Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 09:16 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
These games always looked the coolset to me but even as an adult I have a hard time playing them, I want to get into them so bad!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
good ole SSi games i recall it was 1992 when i was mind blow by the cult classic eye of the Beholder
Old 06-28-2020, 09:21 PM
Fire Giant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Might_...date_of_Heaven

the best of all the saga , was big as hell , but it was the downturn of the rpgs in the 90s with the more hack and slash themed nature growing bigger and bigger
Old 06-28-2020, 09:44 PM
Planar Protector

Diablo.

best storyline, music and combat of any game I had played up to its release. Everything before Diablo felt like a digitized version of a card game.

Funny enough, the original lead Developer was going to make Diablo a turned based RPG, but after seeing what the game was like in Live Action, he decided against it - thank goodness.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Idk about best rpg, but I’m playing Divinity Original Sin 2 and it’s been pretty good.
just bought this and having a hard time with the turn based combat. I never liked TB-RPGs.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:47 AM
Planar Protector

Oh man, these mentions of great games if giving me the itch to install some emulators on my PC and replay some of these.

Breath of Fire 3, loved the hell out of that one.
Wild Arms
Xenogears

Ahhhhhhhh!

Played the shit out of Landstalker and Shadowrun on Sega Genesis too.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:17 PM
Large Bat

Seiken Densetsu 3 (aka Secret of Mana 2)

Was released in japan only, so we had to wait for a fan translation here in NA, but it was well worth the wait. More of an action-rpg, comes with a cast of 6 characters from which you choose 3 to form your party. Each has a class unique to their character with the ability to class change twice (4 final classes for each character) so a decent amount of customization and great replay value. There's also three different final dungeons based on whom you choose to be your main char and a final boss unique to this decision. The story ties together quite well as long as you can look past the questionable points in the translation (they did a good job overall but it's still rough around the edges.)
I put a ton of hours into this one, running full melee teams and full magic based squads. The music is great, its light-hearted with some sad moments here and there. The cut scenes could have used a bit more work in my opinion, as well as a few spells being bugged to the point of uselessness, but overall its a great playthrough. Two player compatible too (as well as 3 player with a patch on the emulator!)

Terranigma was a hidden gem too, a pseudo sequel to Soul Blazer/ Illusion of Gaia. More of an action-rpg again with an amazing story, for anyone who loves history this game will satisfy that itch. I don't think this one was released in NA either, but it's definitely worth checking out. It's a bit of a brain teaser as well, I had a hard time to playthrough without looking up a guide from time to time.

On the topic of games we never got in NA (until later at least,) Final Fantasy V was a great installment to the series. A great job system (the game where they perfected it) with a jovial story and awesome world transitions. Maybe there's a few holes in the plot but overall its good and the characters have a decent amount of depth to them (albeit its mostly in optional cut scenes)

Here's a controversial one, and a skip from the Snes platform to Playstation: Chrono Cross. I loved it, I thought it had a great and complex story, the battle system was fun, but my favorite aspect of this game was the soundtrack. The music of this game is by far my favorite of any game. Maybe there's a few characters too many in this game, but it was still great to collect the vast cast and see their unique skills put to use. The visuals were great for its time and it certainly wasn't a walk in the park. Better than Chrono Trigger? Definite no. Still a great game imo.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:49 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfrudeness [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (aka Secret of Mana 2)
Is this "Trials of Mana"? I believe they just recently released a remake of this for the Switch which I've been interested in trying.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:07 PM
Large Bat

Yeah, Trials of Mana is the remake of Seiken Densetsu 3. Haven't played it myself so I can't comment on how it holds up. It looks like they overhauled the combat system pretty much, which is nice because a carbon copy remake is kind of boring.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:47 AM
Decaying Skeleton

I wanted to try it
Old 07-01-2020, 05:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
just bought this and having a hard time with the turn based combat. I never liked TB-RPGs.
I don’t much care for turn based combat either, but it hasn’t bothered me too much yet. Story makes up for it thus far.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Closed Thread