Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 02-17-2022, 05:14 PM
Banned

It seems the point of "lessening interactions" within an MMO being a bad thing has been lost.

I played on live from '99-'06 and that was one of the two major factors to its downfall. It became routine, mundane, and the "life" and fun were gone.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:18 PM
Aviak

Cheat and act awful, get quality of life improvements.

That’s the message.

Make windows sane and let us enjoy the rest of the game. The raids aren’t worth this much squeeze but people can’t lose so they cheat.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:18 PM
Banned

Initially, people didn't complain against the instancing (rotations) as they all thought and said the exact same things that some of you folks are saying here.

Then, the reality eventually set in and we all realized the mistakes that occurred. We wished to return to a previous era that was the "best" everquest experience.
Old 02-17-2022, 06:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantagarBrax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It seems the point of "lessening interactions" within an MMO being a bad thing has been lost.

I played on live from '99-'06 and that was one of the two major factors to its downfall. It became routine, mundane, and the "life" and fun were gone.
It's not being lost. You're just wrong. You have fond memories of a certain version of EQ and insist that because you like it that means anything else is the "wrong way" and the "downfall of EQ". You say this in spite of the fact that changes like instancing and rotations.etc have historically been more popular than the alternative. Live EQ has more players than P99 and it always has. WoW at it's peak (instanced literally EVERYTHING) had something like 30-40x more players than EQ ever had at any point. The only reason EQ had open world "competitive" (lol) endgame raids is because they were the first major MMO of their kind and didn't know any better. Instances were added as soon as they were technologically feasible to do so and they never looked back. There's a reason for this. Competing for open world raid targets is statistically unpopular. It's a very small vocal minority that crows about how great it is.

You believe instance/rotation = bad and causes population to drop. The facts say the exact opposite. There seems to be a disconnect in your thought process on this one.
Old 02-17-2022, 06:18 PM
Planar Protector

An argument could be made for designating (each new iteration of) green as the competitive server, since that content comes with a clean slate and increased difficulty after each expansion.

Green began with a race for server firsts, prenerfs, and best of the best titles. And while blue has enjoyed much of the same years ago, a lot of its shelf life can be attributed to alt armies and old feuds. Blue players wanting experience that competitive atmosphere again could always box, one character on green and one on blue. Blue has been around far longer than the trilogy itself, serving as the beta/test server, with unclassic features that must have been a PITA to eventually remove; that places an asterisk next to most player achievements. It has seen many different versions of easymode, including level 1 epics, all/all soulfires, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As far as p99 history goes the charm nerf has to be one of if not the biggest. On p99 during the first 6 months or so after launch charm had a set duration. Enchanters and necros were literally solo farming multiple camps with ease with timers set for their charm breaks. It was not uncommon to zone into lguk do a cc and see a solo chanter or necro claiming frenzy, am, and lord as one camp and holding down with ease at lvl 50 in scraps for gear corpsing their lore drops and continuing to hold the camp for hours sometimes days at time when fbss was sellin for 15-20k a pop, SSoY - 10-15k a pop, SMR - 10k etc (I am guilty of this). I made something like 100k in ~24 hours at one point which was a ridiculous amount at that particular time.
For this reason and others, it isn't as impressive to see a max level player in full BiS on blue as it is on green server.

This isn't an argument for rotations on blue, but if the top guild did hold competition in such high regard, as has often been the claim, cheating would not have been allowed. The moment any participant cheats, those who quietly benefit from it are also quietly opposing competition, more so than anyone openly arguing for a rotation, as they are merely rotating trophies between their guild members.
Old 02-17-2022, 06:45 PM
Banned

I don't cheat, nor do the overwhelming vast majority of players on p99, nor have I "quietly benefit"(ed) from any such allegation.

@plsnoban

My vision and experience of everquest, along with many others, was the pinnacle of what a true MMO could be. Unlimited interactions allowing the fruition of unforeseen activities and experiences. You seem to think the #1 factor is the amount of population on a server as the prime and only currency, thus taking the position of a lobotomized MMO experience and holding it up as the shining example of truth and fact. You don't seem to realize that the currency has been debased and no longer holds as much value as it once had.

This is the misguided error in your thought process.
Old 02-17-2022, 06:47 PM
Banned

Literallly "quantity over quality" is your position, and it's historically and presently wrong.
Old 02-17-2022, 06:51 PM
Planar Protector

VQ grasping at straws
you hate to see it
Old 02-17-2022, 07:47 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeannamelissa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think some of these guys realize how many people stop playing P99 or just never even start because of the 'competitiveness' of the raid scene here. The number of people who would quit or not play at all because of rotations wouldn't even be close in comparison.
Most of them realize it, but their entire self worth is wrapped up into this weird notion of being better than others on a 23 year old elf simulator.

So you're not just removing competition, you're removing the only thing that makes these people feel good about themselves. So obviously they are going to fight against that.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantagarBrax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't cheat, nor do the overwhelming vast majority of players on p99, nor have I "quietly benefit"(ed) from any such allegation.

@plsnoban

My vision and experience of everquest, along with many others, was the pinnacle of what a true MMO could be. Unlimited interactions allowing the fruition of unforeseen activities and experiences. You seem to think the #1 factor is the amount of population on a server as the prime and only currency, thus taking the position of a lobotomized MMO experience and holding it up as the shining example of truth and fact. You don't seem to realize that the currency has been debased and no longer holds as much value as it once had.

This is the misguided error in your thought process.
I guess I assumed the "downfall" you keep talking about was population based. Are you saying the downfall is nothing more than a subjective opinion of the state of the game? If so then your entire argument is pointless. Why should anyone else care what your subjective line in the sand is or where the made up "downfall" of the game began? You're statistically in the minority in those beliefs. Are you merely suggesting P99 should do things the way you think they should because if they don't it'll be the downfall of P99 by your made up metric?