Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 05:40 PM
Planar Protector

Default I’m moving to Texas

Well gents, I’ve decided to pull the trigger and move to Texas. I’m closing up my business here in Southwest Washington state and starting all over again.

We have 5 acres picked out just west of Fort Worth and are flying out to see it in a couple weeks. If I play my cards right, I can sell my house here and build a new one there while eliminating about $250,000 of debt.

There’s just been too much crazy liberal shit going on around here for me to stay any longer. For years I’ve put up with it, with the mindset that “all areas have their issues”. The thought of restarting my business over again also kept me from making the move. Leaving extended family and friends will be hard, but my kids are young enough that I don’t think they will be affected much.

Wish me luck
Old 12-01-2020, 05:43 PM
Planar Protector

Good Luck !!
Old 12-01-2020, 05:44 PM
Banned

you don’t strike me as a steer
Old 12-01-2020, 06:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have a friend that just moved there, texas is very pro trump and most people there dont want to deal with bullshit and are generally very nice and respectful.

Its going to be hot tho, hope you are able to kick up income and make it work, going on a big adventure is a huge step.
Sounds like heaven to me.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:16 PM
Banned

Good luck OP

hope it goes alright for you =)
Old 12-01-2020, 06:22 PM
Planar Protector

As someone who has been all over the US, grew up in an extremely wealthy (and Republican) part of California, and moved to South Carolina for graduate school, be careful that you're not idealizing this place.

Texas was a slave state, and it shows today... demographically... The deep south is essentially an apartheid state. While there are no physical walls, there are economic and institutional ones. The result is vast swathes of urban and rural decay that you need to be at least moderately wealthy to avoid.

In my opinion, having lived in both, Southern states are quite simply poorly run. Republicans do not know how to govern, and even if they did, they are incapable of producing enough revenue to do it properly, because conservatives have been hilariously duped into believing that the taxation that fuels public services is evil. Be ready for crumbling infrastructure, terrible roads, and shitty schools. Of course you won't agree but that's my biased perspective.

I hope you are wealthy. Parts of the South, as well as parts of Texas, can be affordable. But they are affordable for a reason. Be ready for your kids to get gangbanged and have classmates dancing on their desks unless you can afford to send them to a private school or place yourself in a higher COL area. Who knows though, if you're coming from rural Washington, it might not be so different.

If you're a Trump supporter you'll probably love it. Be ready for endless conversations about trucks, deer hunting, guns, and other riveting topics.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:26 PM
Planar Protector

I liked Texas while I was there, though I didn't see all of it.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:42 PM
Planar Protector

it'll be hot but you can get crunk on the cheap

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

more:

Old 12-01-2020, 06:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As someone who has been all over the US, grew up in an extremely wealthy (and Republican) part of California, and moved to South Carolina for graduate school, be careful that you're not idealizing this place.

Texas was a slave state, and it shows today... demographically... The deep south is essentially an apartheid state. While there are no physical walls, there are economic and institutional ones. The result is vast swathes of urban and rural decay that you need to be at least moderately wealthy to avoid.

In my opinion, having lived in both, Southern states are quite simply poorly run. Republicans do not know how to govern, and even if they did, they are incapable of producing enough revenue to do it properly, because conservatives have been hilariously duped into believing that the taxation that fuels public services is evil. Be ready for crumbling infrastructure, terrible roads, and shitty schools. Of course you won't agree but that's my biased perspective.

I hope you are wealthy. Parts of the South, as well as parts of Texas, can be affordable. But they are affordable for a reason. Be ready for your kids to get gangbanged and have classmates dancing on their desks unless you can afford to send them to a private school or place yourself in a higher COL area. Who knows though, if you're coming from rural Washington, it might not be so different.

If you're a Trump supporter you'll probably love it. Be ready for endless conversations about trucks, deer hunting, guns, and other riveting topics.
Essentially an apartheid state, lol. Just, ya know, not at all.

If you believe an area can be fairly described as "apartheid" by some loose elastic definition of the word that includes things like economic disparity, opposing things like "gentrification" which leftists love to bloviate on and on about seems like a good strategy to keep it that way.

I also literally don't know a single conservative who opposes taxation funding basic public infrastructure or services. Not one. I think you yourself have been hilariously duped into thinking that's how they think. They are generally opposed to what they view as exorbitant or unfair taxation. And I'm not even a conservative, I just listen to what they actually say about the topic.

The problem of shitty public schools and crumbling infrastructure are true of almost every single democrat-controlled city or urban center. Detroit, chicago, baltimore, philadelphia. All heavily, heavily democrat and have been for decades. It's delusional to attribute those sorts of conditions to republicans when it's so plainly at odds with what anyone can go see with their own eyes in these places.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woke Locc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it'll be hot but you can get crunk on the cheap

more:

I don’t drink or smoke so it doesn’t matter to me.

Property taxes are higher, but overall real estate is cheaper, so it averages out.

Texas has no income tax FYI.

Taxes are a lesser reason for why I’m leaving. Regulation is really bad here in WA state. Try getting a building permit here and you’ll know what I’m talking about. Boeing has left Washington for greener pastures. BTW Boeing is/was the states largest employer.