Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Large Rat

Default Ogguk Merchant Faction

I'm a Troll Shaman of Innoruuk working on tradeskills. There's not a merchant that sells armor molds in Grobb. I can handle having to do the tradeskills in Ogguk, except that I'm dubious to everything there except Clurg (indifferent to him) and there's apparently no way to raise the faction so that I can buy from the merchants, so I'm stuck not being able to raise smithing, or any other tradeskills that require components from nearby Ogguk.

There is also no merchant in Grobb that sells basic Baking components such as Spices, Flour, Jug of Sauces, etc. These should be on Chopper Brenga, who is MIA.

I was a smith on live/classic also as a troll shaman of innoruuk and I was indifferent to everyone in Ogguk and Feerrott back then.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Orc

I posted about this about a month ago and the devs basically it was working fine.

The ogres are on the wrong faction. I cant remember for the life of me and havent had any luck finding the faction they are supposed to be on, but they are definantly messed up at the moment. Hopefully they will look into the problem a little further because is becoming a real pain only being able to bank in oggok but run to another zone to sell.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Kobold

I have this problem too. I'm tempted to start killing ogre guards for xp and loot since oggok is basically useless to me cept as a bank. Someone has told me basically roll an ogre because there is no way to raise oggok merchant faction.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Sarnak

you can raise faction with Clurg and the other guy in the same room who's also on clurg faction). that way you can sell in Oggok, but only to those 2 vendors.. who both sells boose.. but what else do you need [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Fire Giant

I'll vendor all your stuffz for 20%.

Mugatoo <Center For Ants>
45 Iksar Monk

"You can all go to hell, I'm going to Texas."
Old 05-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I posted about this about a month ago and the devs basically it was working fine.

The ogres are on the wrong faction. I cant remember for the life of me and havent had any luck finding the faction they are supposed to be on, but they are definantly messed up at the moment. Hopefully they will look into the problem a little further because is becoming a real pain only being able to bank in oggok but run to another zone to sell.
It may, *may* indeed be working as intended, although I'll admit I remember not having any trouble selling and buying from the merchants inside and outside of Oggok back on 2000-ish Live. That was as a Troll Shaman of Innoruuk. As of now, they're all dubious to me and refuse to sell (Troll Shaman of Innoruuk again).

I found the following post on Allakhazam referencing the Oggok factions (and how to raise with Crakneks). I would link directly to the post, but the link seems to be broken. Here's the page thread link instead, along with the exact post quoted below.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/f...tml?faction=88

Quote:
From Dubious to Amiable
Posted: Jun 10th 2001 6:02pm | IP: Logged | Reply to this
House
Scholar
32 posts
Score: Excellent
For anyone else trying to raise their faction with CraknekWarriors (presumably to complete the Gatorsmash Maul quest), I just wanted to pass along what I did to reach amiable with the guild. As a Troll Shaman follower of Innoruuk, my faction began at dubious.

1. The only quest the guild leaders would give me was Lizard Tails so I did this quest 41 times, which took me to apprehensive.
2. I did the Lizard Tails quest another 4 times.
3. Tired of killing lizards, I went to Crushbone and killed the Dwarven Smith 63 times. This brought me up to indifferent and opened up the Noble's Crest quest.
4. I turned in 5 Noble's Crests and killed Bunk Odon twice. This got me to amiable, finally opening up the Lork's Brother quest (which leads to the Gatorsmash Maul) and the Lizard Meat quest.

So, in summary:

Completed Lizard Tails quest 45 times
Killed Dwarven Smith 63 times
Killed Bunk Odon 2 times
Completed Noble's Crest 5 times

All that and my Clurg faction is still at dubious :-P

That said, the above post from Allakhazam doesn't reference the merchants at all, which means there's no way of knowing how our p1999 faction is messed up, since it only seems to be the merchants that are affected. As a troll, I recall being mostly indifferent to everyone in Oggok, save for possibly the SK guild and someone in Chef Dooga's room. Maybe Dooga herself or Clurg. I don't recall if Clurg was in there, I just remember avoiding that room like the plague.

