Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Planar Protector

roll an iksar shaman.

You don't have to be fat, you're (sort of) unique because everyone thinks iksar shammys suck w/o jbb (they dont), you can melee, you can even tank to some extent with your slows, you can root rot, kite, use your pet, heal people, buff people to insane levels, haste, oh and canni dancing means you basically never stop killing.

plus, as an iksar shaman, you get (imo) the fastest leveling track in the game group/solo: FoB -> kurns around 13-14 -> WW around 24 -> highkeep at 33ish - > low 40's go to com and have epic by 52.

this means ALL of your leveling spots except ONE are within arms reach of cabilis, which, btw, has every vendorable shaman spell in the game conveniently located around the city (instead of having to run all over the place to get some of the harder to get ones).

theres a reason shamans are so popular! And come velious when you can wear all the cool plate stuff you're unstoppable.

do it. you'll be happy you did!

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk View Post
gotrocks community savior
Old 09-29-2013, 07:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrocks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
roll an iksar shaman.

You don't have to be fat, you're (sort of) unique because everyone thinks iksar shammys suck w/o jbb (they dont), you can melee, you can even tank to some extent with your slows, you can root rot, kite, use your pet, heal people, buff people to insane levels, haste, oh and canni dancing means you basically never stop killing.

plus, as an iksar shaman, you get (imo) the fastest leveling track in the game group/solo: FoB -> kurns around 13-14 -> WW around 24 -> highkeep at 33ish - > low 40's go to com and have epic by 52.

this means ALL of your leveling spots except ONE are within arms reach of cabilis, which, btw, has every vendorable shaman spell in the game conveniently located around the city (instead of having to run all over the place to get some of the harder to get ones).

theres a reason shamans are so popular! And come velious when you can wear all the cool plate stuff you're unstoppable.

do it. you'll be happy you did!
qft
Old 09-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Planar Protector

After many many many alts myself (I have 0 level 60 toons, best ive done is mid to upper 50s on a few different classes.... and I've been here since mid 2010), I've finally settled on shaman as well. I've been Enchanter, Monk, Bard, Cleric, Necro, and numerous low level alts...... play whatever you enjoy. I have enjoyed them all, but so far shaman feels the best fit...... and I kept putting off shaman because I was a shaman / monk duo on live and swore I'd avoid both here, failed horribly at that [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Former Guide

Ranger =)
Old 09-30-2013, 07:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen1080 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shaman at 60 is arguably the best solo class in game along with enchanter and necro.

As far as enchanter not directly contributing. With a charmed pet you do more dps than any person in the group. With a good pet sometimes I do more dps than the group combined. That is along with providing great buffs and cc to group. But it is not a lazy mans class. Same as bard
+1
Old 09-30-2013, 08:35 AM
Planar Protector

I really would not call a Shaman a lazy mans class either. They are really busy if you are the only healer in a group, and even solo they are swapping out spells a lot, even more in groups. And Cani keeps you always busy. But yes a great class for both grouping and solo.

When Velious comes out you will be very glad you rolled one. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-30-2013, 09:30 AM
Sarnak

You're not really going to be a very successful soloer if you're meleeing, unless you're twinked to the gills. Even people who point to monk may be thinking of a pretty severely twinked monk.

I'll break down the possibilities that I think you'll like:
melee soloers: monk and semi-twink shaman. semi-twink shaman means pulling with drowsy, dotting, and wailing away with a huge 2h, like poison wind censor. pretty darn effective.

melee groupers: monk as mentioned, and bard. Bard allows you to melee a bit in groups, and when you can't find a group you can find a kiting partner and level faster than anyone in the game. Keeping 3 songs up isn't really that challenging, and most classes end up pressing the same 3 buttons.

pet casters: druid, mage and enchanter. Your pet, at least, will be able to engage the mob and fck it up. An enchanter with a rogue npc charmed is a godly phs dmg dpser in groups.

If I had to narrow em down further, I think you'd like the melee shaman, monk, or druid best. Druid is a good choice because you can always port whore for cash, and that cash would go a long way toward twinking a melee dpser.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Fire Giant

Warriors can overcome pretty much all of their shortcomings on this server. If you are looking to group someone should be able to root. Get the mobs rooted and stand closest for 100% proximity agro. GG you just overcame your threat issues while preventing runners at the same time. You can also obtain rechargable agro clickies. I carry bags full of these on my war allowing for snap agro and some clutch CC in a pinch. That said warriors are hugely gear dependant and are probably not ideal to play up to 60 for your first class. Doable but not ideal. Warriors also get invis clickies, tash sticks, snare whip, and for mobilization get jboots, ot hammer and wc cap like everyone else at high level. With fungi and some decent haste/weapons warriors can solo into the 50s at a decent pace and slower beyond that. Bring bandaids.

My recomendation to you would be the SK. Less gear dependant to group up to 60. Has the ability to solo up to 60 (may be quite slow). Probably has a bit more potential to solo cash camps than a warrior at high level. Harder timefinding groups than warriors due to xp penalty being shared by the group. But you get access to all the tricks from spells rather than clickies and expensive gear.

Either are viable but sk would be able to solo a few mobs while looking for a group easier than a non twinked warrior.

Edit: I really cannot express enough love for the warrior. Depending on what your goals are in game you can also access hide and sneak, allowing for sneak pulling in some areas. This is probably the one area that an SK will always outshine a warrior: pulling. Dont forget warriors also get access to a slow procing 2 hander adding even more utility to their kit. Oh and did I mention stun? 55+ kick stuns. If you see a caster/healer casting, spin around and kick him in the back for 100% chanceto interrupt. Done correctly you can lock down a low hp mob trying to heal or spare yourself that 800+ hp nuke to the face.

Sure all warriors get baseline is kick and and taunt but they have huge potential late game.
Last edited by Elements; 09-30-2013 at 12:48 PM..
Old 09-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Aviak

Thanks again for all the input.

Shaman sounds tempting but I reeeeeally don't like relying entirely on mana, which is why I'm real big on melee classes.

My monk is only level 9, but I do enjoy it quite a bit. Funny thing is I did make a shaman but didn't play her much before hopping over to the monk.

I won't be deleting my ranger anytime soon (even though I want the name, damn it!) as I am holding out hopes that after Velious has been out a while, the server developers may look into making their own "classic-themed" expansions, sort of a "the way it should have been" type deal.

Certainly, if monk becomes boring or I can't get used to pulling, I will try shaman!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elements [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
warriors have huge potential late game.
No argument from me there, but the road is long. Aside from leveling up to 60, you have the most gear dependent class in the game, and most of the gear you need is difficult to get without joining TMO.

I spent 1 million pp just getting weapons.
in words of anal fingers, just a filthy spaniard
Closed Thread