Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 07:21 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Who, soe? Or Daybreak? Daybreak *kinda* did, but they were reasonable enough to work out an agreement. The primary concern here is that the new company shuts the whole thing down entirely. That has not yet happened in 11 years, would be my point.
https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion...n-winters-roar
Old 12-03-2020, 07:23 PM
Sarnak

Always an interesting topic that I wish I had more time to research on my own. IMO, I don't think it would be as complicated as many think to stop P99. I see P99 as a derivative piece of work with the sole function of imitating a copyrighted piece of IP. I don't think a court would have a hard time coming to that line of thought if pushed to it. I'm not up on all the latest rulings on how the courts view code, though. I'm looking at it more as a piece of art as a whole. They could easily argue damages despite P99 not being for profit.

At the same time I'm also not sure it isn't better for business than not to have P99 around. I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have known or signed up for Aradune and leveled two toons to 60 if I wasn't already on the P99 hook. So, mostly because of people on P99 making me aware that Aradune was happening, Daybreak gained 2 subs. I'm sure I'm not the only one in that boat. /shrug

As far as the agreement with P99 staying valid, it will be up to the discretion of the new owner either way. There's a lot of factors in the sale that could affect it, but even if the new owner assumed the agreement there's nothing (that we publicly know of) that could stop them from ending or renegotiating the agreement if they have the rights to the IP.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Again, copyright on what? They didn't copy the server code: they wrote it 100% from scratch (and, again, it's impossible for anyone to copy that code, as it's been lost to time). You don't need to be a lawyer to know you can't "violate" copyright on something you aren't copying!

But again, all the art and code in the Titanium client 100% is copyrighted ... which is why R&N won't touch it with a ten foot pole.
*old judge completely covered in hair looks down at docket* so they connect to this "Rogaine"s intarnet website, and that lets them play the copyrighted EverQuest material for free? so they are hosting copyrighted material. Dr. Dershowitz here explained it to me very well over dinner last night. Open n shut. See y'all, i'm goin to epstein island!

(ps: the server code was retrievable from Al'Kabor until very late and I have a pet theory that it was taken, however it's only TAKP which has netcode so good as to make me suspicious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] mob and item database, however, tingles my tinfoil)
Last edited by imperiouskitten; 12-03-2020 at 07:30 PM..
Old 12-03-2020, 07:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongNpretty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
x pages of reasons to just enjoy this game right now, today, right this very minute.. Don't read into anything else here, just login, adventure, meet some cool folks, and enjoy the game. NOW.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:29 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TK- [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Always an interesting topic that I wish I had more time to research on my own. IMO, I don't think it would be as complicated as many think to stop P99. I see P99 as a derivative piece of work with the sole function of imitating a copyrighted piece of IP. I don't think a court would have a hard time coming to that line of thought if pushed to it. I'm not up on all the latest rulings on how the courts view code, though. I'm looking at it more as a piece of art as a whole. They could easily argue damages despite P99 not being for profit.

At the same time I'm also not sure it isn't better for business than not to have P99 around. I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have known or signed up for Aradune and leveled two toons to 60 if I wasn't already on the P99 hook. So, mostly because of people on P99 making me aware that Aradune was happening, Daybreak gained 2 subs. I'm sure I'm not the only one in that boat. /shrug

As far as the agreement with P99 staying valid, it will be up to the discretion of the new owner either way. There's a lot of factors in the sale that could affect it, but even if the new owner assumed the agreement there's nothing (that we publicly know of) that could stop them from ending or renegotiating the agreement if they have the rights to the IP.
I can personally say I wouldnt be playing everquest if it wasnt for p99. I can promise you if the new company decides to go back on any previous agreement I sure as shit wont sign up for them or support them for wiping out the... probably millions of hours people have spent playing and making this project work without getting paid for it.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:57 PM
Decaying Skeleton

This is an interesting subject. I only know of copywrite law from watching it in action in other forms of entertainment but...…

Loramin- Let's say you have 2 entertainers. By some crazy chance they use the same name and the same act. If 1 trademarks it and the other keeps doing it, isn't it infringement of copywrite? Despite the idea that they were independently created? Who owns the everquest IP? You think daybreak won't be able to argue in court that p99 has created a bootleg copy of daybreaks IP despite the fact that a lot of it was independently created?

Why I think the new investors may be forced to act is that I know IP law is very much "defend it or lose it". Like if daybreak doesn't defend their IP in court, they are liable to lose it completely and have 100s of EQemus for profit out there and they won't be able to do anything.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:05 PM
Planar Protector

This forum was much more fun before they cleaned it up for daybreak though
Old 12-03-2020, 08:12 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This forum was much more fun before they cleaned it up for daybreak though
Top google hit during the fappening. Admins bragged about it til some liability issues started to trend.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:28 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coridan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Daybreak management and personnel aren't changing (at least not yet but I doubt it will) this is just another investment group adding something to their portfolio for a couple years. Just an actual gaming focused investment group. Either way they aren't involving themselves in the nitty details.
The problem I think is if one of the new investors hears about P99 and decides that it represents possible new revenue -- they wouldn't necessarily understand the differences between P99 and TLPs (and their respective player bases)
Old 12-03-2020, 09:30 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizax_Xaziv [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem I think is if one of the new investors hears about P99 and decides that it represents possible new revenue -- they wouldn't necessarily understand the differences between P99 and TLPs (and their respective player bases)

I agree with ya. When a company acquires another the first thing they want to do is min max profits something most of us here on eq are familiar with.
Closed Thread