Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 10:59 AM
Large Bat

Default Horrible ping, is VPN allowed?

I play from overseas and am getting 250-300 ping with lag spikes here and there. Normally this isn't an issue until I start kiting mobs. Long story short: plenty of deaths resulting from inconsistent ping. So here I am.

I'm sure VPN would improve my speed and decrease lag spikes... but given you're not allowed to 2 box here, chances are there might be people using same VPN as me and we might end up playing from same VPN IP address which would qualify us for a ban...

Is there no cure for my disease? Or is doctor VPN ok here?
Old 01-19-2019, 11:05 AM
Kobold

If someone else is logged in on the IP you're using the game automatically refuses to connect you to the server, you get a pop-up at server select screen. That's why when you go LD you can't get back to character select until the character is booted from the game.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:13 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If someone else is logged in on the IP you're using the game automatically refuses to connect you to the server, you get a pop-up at server select screen. That's why when you go LD you can't get back to character select until the character is booted from the game.
Doesn't that only happen when you try to log in your account when your account character is still active? Like when you DC'd, /exit or rage quit (ctrl+alt+del) rather than using /camp function to exit.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:29 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilaw1115 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Doesn't that only happen when you try to log in your account when your account character is still active? Like when you DC'd, /exit or rage quit (ctrl+alt+del) rather than using /camp function to exit.
No you can't log in to a different account either. I.e. You /q on Account 1, toon you immediately try to log in to Account 2 you will be blocked until the toon on Account 1 is booted.

People would be getting flagged all the time for boxing if you could just /q and instantly log in to your other account since a lot of people on P99 have multiple accounts.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:59 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No you can't log in to a different account either. I.e. You /q on Account 1, toon you immediately try to log in to Account 2 you will be blocked until the toon on Account 1 is booted.

People would be getting flagged all the time for boxing if you could just /q and instantly log in to your other account since a lot of people on P99 have multiple accounts.
Ahh I see, so would it be safe to assume if I can log in from the VPN I use, there shouldn't be an issue of using VPNs?
Old 01-19-2019, 12:42 PM
Kobold

I lived in the Middle East for a few years and had a VPN on pretty much all the time and never had any issues with running P99.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:54 PM
Banned

I used an algo vpn when I was using my cell phone as internet access. Worked well, but it did not reduce my ping. Do you understand how a VPN works? It's almost impossible that it would reduce your ping unless your internet provider is screwing with your connection. If I'm wrong about this fact, please educate me.
Last edited by bomaroast; 01-19-2019 at 01:04 PM..
Old 01-19-2019, 12:59 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomaroast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I used an algo vpn when I was using my cell phone as internet access. Worked well, but it did not reduce my ping. Do you understand how a VPN works? It's almost impossible that it would reduce your ping unless your internet provider is screwing with your connection.
Which ironically was the case for me the majority of the time I was there, then again it only reduced it from 400 to 215+/- 20....when that wasn't the case it made my ping worse.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:33 PM
Planar Protector

I used to use a VPN when I had a dodgey router that would drop my connection all the time, that fixed a lot of problems for me and nobody gave me any hassle over it.
Closed Thread