Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 10:25 AM
Sarnak

Not a day goes by that I don't wish I had made a HFL Cleric rather than my HIE. The strength of the HFL is higher and Clerics wear plate. And, being able to hide is extremely valuable. People often pull things on top of you while you are sitting down and if you are hidden, it's not a problem. Leveling faster is obviously very important also. That's less time doing the grind.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:59 AM
Fire Giant

Strange that nobody mentioned dark elfs yet. You get that snare neck AND hide skill. Ultravision on top. After just some basic leveling with orcs in EC i can buy and sell in common lands.

For me DE cleric is a really good choice.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Strange that nobody mentioned dark elfs yet. You get that snare neck AND hide skill. Ultravision on top. After just some basic leveling with orcs in EC i can buy and sell in common lands.

For me DE cleric is a really good choice.
Well, we are talking about green, so ultravision is irrelevant. The thing about hide is mainly if you are soloing and want to AFK;problem is if you are soloing on a cleric you are prolly killing undead, which see through hide. So you basically end up with tiny bit more wisdom and ton less str/sta/cha than a human with no real benefit, but massively worse faction than a human inny follower (who with the guise can go almost anywhere.)
Old 01-27-2020, 02:41 PM
Planar Protector

Ultravision is relevant for Clerics mostly because they don't have an easy source of it other then Guise for a little while longer.

Hide - Undead may see through it, but the amount of times you avoid pulling sit aggro in groups is freaking awesome on some classes, cleric being numero uno for that purpose.

Humans get a far better aggregate though. Both races are Robers, so all the special Cleric robes both can get.

Natural Dark Elves are the only Clerics who get Hide and Robes ;D

Worshipping Innoruuk and being super Evil though is rough on them without invis.

Human Clerics get so many cool items at Paineel tho
Old 01-27-2020, 09:35 PM
Planar Protector

I didn't actually think about hiding on pulls. I suppose that could be a decent QoL thing when camping stuff you can't conveniently sit behind LOS blocking walls/objects. Pretty minor though, and the stat hit is pretty heavy relative to a human, on the order of 40-45 stat points. that's a pretty heavy price of admission.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:43 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, we are talking about green, so ultravision is irrelevant. The thing about hide is mainly if you are soloing and want to AFK;problem is if you are soloing on a cleric you are prolly killing undead, which see through hide. So you basically end up with tiny bit more wisdom and ton less str/sta/cha than a human with no real benefit, but massively worse faction than a human inny follower (who with the guise can go almost anywhere.)
"Well, we are talking about green, so ultravision is irrelevant."

lol what? Blind corpse runs on green is a real thing and root/Atone + hide on pulls, wipes, navigating camps is Pro.

Let me just add infravision is like playing the game on a 1990 monitor in Mexico after playing with ultra vision 24-7 (non-clicky) on green for the other races.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:28 AM
Aviak

isn't dark elf the sexiest?
Old 04-09-2020, 03:20 PM
Large Bat

I appreciate this thread, lots of great responses and information here which unfortunately has made things even more difficult for my decision personally. I absolutely love the idea of a Human worshipping Innoruuk and living his life to that cause as if he was one of their own. Going so far as to hide in plain sight as one of his true kinfolk via his priced guise illusion.

With that said and understanding the charisma component as important for grouping, duo and trio, what would be recommended for a Human Innoruuk that eventually plans to raid once he understands his role and actions needed for such an endeavor? Should i still pump 25 charisma and 5 stamina, while keeping wisdom at base 85? I understand higher end items and getting those in the years to come allow for wisdom cap to be within reach. Is the same true for charisma? Will i be suffering tremendously until i am able to get to the real end game and get my wisdom higher?

I have experience on high end Dark Elf Cleric but it was from so long ago it isn’t something I am relying on, that particular game knowledge has faded. I now understand dramatically more about situational awareness and other core concepts which I can build new game knowledge on top of. I will not be resting on any laurels and will be putting the time in to learn the class and how to play properly in as many situations as I can put myself in to. Character will be decently twinked if that matters. I may be changing my main so I am farming some things now. I just enjoy healing too much to not get back on that horse. Obvious first goal is to get guise within the next few weeks and work my butt off doing so.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmAbsurd [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Should i still pump 25 charisma and 5 stamina, while keeping wisdom at base 85? I understand higher end items and getting those in the years to come allow for wisdom cap to be within reach. Is the same true for charisma? Will i be suffering tremendously until i am able to get to the real end game and get my wisdom higher?
No you should not pump Charisma, and yes you will be noticeably suffering from the low WIS if you do. +CHA gear is cheap and easily acquired, +WIS gear is more expensive and harder to come by. And every point of +WIS you get from stats means more slots you can instead devote to +Mana, +HP or +Resists, all of which you will benefit more from on a regular basis than CHA. For an easy example, consider that a low WIS Cleric will probably be forced to wear +WIS jewelry, while the high WIS Cleric can fill those slots with +HP jewelry and become much more sturdy.

This is not to say CHA is useless for a Cleric. It's worth having some +CHA gear. But unless you are regularly breaking camps solo or trying to cast lull on mobs near your own level, you won't benefit much from high CHA. Realistically you won't be pulling or breaking camps much as a grouping Cleric, and if you do you will probably only cast the spell once to initially break the camp. And you will likely be casting on low blue con XP mobs with a low resist rate.

IMO the two best choices for Cleric are Inny Human and Halfling. It's a tradeoff. The Human has the benefit of higher CHA and the snare necklace. The Halfling has the 5% XP bonus, hide and sneak. DE is also in the conversation with great aesthetics, Ultravision, hide and the snare neck, but DEs are obviously much less appealing on a server full of Guises.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:42 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No you should not pump Charisma, and yes you will be noticeably suffering from the low WIS if you do. +CHA gear is cheap and easily acquired, +WIS gear is more expensive and harder to come by. And every point of +WIS you get from stats means more slots you can instead devote to +Mana, +HP or +Resists, all of which you will benefit more from on a regular basis than CHA. For an easy example, consider that a low WIS Cleric will probably be forced to wear +WIS jewelry, while the high WIS Cleric can fill those slots with +HP jewelry and become much more sturdy.
Thank you for the lightning fast reply and incredible information. Makes a lot of sense and I now understand the concept of having a deep base to allow for the ability to swap and retain considerable wisdom without relying on every piece to support your main stat.

Do the clickable items for humans both snare and fear, retain their functionality throughout the game? Will velious mobs lose the effect of snare or fear more quickly or be less effective in general because of the level of the spell the items are actually casting? Are those items useful that late into the game?