However, I visited both the Oggok SK guild and Chef Dooga on my Troll Cazic-Thule SK without any issue. In fact, the the Ogre SK's conned kindly to me, even though the Troll SK trainers in Grobb give you a quest to kill Ogre SKs for their tunics. lol?

I don't quite know exactly what to make of all this, but I know that the faction in Oggok is definitely all screwed up!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Kobold

Alright, I've done a bit more poking around on my Troll Shaman (Innoruuk) in Oggok and on the net and I think the factions problems are thus:

On p1999 we either have incorrect or nonexistent factions for:
Merchants of Oggok

Upon visiting the SK guild on my troll shaman I discovered that I am dubious to them (same as to merchants)! However I am indifferent to the Crakneks, Shamans of War and the Oggok guards/Bouncers.

So one of two things has occurred:

1) Either the merchants are on Greenblood faction, which they should not be (see below).
2) More likely, the merchants are on Merchants of Ogguk faction (yes, some factions were incorrectly spell in classic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]), but the faction is just set incorrectly for troll shaman.

You can also see folks over on the EQClassic forums talking about the fact that Troll SKs are KoS to the Ogre SK guild. It seems my memory was a bit inaccurate, imagine that. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They also point out, as many players here have, that trolls regardless of class or deity were able to sell to merchants in Oggok. That's enough of a consensus for me that I can irrefutably say that our Merchants of Oggok faction isn't working as it was in classic.

Additonally, Troll Shaman were apparently dubious to Crakneks on classic (see my previous post) but are currently indifferent on p1999.

I believe that there is some sort of negative, possibly KoS faction between Clurg/Chef Dooga and some Troll classes but I haven't found any evidence yet. I will post here if I do.

Guide to Oggok factions, circa 2001-2002:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/zones.html?zstrat=9

Quote:
Raising Faction in Oggok
Posted: Mar 5th 2002 3:53pm | IP: Logged | Reply to this
Macnair
Sage
58 posts
Score: Excellent
RAISING FACTION IN OGGOK

Barbarian Shamans can buy alchemy ingredients in Halas, Thurgadin, Firiona Vie, and now Luclin. All of those are pretty far away, when you are in the southern end of Antonica. It would certainly be nice to buy alchemy ingredients from the vendors in Oggok.

In addition, Oggok would make a convenient bind point for many melees; and it would be nice to be able to run into Oggok and drop off loot and money at the bank there.

THE FACTIONS OF OGGOK.

Oggok Guards: the Bouncers who stand watch at particular guard posts, and patrol Oggok and Feerrott. This faction can be raised (see Strategy 2).

Craknek: the Ogre Warrior guild. This faction can be raised (see Strategy 2).

Greenblood: the Ogre Shadowknight guild. This faction can be raised (see Strategy 2, 4).

Shamen of War: the Ogre Shaman guild. This faction probably cannot be raised by KOS characters (but see Strategy 5).

Clurg: Clurg the bartender and Chef Dooga. This faction can be raised (see Strategy 2).

Oggok Merchants: All merchants except Clurg and Doog. It may or may not be possible to raise this faction (see Strategy 3).

Oggok Citizens: Various non-merchant NPCs in Oggok and Feerrott, low level, not dangerous.

STRATEGY 1 BUYING ALCHEMY INGREDIENTS. (Fairly easy, modest cost, does not enable banking. I have completed this strategy successfully.)

1A This strategy does not attempt to raise faction: instead, it goes around the faction problem.

1B Create an Ogre mule. Put max points into charisma. March him out to Feerrott to a safe spot (on the north wall, a short distance from the Oggok zone entrance, is good). Have your main character drop a couple of bags to your mule, and be sure to put some charisma items (crude stein, split paw neck) in one of those bags.

1C Convert 500 - 700 plat to gems. You want four stacks, more or less, all the same kind if you can. Much easier to carry four stacks of gems than all that heavy coin.

