Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 08:02 AM
Fire Giant

Default Reaver & Rune + Pally Solo Question

I’ve recently been killing some casters that I believe have some type of Rune that they are casting on themselves. I’ve been using a Reaver and have been having either some incredibly long streaks of consecutive misses or is it possible that the Reaver won’t hit until the Rune is down? I’ve been dispelling and using my 60dd stun and it seems like I’m eventually able to hit them.

TLDR will a self cast Rune by an npc make them unhittable With a reaver until it is down?

Also, about to ding 54 and was thinking of checking out Lower Guk with my new longer root. Anyone try soloing Magi and what level it would be doable? Was thinking dispell his shielding, try to get a tash stick proc, use DS pots, lots of stuns, and deepwater bp for in battle healing and it would be doable. Curious to know if anyone’s done it and what level.

Thanks!
Barlu
Old 10-21-2020, 09:30 AM
Sarnak

Casting Rune on my chanter, when mobs hit me, attack damage doesn't show but my rune takes damage if that helps.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:55 AM
Fire Giant

If you have all of your combat filters on and in full output, this should be easy enough to discover in your chat window or logs.

There's 3 options and it might be a combination of all of them, since you are using DDs to remove the rune.

1) You're missing.

[Sun Feb 17 23:47:25 2013] You try to crush a mummy, but miss!

2) The rune is absorbing as it should:

[Sun Feb 17 23:47:25 2013] You try to crush a mummy, but a mummy's magical skin absorbs the blow!

3) The rune is blocking damage from the non-magic Reaver:

[Sun Feb 17 23:47:25 2013] You try to crush a mummy, but a mummy is INVULNERABLE!

If you're getting message number 3, then the Rune effect does make them invulnerable to the Reaver.
Celent - 60 Sorcerer!
Stratah - 58 Troubadour!
Joan - 58 Knight!
Colin - 52 Rake!

Guild Leader of <Eclipse>
Old 10-21-2020, 09:27 PM
Fire Giant

Thank you all for the responses and makes a lot more sense now. I’ve been using the Rustle 2.0 UI which just shows either miss or damage dealt so don’t have those messages. One of the mobs I’ve been having trouble with is a necro and my guess is they’ve been casting diamond skin which is a 400+ point rune. Even though I’ve been hitting with a reaver it’s been taking a long time to get through the run (Pally dps for you). I’m gonna run some logs to double check but pretty sure reaver will damage a rune/steel skin.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:07 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you all for the responses and makes a lot more sense now. I’ve been using the Rustle 2.0 UI which just shows either miss or damage dealt so don’t have those messages. One of the mobs I’ve been having trouble with is a necro and my guess is they’ve been casting diamond skin which is a 400+ point rune. Even though I’ve been hitting with a reaver it’s been taking a long time to get through the run (Pally dps for you). I’m gonna run some logs to double check but pretty sure reaver will damage a rune/steel skin.
Just curious which mobs are you fighting?
Old 10-22-2020, 10:51 AM
Planar Protector

Runes should be no problem. Necros aren’t easy but you can stun through the steelskin; just learn which ones to waste your cool down on (ignore dispels). My only issue with the reaver was having to sell it once done. They are fairly hard to move but even if you lose a bit of plat it’s basically self PL.

I’d pick different solo targets. Can do mid 50’s in HK. Later on grouped it will work on about half the mobs in The Hole so having a backup weap is handy (or swap to a Narandi at 55). I guess you could solo in the hole too but I’d stay near the dock and make a newbie rogue for corpse drag/rezzing.

I’ve never been a lower guk fan. Creature of habit I suppose.

Ps: pick up some DW gaunts and pull with cancel magic. Might get lucky and knock offs the rune or banshee aura. Worst case saves you some mana and the stun CD
Last edited by Snaggles; 10-22-2020 at 10:59 AM..
Old 10-22-2020, 01:12 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondrake [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just curious which mobs are you fighting?
Hey couldn’t find on the Wiki but it is actually an SK mob in Neriak 3rd Gate not necro. I forgot they harm touch but also still would have Shieldskin for the rune. It wanders near the enterance to the cleric guild. They aren’t in my normal guard rotation but I occasionally Agro them when pulling. I have been doing the cleric guards because they are still dark blue at 54 and Cheal at 40% and I can just keep em stunned and hack em down.

Yeah Lower Guk may not be the best but I have a decent backup with Natures Defender and it is my favorite zone in the game. Creature of habit like you said [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-22-2020, 03:16 PM
Fire Giant

Can do up to 59 and 60 if you wanted to in Lguk. Just start at dar hall steps and clear to lord. If you still have time, pull magi and hand. Can use deepwater helm to heal and your mana for stuns/roots. Always dispell wizzys as their hp buff is a couple hundred hp alone. If you get to many, root mobs and log.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:23 AM
Planar Protector

Just dispell them
Old 10-23-2020, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I’ve recently been killing some casters that I believe have some type of Rune that they are casting on themselves. I’ve been using a Reaver and have been having either some incredibly long streaks of consecutive misses or is it possible that the Reaver won’t hit until the Rune is down? I’ve been dispelling and using my 60dd stun and it seems like I’m eventually able to hit them.

TLDR will a self cast Rune by an npc make them unhittable With a reaver until it is down?

Also, about to ding 54 and was thinking of checking out Lower Guk with my new longer root. Anyone try soloing Magi and what level it would be doable? Was thinking dispell his shielding, try to get a tash stick proc, use DS pots, lots of stuns, and deepwater bp for in battle healing and it would be doable. Curious to know if anyone’s done it and what level.

Thanks!
Barlu
I see your pm btw.

Will respond soon.

In short, at 54 with your gear. Ezy peasy. I will show you on a map too where to "afk" solo to 57/58 too.
Closed Thread