Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-23-2021, 11:59 PM
Aviak

Hello,

I have no experience with Wineskin or anything, I downloaded it and when I opened it, it shows a small box showing an empty list named "Installed Engines" and then below that it says "Wrapper version" but there is nothing installed, it also is showing a button where I can download packages manually. I have been clicking around and there are many threads talking about wrappers and such but I do not know how to go about using these to get the game to run.

After downloading Wineskin, what are my next steps to get the game installed?
Old 02-27-2021, 11:32 AM
Kobold

I set up P99 on Parallels w/ Windows 10, pretty much entirely so that I can finally use GINA. P99 seems to work okay so far, but a couple of problems:

One problem I'm encountering is that I can't get logs to stay on by default, even with "Log=TRUE" in my eqclient.ini file. I have to "/log on" every time I log in for them to turn on. Any idea how to solve this?

Also, any time I /q or 30% of the time when I successfully camp, I crash with a "Everquest has detected that your client has crashed" message. Any advice here?

I'm also getting weird washed out gamma for some time when I minimize and restore the P99 window as well as after zoning.

Would be grateful for any help.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:10 PM
Aviak

Sounds like people are getting it (somewhat) functioning on M1 chip using parallels program. Has anyone tried this and found it to fail/unplayable? Just asking so I don't fork up the money upfront. Glad to see people's success.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:28 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanzzYolo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like people are getting it (somewhat) functioning on M1 chip using parallels program. Has anyone tried this and found it to fail/unplayable? Just asking so I don't fork up the money upfront. Glad to see people's success.
So far using Parallels on an M1 I keep getting memory read errors when I try to log in. Have yet to find a solution.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:31 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henlolizar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I set up P99 on Parallels w/ Windows 10, pretty much entirely so that I can finally use GINA. P99 seems to work okay so far, but a couple of problems:

One problem I'm encountering is that I can't get logs to stay on by default, even with "Log=TRUE" in my eqclient.ini file. I have to "/log on" every time I log in for them to turn on. Any idea how to solve this?

Also, any time I /q or 30% of the time when I successfully camp, I crash with a "Everquest has detected that your client has crashed" message. Any advice here?

I'm also getting weird washed out gamma for some time when I minimize and restore the P99 window as well as after zoning.

Would be grateful for any help.

As far as the client crashing if you set eq to run in windows xp comparability mode it usually clears that problem up.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:17 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonkain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So far using Parallels on an M1 I keep getting memory read errors when I try to log in. Have yet to find a solution.
Use dgVoodoo and it will solve this problem. I did this on my M1.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:49 AM
Kobold

I think I've got some good news for users of the M1 Mac chips. I was really just trying anything. Even though I haven't played any serious matter of time in several years, I feel like I just have to have access to the game. As you know if you're reading this, the combination of lack of 32 bit capability in Catalina or above, No Boot Camp, and issues with running windows VM's makes this a more complicated prospect.

ISSUES:
- I just couldn't get Crossover to work. I used the latest engine and I even downloaded all the titanium iso's to do a fresh install. Install actually worked, but no combination methods of starting everQuest up worked. I tried reading everything I could, and this was very frustrating. For a while there it would actually start but then crashed as I logged in. Now it just won't start.
- Similar issues with Wine. I downloaded the most recent files from wineskin winery. I tried different combinations of engine and wrapper. I copied the clean EverQuest folder I had installed in CrossOver. In the end I just couldn't get it to even load. I could see all the processes in activity monitor, and there were a lot. But I just couldn't get to any UI screen.
- Originally I had tried to run it in the Parallels technical preview, and I would be able to get to the login screen. However, as soon as I tried to login it would crash. Someone else I had mentioned using DGVoodoo, but honestly I couldn't get that to work (not that I actually understood it). In the end, parallels was the solution, but I just didn't put enough time into it initially because I kind of assumed it would never work.

Getting P99 to work in Paralells Tech Preview on Windows On ARM:
- I won't get into running windows on an M1 Mac. There are absolutely a ton of videos out there and honestly it's not very difficult. It's pretty shocking to me actually how well this works. Not to mention how incredibly fast it is compared to my previous experience with virtual machines. I've always needed a trimmed down version of windows as a virtual machine because my printer plays nicer with windows (for some reason I just can't get macOS to print mixed size Pages with my brother printer using "fit" as opposed to "actual size" ... I won't bore you but it's been drive me nuts for about seven years)
- I didn't install EverQuest into the virtual machine, I just dropped the folder I had originally installed in CrossOver. I already had an everquest folder, but I wanted to rule out any potential glitches so I just used fresh install from CrossOver. I would imagine your current eq folder would work just fine.
- I right clicked on the EQgame.EXE and changed the compatibility mode to Windows XP service pack two. This (at least alone) didn't fix the crashing when opening EQ. However I did leave the setting, so it may have helped.
- What did help is on that same compatibility screen changing the windows 10 on arm emulation settings. Change the setting to safe emulation and apply. This gets me past the crash when logging in.
- That's it! I wish I didn't waste all that time on Wine and Crossover, as this is a much better solution. It runs blazingly fast and so far I haven't seen any issues. I crashed the first time when zoning, but not since.

Play Experience Tweaks:
I recommend the Following:
  • In the VM, turn up mouse pointer speed all the way (Control Panel)
  • Go to additional mouse options, make sure the pointer speed is all the way to fast, but uncheck enhance winter precision. If you don't, at least for me, the mouse was incredibly slow when playing.
  • Adjust the mouse pointer size in the VM. It seems to carry over into the game.
  • In the VM configuration, under mouse and keyboard, optimize the mouse and keyboard for games. This will help a lot with mouse look for sure. As well as delay on Keyboard. Just hit control-alt to release this feature.
  • For me, full screen didn't work (I didn't try hard). I just edited the EQclient.ini to force windowed mode and set the resolution to pretty close to my real resolution for full screen. There are plenty other places in this room that discussed setting video mode. I'll tweak this later

Final Note:
This all may have been incredibly obvious to anyone else. But I wasted so much time trying to get wine to work but I just want to save other people some headaches. Maybe wine will be a better option in the future, but for now at least, parallels with windows on arm is working terrific. I haven't tested it extensively, but so far so good. The solution may also allow the use of other windows apps like Gina (I think this is still allowed?)

Good Luck !
Chimeran - 36 DE Enchanter
<The Mystical Order>
Old 03-02-2021, 09:30 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone else on M1 using Parallels encountering this reddish tint to certain environments? EC tunnel being a huge one
Yes. I am experiencing that as well. More predominant in some zones? WC?EC? Maybe sand or just clipping issue? TBH, I am just happy this game is working, but I will tweak it more as I go. Please let me know if you figure something out, I will as well.
Chimeran - 36 DE Enchanter
<The Mystical Order>
Old 03-27-2021, 01:00 PM
Aviak

Works great with eqlive using parallels and the new MacBook Air with the m1.

https://youtu.be/lFkTvy3sPsY

Gonna try EQtitanium install now.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:53 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by koala [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Use dgVoodoo and it will solve this problem. I did this on my M1.
Can you explain your process installing dgVoodoo?

I downloaded dgVoodoo and placed new directX (D3D8.dll, etc.) files directly into the Everquest folder, I'm assuming I didn't do this correctly because I'm getting the same error when running EQ.