Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 03:47 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylingpat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wouldn’t not having money for powerful gear not make any ‘real’ difference because the mobs weren’t designed around everyone being twinkled?
Melee classes are extremely dependent on gear, so yes, it will make a difference. EQ, the way it's supposed to be played, is an extremely slow grind. If you are a melee class soloing, you basically kill one mob, then med up, kill 1, med, kill 1, med.

INT classes are the best classes to play with little to no money because gear to them pretty much just increases their hp/mana pools (outside of STR, CHA) and 3/4 have pets to do the tanking for you, so that's why a Necromancer or Magician would be good.

If you want hardmode, stick with your chanter or make a gnome warrior or rogue and try to solo.

As for your title, I find the rogue and cleric to be the least stressful classes because you have one job that you're really good at and you don't have to do much of anything else. But both would require a group to level most of the time. Clerics can get away with soloing in certain zones against undead, but EQ is about the social aspect as well, so I find grouping to be the better route, imo.
Last edited by Ruhtar; 11-13-2018 at 03:51 PM..
Old 11-13-2018, 03:52 PM
Banned

Ranger>Druid>Necro

Shaman is still a wonderful choice, but man they get expensive.. And i just can't imagine enjoying my grind to 60 with Torpor's 85k asking price staring down at me ever step of the way.. Knowing every coin i collect needs to be saved to drop on that 1 spell.. And then that damn bracer too... Just too much money man..

Druid- Also a very very attainable Epic to get. Some you'll never have a shot at as a casual player. But druid- Definitely can get as a casual.. And 1 ranger epic is easy to get right? but the other sword is tougher? I believe that is correct.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:56 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeff100 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
just holler at me in game "Athemis" or send me a PM and i'll try and meet up to get ya started!
Thank you so much! Really appreciate you [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unfortunately, without twinking, every class played solo is going to have to stop and /sit.

I think you're probably trying to play the game too quickly. Try to think about your approach in terms of efficiency, not speed.

It’s been sooo long since I played EQ and the last game I played was WoW during launch. I think I’ve just been shocked by how slow and tedious this game is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhtar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you want hardmode, stick with your chanter
Seriously.. that’s what it feels like.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhtar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Melee classes are extremely dependent on gear, so yes, it will make a difference. EQ, the way it's supposed to be played, is an extremely slow grind. If you are a melee class soloing, you basically kill one mob, then med up, kill 1, med, kill 1, med.

INT classes are the best classes to play with little to no money because gear to them pretty much just increases their hp/mana pools (outside of STR, CHA) and 3/4 have pets to do the tanking for you, so that's why a Necromancer or Magician would be good.

If you want hardmode, stick with your chanter or make a gnome warrior or rogue and try to solo.

As for your title, I find the rogue and cleric to be the least stressful classes because you have one job that you're really good at and you don't have to do much of anything else. But both would require a group to level most of the time. Clerics can get away with soloing in certain zones against undead, but EQ is about the social aspect as well, so I find grouping to be the better route, imo.
Yeah the slow mana regen was done on purpose, correct? Which is what they want to push with Pantheon.. The downtime/social time was used or supposed to be used for strategy planning, and to just chit chat with your peers. I have always supported this idea.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeff100 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Necro- Great solo, fun bag of tricks.. Has options for increased mana regen.. Cheap to gear.

Druid- Great Solo, cheap to gear, great money maker for a first toon. Good choice here for you.

Ranger- Also a great choice. Similar spells choices as druid, but you also get to melee. Smaller mana pool will require less time medding.

SK- Could be great, but would require some money to be awesome. Any tank class will require some decent money to blow on gear.
I'd suggest these, yeah. All can be low stress, can solo or group. SK and ranger might be a bit stressful in groups if you're expected to tank or pull. Druid can face some long med times but ports and overall versatility are great. Necro generally isn't a puller (though it can do so just fine) and has sweet mana regen... plus feign death to afk whenever you want or escape a nasty situation, and lots of cool spells that let you kill enemies in a variety of ways.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 11-13-2018 at 05:40 PM..
Old 11-13-2018, 09:14 PM
Planar Protector

Druid, Necromancer, and Shaman are great solo classes for the most part. Though a necro is also a squishy caster, when soloing you feel more control of the situation. Shamen aren't particularly expensive in the normal gameplay sense, only in the fact that they *can* use all of the generally used between classes most overpowered expensive items in the game all at once makes people feel like they need to have them all.. and that's damn expensive. Druids are great at generating cash.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:26 PM
Kobold

Magician is good choice. Low APM, easy to play, high dps, low gear requirements. No responsibility in an exp group besides nuking and pet attacking and casting malo on charmed pets.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:38 PM
Sarnak

+1 for Magician. They aren't that bad solo and are really good duoing with many classes.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:38 AM
Orc

Yeah I really enjoyed a mage but that was my char on live. I had a 33 gnome mage on the team pvp server
Old 11-14-2018, 10:16 AM
Planar Protector

Executive summary:
Mage and Druid are probably the classes having the least stress involved. Go with Druid.

TL;DR:
No melees qualify because you can't bind near your potential death spots. This alone is stressful.

Wizard is boring and nobody wants them in groups. Soloing post 40 involves quadding which gets old after about 5 minutes.
Enchanter is better suited for power-user player types who are ready to commit quite a bit of time / mental energy to EQ.
Cleric is boring af.

This leaves necro, shaman, druid and mage.

All 4 are fun classes. Druid is probably the least stressful because of so much utility (ports, sow, evac, invis), but has a much lower power ceiling than shaman/necro at high levels. Mage also has a pretty low solo ability later on, no ports or heals, unwanted in groups and has an impossible epic.

For a new player I recommend Druid because you can make easy cash by porting people around. Also there's no better class to discover the world of Norrath. Mage is a decent second pick because it's so straightforward and having a pet is fun.

Necro / shaman also great choices but the classes are a little more complex to master even though the rewards at the higher levels will be much greater.
Closed Thread