Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 06:27 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New player questions

Hello, I'm new here and I would like to, if I may, ask few questions.

1. How's poppulation? Does zones feel empty, or there are players running around?
2. Which class would you recommend for a first playthrough?
3. Do I need any addons besides Lavish WinEQ?
4. Are there any beginners guides? I'm 31 yo, but never tried EQ before.
5. How are rates? XP/DROP etc.

Sorry for so much questions.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:36 AM
Fire Giant

1) Very populated. Server is usually between 700 and 2200 people lately. You'll be hard pressed to find a zone you're completely alone in.

2) A lot of people like to recommend Druid as the first class. Having lived the life of "first I'll play a druid and then make the classes I really want" myself, I would advise you to just make what you want to play. Druids are great, don't get me wrong, but there are a ton of them. If you really want to be pointed towards a starter class, most people will tell you to go Necro, Druid, Shaman, Magician, or Wizard.

3) No add ons are necessary, but a lot of people use stuff like DuxaUI, graphical enhancements, or Gina.

4) Check out the wiki, there is a levelling guide on the front page. Once you pick a class, all the class guides are pretty good, too.

5) Slow and low. Settle in.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:00 AM
Banned

This is a tough game to get into as a total newcomer.

I had never played EQ before P99, started with absolutely nothing save a few cheap things one of my RL buddies that convinced me to play gave me.

Definitely browse the wiki extensively before you roll a character and start playing. I've been playing here for years and I still keep a wiki page open while I play.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Adventure

Some of the guides are a little outdated, but still relevant for a 100% beginner.

I recommend a class that performs well in groups with very little money and are easy to play: magician, necro, cleric, druid, shaman, rogue.

For your first char, I'd stay away from enchanter, warrior, bard, and wizard (unless of course you read about the class and are 100% certain that's what you want).

This game is amazing, it just takes time and patience to really appreciate it. You don't really get a feel for your class / kit until somewhere around level 29 or 34. For you, this could potentially be months down the road depending on playtime and how much you use the in game players / wiki / forums for information.

Keep us posted here on what classes / playstyle you're leaning towards and we can help guide you from there.

Once you take the leap and hit "enter world," hit me up and I can get you started w/ some bags, a bit of plat, and some super cheap gear.
Last edited by kjs86z; 03-19-2019 at 10:04 AM..
Old 03-19-2019, 10:22 AM
Large Bat

1 - Very high population. Around 2,000 during peak hours. Some of the less popular zones will always feel empty, but overcrowding is more of an issue.

2 - Play whatever you think you'll enjoy. Necromancers are what I usually recommend for starting out because they are one of the least gear dependent classes in the game. You could level 1-60 completely naked if you wanted to.

3 - You don't need any add-ons

4 - wiki.project1999.com all the guides you'll ever need.

5 - Depends on the zone you're hunting in and what your race/class is.