Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 05:22 PM
Orc

Default Describe your dream server

I know this thread will be a magnet for derision, but lets all try to stay positive and discuss our dream EQ classic-ish emulation. Don’t yuck someone’s yum here. Did you love Luclin? Tell us what you’d love to play and why? Hated everything besides the Vanilla? Go ahead. Describe your vision and how it would work. And to prevent flaming, lets all avoid talking about what P99 should do. Describe your vision for a brand new server, NOT what should be implemented here.

I’ll start.

I would love to see a server start with Classic EQ, Kunark, and Velious, then add in user-generated custom content, like new zones, mobs, quests, and items. I’m inspired by the EQ Next’s idea of sandbox content created by the users. Many games have gotten endless life out of this concept, like Minecraft and Skyrim. Heck, I still fire up Morrowind from time to time and check out the most popular custom content and mods.

Basically, I want to play a classic-ish EQ with the opportunity to experience a new launch. One where we would have to learn the new mobs and quests with trial by fire. One where there was no memory or wiki to guide us. Heck, I would even be entertained by a classic server where all of the quests, mobs, and items were scrambled. For example, Mistmoore would drop Darkforge off of Elemental mobs and the Hole would be overrun by lizards.

I also long for several quality of life improvements, where strictly adhering to classic format is unimportant to me. I’ve always wanted maps and a better LFG finder on P99, for example. I also want spell descriptions and buff timers available.

While this ideas is obviously very difficult to make well due to programming and vision, I think there are many people out there capable of making quality custom content. I dream of a day where modders can debut their creations and players all vote on what content they would like to see implemented to the game.

What I haven’t worked out is how we could feasibly maintain server population while keeping everyone happy. Would we clone the classic server to keep a pristine copy, and only implement the custom content on the other one? How many people would we need to keep a healthy and vibrant server? Should we allow boxing?

Does that sound interesting to you? No? Why not? What do you want to see? Tell us here!
Last edited by Rodeojones1979; 10-01-2018 at 05:25 PM..
Old 10-01-2018, 05:24 PM
Planar Protector

I'm predicting it now: at least 10 replies are going to be something to the effect of "P99 but goes up to PoP", with at least five more being a variant of that except with whatever expansion was out when the poster quit EQ (eg. "... up to LDoN", or "... up to SoL").

Further prediction: no one will say "... up to Legacy of Ykesha" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 10-01-2018 at 05:28 PM..
Old 10-01-2018, 05:29 PM
Banned

up to Legacy of Ykesha
Old 10-01-2018, 05:31 PM
Planar Protector

* and mean it

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:37 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm predicting it now: at least 10 replies are going to be something to the effect of "P99 but goes up to PoP", with at least five more being a variant of that except with whatever expansion was out when the poster quit EQ (eg. "... up to LDoN", or "... up to SoL").

Further prediction: no one will say "... up to Legacy of Ykesha" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For good reason probably, 15 active raiding guilds (if you quantify them by completing quarm weekly) on live EQ. Their most active server.

Not on either side of the fence in this argument, however.

edit:spelling
Old 10-01-2018, 05:43 PM
Banned

I didn't read any other posts besides OP so sorry if this was posted, but my perfect server would go up to Legacy of Ykesha and I mean it.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:28 PM
Planar Protector

Server that went up to SoL at release. So no bazaar. Forced classic models. Nexus teleports disabled except for Shadow Haven. Vex Thal raid mobs had no variance. The dream.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:43 PM
Fire Giant

Mists of Pandaria

HAAAAAAAH GEET IT?
Old 10-01-2018, 06:44 PM
Sarnak

No fat chicks
Old 10-01-2018, 06:57 PM
Kobold

Something like the original NES Zelda 2nd quest. Classes are roughly classic, but zone connections are different, monsters have new abilities, loot is new or in different places, zone level ranges could be different.

Shards of Dalaya does something like this but it's way too top heavy, and population is very low these days.
Closed Thread