1D When you need alchemy ingredients, run to Feerrot and drop the gems to your mule. Have the mule pick up the gems, run into Oggok to the shop at +300 -340, sell the gems, buy your alchemy ingredients, and bring them back out to you. Best price in Halas to buy one stack each of fenugreek, wolfblood, and birthwart comes to 105 plat: your mule will have amiable faction and decent charisma, and will be able to buy those components for about 110 plat. Not bad, and after all it's only play money ... isn't it?

1E I don't recommend that you suffer the extra cost for potions above your skill level, to raise your alchemy. But when someone in Rathe, Guk, or Cazic wants to buy SoW or Shrink Potions and you are out of ingredients, this will enable you to make the sale, because you have created your own "middle man" who will buy alchemy components for you in Oggok.

STRATEGY 2 BANKING, BINDING, BUYING. (Long and involved, modestly expensive, does not enable alchemy or other specialized purchases. I have not yet completed this strategy.)

2A Getting Ingredients

Over time, collect 24 stacks of froglok meat. Every time you are in Feerrott or Innothule, recruit every troll and ogre player under level 10 to collect froglok meat for you. I have offered 1 gold per meat, or 2 plat per stack. I also created an ogre mule to purchase froglok meat that people had sold to merchants in Oggok and Grobb. I have about a dozen young recruits currently saving froglok meats for me.

Combine 1 froglok meat with 1 vinegar and 1 spices to make 1 pickled froglok. You need to use froglok meat, which looks like other kinds of meat, NOT froglok tad flesh, which looks like zombie skin.

24 stacks frog meat @ 2 plat per stack 48 plat
24 stacks vinegar @ 0.16 plat per stack 3.8 plat
24 stacks spices @ 0.16 plat per stack 3.8 plat
total 55 plat

2B Team up with a friendly druid. Invis; zone into Oggok. Have your druid friend cast wolf form on you.

2C Go see Chef Dooga at +200 -259. Turn in 3 pickled froglok and 10 gold. You will get an apron (lore item, destroy it), and +faction with Clurg, Oggok Guards, Craknek, and Greenbloods. 24 stacks is 480 pieces, thus this gives you 160 positive faction hits. I hope that this will be sufficient to raise faction from KOS to threateningly, which will mean the ability to move about Oggok freely, except for the guild houses: you will not get killed by the guard in the bank, or by the guard in Clurg's bar. Cost for 160 rounds: 160 plat in donations to Chef Dooga, plus 55 plat in ingredients, total 215 plat.

2D Various posts on the web suggest that 100 positive faction hits is NOT sufficient to raise you above KOS status. I do not know if 160 will be enough.

2E Is it worth the time and trouble? That's a big question. If it works with 24 stacks, I'll tentatively say Yes, it was worth it. If it turns out to take 40 stacks or more, it's not worth it. It's annoying to run back and forth to Freeport, but no matter how many times you have to do that, it will take less time than raising Oggok Guard faction.

STRATEGY 3 OGGOK MERCHANT FACTION. (If it worked, it would be great, but it appears to have been removed or disabled.)

3A It is reported on various web sites that you can turn in bread to Innkeep Murga or to Morpa in Feerrot to gain faction with Oggok Merchants. Some claim you must buy a Bag of Bread from one of the named centaurs in South Karana; others claim any bread or muffins will work just as well.

3B Giving various quantities of ordinary bread or muffins to either Innkeep Murga or to Morpa has no effect. Neither say anything about a quest for bread when hailed by an ogre character with amiable faction.

3C No named centaur in South Karana appears to be giving out quest bread at this time. Even if one did, and even with binding and gating, it would appear to be an enormous amount of travel back and forth to gain a single faction hit, when it will probably take 150 - 200 hits, or more, to raise faction sufficiently.

STRATEGY 4 GREENBLOOD FACTION. (Can be done while levelling up in Rathe Mountains. Not particularly useful. I have successfully completed this strategy.)

4A Two trolls guard a tower in the valley west of the central bug pillar in Rathe Mountains. One is a Shadowknight, the other is a Shaman. They are both level 35, they hit hard, they have pets, they use their spells fairly well, and the SK has a harmtouch for 351. They also give excellent experience from levels 42 through 47.

