Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 01:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can't believe i didn't mention daggerfall and morrowind. Daggerfall by far was amazing for what my tiny 8 year old brain could fathom. All the quests and the haunted king and orc fortresses, very intimidating and definitely can't forget the titties in the temple.

Morrowind might still be the pen-ultimate open world RPG. Skyrim looks shiny and is fun to play, but lacks the depth that chat dialogue vs. voice acted loops can offer. The world and towns are so small in Skyrim you have to constantly use your disbelief suspend to feel even slightly immersed. Oh this is your capital city? population 50.

Enough Bethesda rants, heres a link to daggerfall unity, enjoy! This is without a doubt, the daggerfall we didn't know we needed, and wish we had as kids! https://www.dfworkshop.net/

The scale they set for Daggerfall running on a freaking DOS platform still blows my mind. 100+ political factions. Multiple countries with different cultural aesthetics in clothing and architecture. Holidays. Diseases. 50+ regions. Infinite quests with procedural generation of dungeons. A main quest you're never gonna finish. 20 epic god quests. Get a loan from the bank. Buy a house. Buy a horse. Buy a boat. Rob a store. Go to jail. Be exiled from a town. Be a Vampire. Be a werewolf. <3 this game.

Back when I used to want to make video games, this game always served as my model of what's possible.
Last edited by Cecily; 06-27-2020 at 01:12 PM..
Old 06-27-2020, 01:21 PM
Kobold

Phantasy Star series back on Sega and Ultima 7+8
<Aanelenye> lvl 43 Paladin
<Vaalyun> lvl 48 Wizard
Blue chars: retired

Old 06-27-2020, 02:57 PM
Planar Protector

Ultima series pretty good and had boats too.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:01 PM
Fire Giant

Medieval Total War 2
Old 06-27-2020, 09:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ultima series pretty good and had boats too.
Most people din't get to play the utima's because of how expensive computers wee back then. Wizardy was also a similar one. Almsot the entire console/JRPG genre was developed as a combination of these 2 games/series.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:44 PM
Banned

Kings Quest (something)

Blew my mind as 13 year old.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnasP99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
FF tactics
I was having a totaly unrelated convo about how much I liked Vandal Hearts, and couldnt get into Ogre Battle, or FF tactics. But they are great games.

Warsong was another great strategy game from the old days, it's actually my first one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exard3k [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Phantasy Star series back on Sega and Ultima 7+8
My fave RPG of all time though man im thinking hard right now, I think its Phantasy Star II because that just was a formative game for me, and I love the look of the sci-fi, I feel its never been repllicated, like EQ, its been attempted but never quite captured what it was that I loved about it.

But hard nods to part I and part III both runner ups! Also Final Fantasy 2 (I thought 3 was bloated and had less heart than 2 IMO) is another close contender. Zelda for the Snes changed my life as did zelda for the Nes! This is tough!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Another major contender for me was Sword of Vermilion, It took me 15 minuets to realize I could just turn off my system after saving because it didn't go to the main menu, I was very young. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dradon Quest 3 SNES
I recently played through Dragon Quest 1, it was too hard when I was a kid for me to get through but it was one I always wanted to stick a flag in, now I should try 2 and 3!
Last edited by Jibartik; 06-28-2020 at 12:32 AM..
Old 06-28-2020, 12:40 AM
Planar Protector

What about gameboy games, there were a few RPGs there that totally blew my mind!

My favorite was a cross between Zelda & Final Fantasy, but they also had legends which was more traditional, and just as good as the old final fantasy games.

It felt like to me playing final fantasy on a gameboy was like holding ainchent tombs in my hand, it was so much more personal and magical to me.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Man nostalgia is a powerful drug!
Old 06-28-2020, 12:45 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Faxanadu

This game was like rust for NES lol its the best! Almost, forgot all about it!

Another great Nes RPG:

I always wanted to know how to play Y's but I never have figured that out:

Oh oh oh how could I forget this little treasure, are you a fan of GOLDEN AXE? are you a fan of RPGs?

Well then I have a game for you! Axe Battler! This little number was like my special magic RPG that only I knew about. Its basically Golden Axe + an RPG!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB8LyyYoUj8

Last edited by Jibartik; 06-28-2020 at 12:57 AM..
Old 06-28-2020, 05:52 AM
Planar Protector

Honorable mention Wild Arms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq8EKttSu3I