Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-25-2021, 01:37 PM
Fire Giant

Default Quit 99, Bought a ARM Chromebook to prevent relapse, and now have hours of 3 time...

So you need wine to play 99 on a chromebook right?
And you can't install wine on an ARM chromebook right?

I get error messages trying to install wine, I made a copy of my own legitimate iso's but don't see how I could install 99 but there's no point if I need wine and can't have it.

I'm gonna be working nightshifts and have bags of free time, help me relapse lol, or at least rule out once and for all it's not possible...
Old 02-25-2021, 02:28 PM
Large Bat

I think you have 2 options here, regular WINE iirc does not and will not run on a ARM Chromebook, however you can find success using Crouton installing it on the linux OS by enabling developer mode. Should work fine from there on out. You can also just buy some years old i5 or i7 laptop off something like Facebook Marketplace, there is a bunch I have seen for only $100, of course YMMV depending on your area.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:00 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrenell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think you have 2 options here, regular WINE iirc does not and will not run on a ARM Chromebook, however you can find success using Crouton installing it on the linux OS by enabling developer mode. Should work fine from there on out. You can also just buy some years old i5 or i7 laptop off something like Facebook Marketplace, there is a bunch I have seen for only $100, of course YMMV depending on your area.
Ok I'm a real newb at linux stuff.
Apparently I have DEBIAN GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
It has the default chome os, but I use linux by opening up this command line looking thing that's apparently called Penguin.

Is Crouton a different version of linux?

Can I overwrite/have both versions of linux under the hood while still keeping the default Chrome OS I've grown used to?

Do I enable developer mode now, or I'd be doing that once I have Crouton?
Old 02-26-2021, 01:13 AM
Large Bat

Here you go my man, this is a nice complete guide on how to:
https://www.codedonut.com/chromebook...u...%20More%20
You should be able to install WINE on the Linux side after getting it all running.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:08 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrenell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here you go my man, this is a nice complete guide on how to:
https://www.codedonut.com/chromebook...u...%20More%20
You should be able to install WINE on the Linux side after getting it all running.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/Crouton/com...rm_chromebook/

Are you sure? Based on the comments it won't make 99 run?
Old 02-26-2021, 12:06 PM
Large Bat

I have limited expertise with chromebooks, especially the ARM ones so I apologize. I just know its possible with those types but have never messed with it myself and didnt know the limitations. It does look like youre kinda SOL with the type of chromebook youre running. The only suggestion would be like I mentioned before, a cheap i series laptop from some years ago which will be more than capable of running p99. Another option is some offbrand windows based tablets which can be had for $80-100ish. You could switch to a intel based one too, but then I would ask why not just a regular windows laptop?
Old 02-26-2021, 12:17 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
I have limited expertise with chromebooks, especially the ARM ones so I apologize. I just know its possible with those types but have never messed with it myself and didnt know the limitations. It does look like youre kinda SOL with the type of chromebook youre running. The only suggestion would be like I mentioned before, a cheap i series laptop from some years ago which will be more than capable of running p99. Another option is some offbrand windows based tablets which can be had for $80-100ish. You could switch to a intel based one too, but then I would ask why not just a regular windows laptop?
Yeah guess my plan worked too well.

I'm going to have 8 hour night shifts with nothing to do. FML.
I could buy a random laptop from FB marketplace or something I guess... But in theory I could move around every few months and don't want more stuff. I'm a brit living in portugal... Covids fucked everything.