Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 07:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snortles Chortles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
would you care to admit, that you're feeling a little silly right now?
Not on this one. I've sold enough items at asking price over the years to know lots of people really need to learn the above.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:33 AM
Sarnak

Another reason I don't list prices in auction is to reduce other sellers from undercutting me. I want to be in EC for the minimum amount of time possible so to be there listing something and have someone else run in an slash plat off the same item is annoying.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:00 PM
Planar Protector

just wanted to throw out some good advice from a purchasers stand point. I always ask the seller, "what is your rock bottom price?" More often than not, I am surprised how much people are willing to come down. This doesnt seem to work in EQ tunnel though.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:11 PM
Planar Protector

I’d like to say it’s strategy but 9/10 times it’s probably just people being lazy. I’m usually two whiskeys in. Type numbers?? Pshh.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Evia above explains it perfectly. The only issue I've come across are people that are adamant about you being the one that makes the first offer when they're advertising something they want to unload. For me, it usually goes down like this in a /tell.

(Me) "I am interested in the X item. How much did you want for it?"
(Them) "Make me an offer."
(Me) "Actually, that's not an answer to my question. You obviously have an idea of what you would want for the item. Go ahead and name it."
(Them) "Make me an offer and I'll tell you if it will work."
(Me) "Thank you for your time."

At this point I've had sellers waste about 6 to 8 /tells to me asking what my problem is or why I wouldn't make an offer if I wanted the item at all. I guess being polite about refusing to play the "the first person that makes the offer loses." game isn't acceptable to some folks.
You stick it out longer than I do. I'm more like this:

(Me) "I am interested in the X item. How much did you want for it?"
(Them) "Make me an offer."
(Me) "10p"
(Them) "..."
(Me) "Too low? Okay, your turn."

That, or I never respond to their "make me an offer"
Old 06-02-2020, 09:37 AM
Sarnak

Great answers to the question I posted. Seems like I got both sides of the coin and then some. Most of it makes perfect sense and is more or less what I was thinking would be the answer(s) given. Thanks for the replies, I now understand something more then I did before and that I appreciate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[56 Preserver] Petrified Wood (Wood Elf) <The Second Sons>
[60 Warlock] Deathand Darwinism (Iksar) <The Second Sons>
Old 06-03-2020, 03:27 PM
Planar Protector

Whoever speaks first in pretty much any negotiation is at a disadvantage. It is a strong move if you can force your adversary to accept his role in the relationship as dependent on you, rather than the other way around.

It usually is easily side-stepped by knowing the market price fluctuation and being sure of the value the item has to you.

Buyers on p99 generally have an advantage in most of the items for sale. If only because of the published average prices on the wiki. That sort of confidence didn't exist in classic EQ...you actually had to figure it out (by observing the market for yourself or asking people you trusted). I view the common practice of not listing prices on p99 to be a way for sellers to re-assert a little bit of power in the market...not that it matters in anything except super high end items.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:03 PM
Sarnak

Because putting text in there for pricing takes up space and you can't add as many items to your message. I hate having to put commas in even.

That's my reason anyway.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because putting text in there for pricing takes up space and you can't add as many items to your message. I hate having to put commas in even.

That's my reason anyway.
That is very good point. When you are selling 50 items or so, that is quite a few messages you have to keep track of, update, and re-send. From my experience, you can only really fit about 7-10 items per message, depending on the length of their name. The less text you need to write per message, the less total messages you have to write, and the easier it is to remove an item from a message when it is sold.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:11 PM
Planar Protector

I don't bother buying something where they are too lazy to put a price. It's annoying.
Closed Thread