Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-25-2020, 10:41 AM
Sarnak

Default Very hard to get server list when logging via WiFi

I understand, there is some kind of anti spam, anti bot attack against the server protection, that is causing this. But it is really hard for me to get a server list, when using WiFi. Sometimes after 30+ tries I just gave up for that day. i bet i tried over 30 times today already. Will try few more times, but it is starting to be a real drag. Many times I only have little time to play, I want to log in for a few minutes, do something quick, them leave, but with this problem... And I can't leave computer keep logged in once successful, since this one is weak and is getting hot...

I have read somewhere that there are certain setting I can change in my router. But there were no specific mentioned. Anyone can give any tips, how can I make this logging less painful? Sometimes this computer with wi-fi is my only option to log into the game
Last edited by pivo; 05-25-2020 at 10:43 AM..
Old 05-25-2020, 10:49 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Wifi vs Eternet is handled at the hardware and Internet protocol level. Any application under windows that uses sockets doesnt care wheather it is wifi vs ethernet. Your problem is likely just poor wifi connection, it has nothing to do with the game.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:18 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayde [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wifi vs Eternet is handled at the hardware and Internet protocol level. Any application under windows that uses sockets doesnt care wheather it is wifi vs ethernet. Your problem is likely just poor wifi connection, it has nothing to do with the game.
Probably I worded it poorly, my bad. I have no problem logging in, I log in every time I try. Problem is, servers list doesn't shows up. It is know problem when using wi-fi. When logging in via Ethernet, server list always shows up.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:40 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

yeah - its likely packet loss from the server request because of poor connection. There is nothing in the game thats like - *if using wifi* - *send incomplete server list* . google for a wifi mapper and check your conenction in that spot of your play area - packet loss would likely be very high.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:42 PM
Planar Protector

A VPN (like $5/month) will very likely fix it.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:49 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Yeah, VPN might fix it because the server request would happen at the VPN's servers side. However that might cause another level of pass through that could cause latency or other issues (doesnt really fix the underlying problem). Also, Loramin, correct me if im wrong, but im not sure admins would look kindly on VPNs as you could mask your ip to circumvent various p1999 rules?
Old 05-25-2020, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayde [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, VPN might fix it because the server request would happen at the VPN's servers side. However that might cause another level of pass through that could cause latency or other issues (doesnt really fix the underlying problem). Also, Loramin, correct me if im wrong, but im not sure admins would look kindly on VPNs as you could mask your ip to circumvent various p1999 rules?
I haven't been able to play without a VPN for at least a year now, and I regularly suggest it as a fix here in the forums. It is very much not, in any way, against the rules that I know of.

(Although, if you use it to get around the boxing limit, or otherwise break any other rule using it, then of course it is.)

Also, I haven't noticed any appreciable lag: you have to remember this game was designed for 1999 Internet [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:18 PM
Kobold

Take your laptop to within a few feet of your wireless AP/router/modem. Problem goes away? then you can buy a better wireless AP to solve the issue if you cant set up within wired distance.
Problem doesn't go away? VPN time.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:02 PM
Large Rat

I have the exact same problem. 99% of the time when i log in there is no server list.

But i found a fix that unfortunately may not be possible for everyone , let me explain : I'm using a total piece of garbage desktop computer, so garbage that it didnt even have a wifi card installed so i'm using a USB wifi dongle (or whatever its called).

Well my fix is pretty simple, before i log in i have to unplug/replug the USB Wifi dongle. This works 100% of the time, the servers will show up without fail for the rest of the day.

I have no idea what the unplugging does , maybe it resets some wifi setting somewhere. i tried many fix and this is the only thing i found that works.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:05 AM
Fire Giant

The server list sends via UDP which is lossy - this happens a lot with p99 on GNU/Linux hosts over WiFi in particular (probably MTU rate or something)

This tool fixes it: https://github.com/Zaela/p99-login-middlemand by running on a localhost port that then filters out all non-p99 servers from the list, resulting in a much higher rate of success.