Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 09-11-2022, 02:53 AM
Orc

I see, thanks for the correction. But one question. About the DpS of Water Elemental and the epic pet, is this with buffs or without?

And combining manastorm + sirroco + fully buffed pet, assuming everything hits and nothing resists(unlikely), can MAG deal how much DPS/DPtik?
Old 09-11-2022, 09:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordVictor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I see, thanks for the correction. But one question. About the DpS of Water Elemental and the epic pet, is this with buffs or without?
The DPS was with Burnout IV and a muzzle, so best buffs basically.

The only way to increase your DPS further would be to give the pet a weapon with at least 34 damage as it's base. Pets do Weapon damage x 2 if the number is greater than their natural maximum. So a 40 damage weapon would allow the epic pet to hit for 80. Sadly there aren't a lot of cheap options for higher damage weapons, and they are typically lore. You can't get the weapon back once you give it to a summoned pet. Same with a better haste item. You could give your pet a cheap haste item like Silver Chitin Hand Wraps, but you would lose them.

You could give them weapons with procs instead, but its the same issue as above. Not a lot of good proc weapons that specifically do good damage for cheap. There are other cheap proc weapons that provide utility, like gnoll hide lariat for stuns.

It isn't worth doing this in most cases, unless you are going to be somewhere for many hours, and think you can keep your single pet alive.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 09-11-2022 at 09:39 AM..
Old 09-13-2022, 02:08 AM
Planar Protector

Forget the haters, mages are fun where this game is fun, outside of the raid scene.
Old 09-13-2022, 03:37 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordVictor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

And combining manastorm + sirroco + fully buffed pet, assuming everything hits and nothing resists(unlikely), can MAG deal how much DPS/DPtik?
You will be a very dead mage if you try casting so many spells on a mob.
60 pets cannot hit, kick and proc as fast as you think they can, and they miss quite a lot.

I assume the 45 dps of a water pet is with Burnout (haste) and in a position where it can backstab mobs every time the skill refreshes. I don't think even FoS / Maniacal Strength / Avatar will give pet a dps boost, but I will have to test that again to confirm.

And to answer your initial question, no, unfortunately there is not real reason to pick a mage over a necro (aside from CotH and farming green mobs), necros are better than mages in every possible way.
Mages can give their pets a DS, a muzzle for 11% additional haste and jboot speed (Velocity), but Emissary of Thule is better than mages' regular pets

PS: yeah, as someone mentionned, the 1.1k lifetap uses an EE so forget about it unless your stupid rich, but Zum`ul / Touch of Night are great 720 Lifetaps and mage spells (fir / magic ) will often get resisted too
Old 09-13-2022, 03:42 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteaded [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Forget the haters, mages are fun where this game is fun, outside of the raid scene.
There is no hate to say a under-powered class is under-powered
Foxlich [60 Necromancer] Foxplosion [60 Wizard]
Foxstab [60 Rogue] /Foxcharming [60 Enchanter] / Foxfrenzy [60 Warrior]
Old 09-13-2022, 06:30 AM
Fire Giant

Yeah mages are kinda fun to lvl to 50,maybe 55. After that the pets just can't compete with good xp mobs,solo anyway
Mages don't really struggle to get xp groups though . Solid,kinda boring DPS class.
The 45dps I parsed was a max focused 60water per,burnout 4 and muzzle in velks lower dogs. It could probably do better against lower lvl mobs.

You can solo at 55 +, kurrat has a semi finished guide on the wiki with the few spots it's still effective.
Mages are limited by lacking cc, so a lot of the spots require a supply of root nets. Get used to root nets if you do anything fun on a mage.
Last edited by PatChapp; 09-13-2022 at 06:38 AM..
Old 09-13-2022, 09:30 AM
Planar Protector

So much more depth playing a necro. 0 mechanics playing a mage.
Old 09-13-2022, 01:56 PM
Planar Protector

I’ve played both to 60. Necros are by far the more powerful class globally. Massive toolkit includes extensive CC, charm, heals (both self and others), FD, rez, and a neato set of pets to boot. Great solo. Great in groups. All around a fantastic class.

It can get busy at times though if you want to maximize your contributions and play.

The only reason I can think of to play a mage main over a necro is if you want a chill, relaxing alt. With minimal effort you can put out top notch dps (better than necro unless charming). Super relaxing and powerful to boot.

If I could only play one I’d play necro.

Cool thing about p99 is you can play both.

I enjoy them both for very different reasons.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 09-13-2022, 08:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaarsuvius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You will be a very dead mage if you try casting so many spells on a mob.
60 pets cannot hit, kick and proc as fast as you think they can, and they miss quite a lot.

I assume the 45 dps of a water pet is with Burnout (haste) and in a position where it can backstab mobs every time the skill refreshes. I don't think even FoS / Maniacal Strength / Avatar will give pet a dps boost, but I will have to test that again to confirm.

And to answer your initial question, no, unfortunately there is not real reason to pick a mage over a necro (aside from CotH and farming green mobs), necros are better than mages in every possible way.
Mages can give their pets a DS, a muzzle for 11% additional haste and jboot speed (Velocity), but Emissary of Thule is better than mages' regular pets

PS: yeah, as someone mentionned, the 1.1k lifetap uses an EE so forget about it unless your stupid rich, but Zum`ul / Touch of Night are great 720 Lifetaps and mage spells (fir / magic ) will often get resisted too
Mages are like a old sunday driver car, the enjoyment is the chillness, relax and don't push it and you'll get many fun adventures out of it.
Old 09-13-2022, 09:28 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah mages are kinda fun to lvl to 50,maybe 55. After that the pets just can't compete with good xp mobs,solo anyway
Mages don't really struggle to get xp groups though . Solid,kinda boring DPS class.
The 45dps I parsed was a max focused 60water per,burnout 4 and muzzle in velks lower dogs. It could probably do better against lower lvl mobs.

You can solo at 55 +, kurrat has a semi finished guide on the wiki with the few spots it's still effective.
Mages are limited by lacking cc, so a lot of the spots require a supply of root nets. Get used to root nets if you do anything fun on a mage.
Thanks for the mention! That reminds me that I need to add a few more spots for 55 +

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>