Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 11:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Agnarr and Phinny (and all progression servers) are pay2play, so they have a $15/month subscription for EQGold. You can also RMT by purchasing Kronos from the shop. Kronos allow you to trade subscription time to other players for in-game currency or items. They can use the Kronos to extend their own subscription or you could be the farmer that trades items/PP for Kronos to extend your own subscription having only having paid the initial $15 for the first month (or you can see if you can muster enough PP to buy a Krono on a free-to-play server if you still have your original account from classic that might have a few legacy items you can trade). Alternatively, you can be a whale and spend lots of real-life money on lots of Kronos and start off with BIS droppable in every slot.

You can also pay for in-game perks like extra EXP, so the game is pay2win/pay2play and RMT enabled. I'm honestly confused why they still have a subscription fee with micro-transactions, but it's so obviously just a cash-grab for DBG that I'm worried that they could flip the IP at any second, and then the quality of the product gets drained even lower.
I am at a loss for words.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrubwise [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This.

... because it is a completely different game. I paid my $15, downloaded the live client and logged in. Logged out shortly after. Agnarr, while offering time locked content, is not classic EverQuest. Just run into your nearest newbie zone and check out the mobs. I even saw a wizard running around with some insane, not-classic staff. It's not wrong; it's just different, and it doesn't offer the same thing that P99 does. Apples to oranges.
No offense but there are hundreds of posts on here about what to expect from TLP servers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Agnarr and Phinny (and all progression servers) are pay2play, so they have a $15/month subscription for EQGold. You can also RMT by purchasing Kronos from the shop. Kronos allow you to trade subscription time to other players for in-game currency or items. They can use the Kronos to extend their own subscription or you could be the farmer that trades items/PP for Kronos to extend your own subscription having only having paid the initial $15 for the first month (or you can see if you can muster enough PP to buy a Krono on a free-to-play server if you still have your original account from classic that might have a few legacy items you can trade). Alternatively, you can be a whale and spend lots of real-life money on lots of Kronos and start off with BIS droppable in every slot.

You can also pay for in-game perks like extra EXP, so the game is pay2win/pay2play and RMT enabled. I'm honestly confused why they still have a subscription fee with micro-transactions, but it's so obviously just a cash-grab for DBG that I'm worried that they could flip the IP at any second, and then the quality of the product gets drained even lower.
I agree with everything you said Sammy. For people like me who enjoyed EQmac, this is as close to its replication as we're getting. I will casually ride it out on Agnarr until Pantheon hits or fails.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:50 AM
Banned

Look at this guy! With his crazy thought experiment.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Sarnak

What's Agnarr?
Old 09-08-2017, 12:15 PM
Kobold

Quote:

This is a complete mischaracterization. Krono are just another form of currency you can use in game. To pretend it somehow magically enables RMT that didn't already exist is laughable at best and just dishonest at worst.

How exactly do xp pots make anything pay to win? You guys keep saying that but its simply not true. Pay to win is when I can buy a sword or armor in a cash shop that's more powerful than the one you can get adventuring. Pay to win is when I can buy higher damage spells and clickable items that actually affect something in the game. Giving an XP boost is not pay to win, at beast its pay to get to the cool shit a little faster than you normally would have but its not some game breaking advantage by any stretch of the imagination. Seriously, "omg I maxxed my aa a week faster than I was going to normally". That's literally what you are calling pay to win. you need to re-evaluate your definition of winning.

If you want to talk xpac launches and that type of thing, xp pots can be useful if there is a level increase but DB gives you 3 xp pots per month just for subscribing so you can save those up and not spend a dime on them for xpac launches. everyone has that same opportunity so again, hardly pay to win. From being in one of the top two guilds in every xpac on phinny, I can assure you xp pots were not a factor in coming in first or second.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdjoseywales [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is a complete mischaracterization. Krono are just another form of currency you can use in game. To pretend it somehow magically enables RMT that didn't already exist is laughable at best and just dishonest at worst.

How exactly do xp pots make anything pay to win? You guys keep saying that but its simply not true. Pay to win is when I can buy a sword or armor in a cash shop that's more powerful than the one you can get adventuring. Pay to win is when I can buy higher damage spells and clickable items that actually affect something in the game. Giving an XP boost is not pay to win, at beast its pay to get to the cool shit a little faster than you normally would have but its not some game breaking advantage by any stretch of the imagination. Seriously, "omg I maxxed my aa a week faster than I was going to normally". That's literally what you are calling pay to win. you need to re-evaluate your definition of winning.

If you want to talk xpac launches and that type of thing, xp pots can be useful if there is a level increase but DB gives you 3 xp pots per month just for subscribing so you can save those up and not spend a dime on them for xpac launches. everyone has that same opportunity so again, hardly pay to win. From being in one of the top two guilds in every xpac on phinny, I can assure you xp pots were not a factor in coming in first or second.
Krono, purchased directly from the cash shop, can absolutely be used for pay to win purposes. Your guild was (is? not sure because I don't play on Phinny anymore) one of the most popular guilds to sell high end raid loot for Krono. You guys were selling Vulak loot once you had it on farm status/split raiding.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:31 PM
Planar Protector

I wouldn't take the term pay2win so literally. Like in candy crush, I could buy bonus items to help clear some hard levels if I wanted to (imagine I just said am exp potion). Buying stuff with cash to get an advantage in game is what they call pay2win. Buying stuff with cash to obtain useful items is pay2win.

If you spent $1 cash money to buy 1 copper then you followed the pay2win model of the game.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:40 PM
Banned

I was going to guess unemployment. I don't know why GMs would make it better. They could be replaced by a corpse recovery NPC.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:40 PM
Fire Giant

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckoning [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What's Agnarr?
it a destructive emotion of little value beyond stirring occasional resolve. there are far better visceral responses that foster better outcomes.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I will probably still make a Beastlord on Agnarr when I am able. I may only last 1 subscription cycle but I am going to give it a legitimate chance
I am ok with this as long as ogre and epic'd
Closed Thread