4B Killing the Shadowknight, Guard Shiznak, gives positive experience with Greenbloods. After I had killed Shiznak 178 times, I checked faction with Soonog, master of the Greenblood Shadowknight guild. Faction was threatening: no longer KOS. After having killed Shiznak another 136 times (total of 314 times), faction with Soonog had risen to dubious.

4C This does no good for buying and selling, because the merchants inside the shadowknight guild hall are on Oggok Merchant faction, rather than Greenblood faction. Thus even if Soonog comes to love me as a brother, I still won't be able to buy and sell with the merchants who work for him.

4D Now that I am not KOS I can do the lizard meat quest with Soonog, turning in lizard meats 4 at a time. Doing this yields a rusty 2 hand sword and +faction with Greenbloods and Clurg. Lizard meat is easier to come by than froglok meat, and you can hand it in directly instead of having to cook it first with other ingredients: but having better faction with Clurg has no particular value.

STRATEGY 5 SHAMEN OF WAR. (Impossible for KOS to fulfill? I have not attempted this strategy.)

5A It is reported that the Oggok Guild NPCs see through wolf form: if this is true, then even with wolf form it will not be possible to do this quest to raise faction with Shamen of War. But here's the quest, for those who want to try.

5B Obtain 32 stacks froglok tadpole flesh. These can be purchased by a mule in quantity from various vendors in Grobb. They do not have an unlimited supply, but they often will have multiple stacks because this is a common drop sold to merchants by newbie players. At an average price of 2 gold per stack, 32 stacks will cost 6 plat and change.

5C Turn in 4 froglok tad fleshies to Zulort, head shaman in the Oggok shaman guild. Yields burst of flame (level 1 shaman spell: just destroy it) and +faction with Shamen of War. 32 stacks is 640 pieces, 160 positive faction hits.

5D But for what? Shaman alchemy vendors are still on Oggok Merchant faction, not Shamen of War faction. With high enough faction I suppose I could train here in Oggok, but even if the quest were possible, it does not seem worth it to me.

Edited, Thu Mar 7 09:25:16 2002
----------------------------
Macnair (le Grand Mac)
Shaman 65
Last edited by Gamkek; 05-29-2010 at 10:39 PM..
Old 05-29-2010, 10:45 PM
Kobold

Concerning Chef Dooga/Clurg and Trolls:

Quote:
Cazic Worshipping trolls can not do this quest since they're KoS to Chef Dooga. I assume Innoruuk worshipping trolls have the same problem. I’ve only seen these for sale once, and they went for ~1000p. Maybe it’s because the quest is relatively unknown (or too tedious)...
Found here: http://www.notacult.com/guide_trollshaman.html

As of now on p1999, I brought my Cazic worshipping Troll SK to Dooga and she was friendly and would sell to me.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Kobold

Further evidence that Ogre and Troll SK guilds were not on good relations.

http://www.albrandes.com/skden/articles/starting.asp

Quote:
Ogre
See Troll. Only don't bother with the Troll Shadowknight guild cause they don't like you.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:10 AM
Kobold

Here's a great resource I found with some more info.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.g...c0d7b4416647cb

This is an archive of the newsgroup alt.games.everquest. It's got stuff going all the way back to 1999 and EQ's beta, which is pretty cool. Very easy to search the group, too, so I would definitely recommend checking this out for future research. The only downside is you need a Google account to log in and view the group - but, honestly, who doesn't have a Google account at this point?

Anyway, the linked thread shows some newbie and veteran troll players discussing Troll's KOS status in parts of Oggok, other cities and other faction concerns. In this thread troll players mention being KOS to an "innkeeper" who yelled something about hating Trolls which is Chef Dooga and/or Clurg. Another player also mentions being able to sell inside and outside of Grobb.

So we know two things:

1.) Clurg, Chef Dooga and anyone on Clurg faction needs to be changed to kill trolls on sight.
2.) Merchants of Oggok faction needs to be changed to indifferent for all trolls.
Closed Thread