneheaded game design, and warriors are a prime example. I'd rather have a solid monk than a warrior any day of the week outside of a raid setting, and I say that as a warrior main. Monks are just objectively better in most cases - they're about as tanky, their DPS is absolutely insane and they can hold aggro just fine with a decent weapon setup, they have enormous group utility thanks to FD... warriors get literally nothing except for a bit more health and a lame taunt that doesn't work half the time. You could literally do better with a monk tank than a warrior tank in most XP settings.

I think SOE finally gave warriors a legit aggro ability (Provoke) in one of the 2003 expansions after realizing that shield bash / slam wasn't generating aggro like it was originally intended to. If I remember correctly, the devs were confused by warriors constantly dual wielding and using 2 handers instead of traditional "sword and board" setups we see for tanks in most other MMORPGs. Hilarious stuff =P
Old 10-26-2023, 01:42 AM
Fire Giant

I made a topic on Green asking for Provoke. "No changes" be damned -- I just want to group with a functioning class. In before people proclaiming "just root", though.

Also, I have an extremely hard time comprehending how the developers were confused about why warriors weren't using a shield to tank by the time of Kunark at least. For whatever reason they decided to, they're lying.
Old 10-26-2023, 06:20 AM
Planar Protector

Warriors have the best Hp pool in the game and the most mitigation, on and off disc. For trade they have aggro issues.

I don’t think the original devs did everything right. They knew how to introduce a challenge and not pander to their audience. They really didn’t care about knights and figured no serious people would play them. Most of our gripes are a learned elevation of their merits and an impatience of any warrior flaws.
Old 10-26-2023, 08:26 AM
Kobold

Warriors are great. Great dps, great HP and AC. Put a warrior in any of my exp groups over a knight any day of the week
Old 10-26-2023, 08:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothsayer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old EQ is chock full of Incredibly boneheaded game design, and warriors are a prime example. I'd rather have a solid monk than a warrior any day of the week outside of a raid setting, and I say that as a warrior main. Monks are just objectively better in most cases - they're about as tanky, their DPS is absolutely insane and they can hold aggro just fine with a decent weapon setup, they have enormous group utility thanks to FD... warriors get literally nothing except for a bit more health and a lame taunt that doesn't work half the time. You could literally do better with a monk tank than a warrior tank in most XP settings.

I think SOE finally gave warriors a legit aggro ability (Provoke) in one of the 2003 expansions after realizing that shield bash / slam wasn't generating aggro like it was originally intended to. If I remember correctly, the devs were confused by warriors constantly dual wielding and using 2 handers instead of traditional "sword and board" setups we see for tanks in most other MMORPGs. Hilarious stuff =P
If the tank is also pulling, sure...take that monk over a war.

But if you're chewing through mobs for hours the war will always be the better choice. Evasive 4tw
Old 10-26-2023, 10:18 AM
Planar Protector

Well taunt is pretty stupid but does occasionally work and is instant. Monks peeling with melee aggro is not the same and totem clicks are limited. Assuming a warrior can’t peel at all isn’t fair.

Most grind groups are not difficult. Split up the roles. Who pulls, who takes hits, who heals, who CC’s (if needed, usually root will suffice). Whether you have a ranger with 2.2k unbuffed or a warrior with 4500 if someone is wiping in The Hole it’s probably the drool on the keyboard over the class composition.

If left to pick I like solid aggro locks over dps taking splash damage, unless you have a bard or something. Quicker slows. The elitism of getting your pick is ridiculous though unless your buddy has a knight AND a warrior with the ambivalence to play either class.
Old 10-26-2023, 10:26 AM
Planar Protector

If your group has a rogue or two then you're better off with a knight for sure.