Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 03-29-2017, 01:06 PM
Planar Protector

Default Old Kunark Quests (The Mystery Deepens...)

More of a discussion thread while we figure out what's going on, so put on your thinking caps and let's do some sleuthing.

On live, a patch was put in on February 15, 2017 indicating that the devs had restored old Ruins of Kunark quests and the reward for being the first on your server to complete these quests is a title (the Kunark Archaeologist) and whatever reward you get from those quests. They are in on the TLP servers as well, apparently in their original form (I think?).

The current list of quests

The point of this thread is to establish whether or not these quests were in game and working during classic era and simply went unsolved. I know someone will point out that some dev somewhere or other claimed all the original quests were solved, but first of all, no single person was in charge of the quests put into EQ, and second of all I think that comment was more hearsay and no official comment has ever been made. Not to mention not even DBG realized the quests were there until they went through their own stuff, so official comments may also be wrong!

The history on Alla for all items and all quests is a bit spotty because they were pretty much trash items until someone figured out what they were for. The earliest comments on several are from 2002, but according to this one, this particular item has been dropping for a long time but no one has ever commented on it until 2003. It follows that the rest have a similar history, given that Alla is player-run and therefore subject to player error.

The rewards themselves are in-line with high end Kunark quests (matching their difficulty). EX: Shield of the Dark
Quote:
MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM NO TRADE
Slot: SECONDARY
Charges: Unlimited
AC: 35
STR: +5 STA: +10 WIS: +10 INT: +5 MANA: +20
SV DISEASE: +10
Effect: Sebilite Pox (Any Slot/Can Equip, Casting Time: 13.5) at Level 50
WT: 5.0 Size: MEDIUM
Class: CLR SHD SHM
Race: HUM DEF TRL OGR GNM FRG
(requires drops from many Kunark zones, including high level dungeons)

Right now I think there's still work being done by players to solve all of these quests. Here is the current thread on the official board: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/...-patch.238498/

Because these are only being solved now, there won't be a lot of stuff on archive.org unless we're lucky. I know some of you guys have held onto logs from classic era and some of you play on TLP servers, so I figure if we pool our resources together, we can reach some sort of conclusion.

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 03-30-2017, 12:04 PM
Fire Giant

if all quests are true kunark, do we get those here?
Old 03-30-2017, 01:05 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocode [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if all quests are true kunark, do we get those here?
No. They did not exist. Whether broken or not.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:31 PM
Planar Protector

"Old" doesn't necessarily mean "Classic Era 2000-2001".

Amax MNK / Amalgamax ROG / maximum
Begging (227)

EQ Map Archive (1,000+ images)
P99 WikiEQ Patch Chronology
Old 03-30-2017, 01:36 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"Old" doesn't necessarily mean "Classic Era 2000-2001".
If you look at the rewards, they are more consistent with luclin era rewards than what quests actually rewarded during true kunark era.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:19 PM
Planar Protector

Even if they were broken, they might have pieces that have been dropping since Kunark that aren't in p99 but should be.

Retired from p99
Old 04-02-2017, 03:28 AM
Planar Protector

I can't help but think that even if these quests were in game and working in the classic era, when DBG went back to look at / highlight them they may have replaced whatever the classic reward may have been to make it less junky for modern EQ 50s??
Old 04-02-2017, 10:48 AM
Aviak

The shield mentioned, the quest is titled 'koada'dal focus' which is part of the vah'shir line of quests if i'm not mistaken. So clearly, luclin?
Old 04-02-2017, 11:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by not alla [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The shield mentioned, the quest is titled 'koada'dal focus' which is part of the vah'shir line of quests if i'm not mistaken. So clearly, luclin?
You're mistaken, the quest is called 'Lost Koada`Dal Force'.

Retired from p99
Old 04-10-2017, 04:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can't help but think that even if these quests were in game and working in the classic era, when DBG went back to look at / highlight them they may have replaced whatever the classic reward may have been to make it less junky for modern EQ 50s??
This. If anyone thinks those rewards were meant for actual Kunark era they are clowning themselves.