Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 03-01-2023, 08:22 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
like hardcode it so a human druid of karana can't buff a human druid of necro or heal them or port them or anything
OH YEAH!! howz bout any race, any class??
Old 03-02-2023, 02:28 AM
Kobold

after hesitating for many years and finally trying TLP i realized that most of the complaints from p99ers about all the QoL changes are hilariously hypocritical (including myself: i used to think I would hate TLP because of all the changes)

yet p99ers (including myself...) use out of era UIs, discord tunnelquest bots, GINA overlays and nparse maps, countless wikis, etc. all basically to bridge the gaps with third party changes that eventually were addressed with first-party changes in the game itself

basically everyone says they want the lack of QoL for nostalgia but they don't really want the poor QoL they just think they do

controversial take: p99 should have instances if it actually wants to recreate the classic feeling of raiding in everquest

live servers were not top heavy with FTE racing between guilds: that's purely an invention of p99 because of only having one progression server (on the same timeline) at a time. Any server which reached high enough population density enough to start causing issues was quickly split apart by Verant. They never encouraged guild-to-guild competition, and players weren't meant to be prevented from getting access to content. Guilds settled into 'tiers' based on their targets and gearing. e.g. a player during velious era might join a guild that is doing Kunark/Vanilla Planar content, then progress to a guild doing WToV, and finally once geared enough try to join the "uber guild" doing NToV. The non-uber guilds just accepted that they didn't get to do the current hardest content until a new expansion dropped and their server's uber guild moved onto the next tier of targets.

The guild-to-guild competition was between servers, e.g. FoH and LoS racing for firsts.

With instances you effectively recreate the multiple-servers experience that Live had, while only needing to run a single p99 server. It also solves needing to add variances (another extremely non-classic system) because just like guilds did on Live, they can pick and choose the days they raid. Having to raid around huge variance windows and quakes is nothing like raiding was on Live.

p99's system also encourages huge warm-body zerg guilds because when you make guilds compete, numbers win. On Live you had plenty of uber non-zerg guilds that restricted recruitment and were very tight players. They didn't have to worry about a 130 person guild showing up to race them when they could do the content with 60 players

Boxing was also extremely classic but wouldn't work on p99 due to the "free account issue". There would be nothing to prevent players from easily boxing multiple chars to farm instance drops for RMT, but with the population of p99 servers, there's plenty of players to support about 3-4 servers worth of non-boxed raiders, meaning we don't need boxes anyway.
Old 03-02-2023, 11:45 AM
Banned

Wink

Quote:

after hesitating for many years and finally trying TLP i realized that most of the complaints from p99ers about all the QoL changes are hilariously hypocritical (including myself: i used to think I would hate TLP because of all the changes)
Agreed 👍

Also yes to instances.

And limit ppl to one login server account period.
Old 03-02-2023, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Agreed 👍

Also yes to instances.

And for the love of g-d nerf the ludicrous shit outa charm. Or make it like classic where ppl wouldn't even charm exp greens until they had the AA to do it to a lvl 49 mob or whatever it was in pop.
Old 03-02-2023, 01:30 PM
Planar Protector

Question

Quote:
And for the love of g-d nerf the ludicrous shit outa charm. Or make it like classic where ppl wouldn't even charm exp greens until they had the AA to do it to a lvl 49 mob or whatever it was in pop.
What’s the issue with charm here? I’ve never really played enchanter on live or here, but i do know the social mechanics are broken and bards cannot charm swarm like we used to.
Old 03-02-2023, 01:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink grapefruit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What’s the issue with charm here? I’ve never really played enchanter on live or here, but i do know the social mechanics are broken and bards cannot charm swarm like we used to.
enchanters are just beyond op
Old 03-02-2023, 02:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
enchanters are just beyond op
This.

And if that was how Enchanters were on live, that'd be ok ... but every source you can possibly find about classic Enchanters doesn't describe them as soloing gods. To the contrary, Enchanters were a part of the "holy trinity" you'd use to form every group, because (like Clerics or tanks) they were considered a grouping class.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-02-2023, 07:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
That'll work about as well as "classic UI only" on green server.
Old 03-02-2023, 07:35 PM
Planar Protector

The admins have largely checked out. Most of the normal folks are long since driven away. I'm beyond tired of drug addicts, troublemakers, immature manchildren and other folks whom I don't wish to associate with. I feel like a fish out of water when I log on, with little in common with most the folks left here anymore. Game's still fine but these days the community left here mostly makes me wish it was a LAN game. It's been a good run; back in 2009 I never expected this would still be installed on my PC 13+ years hence. Maybe it's time to close this book or at least put it down for awhile 'till such a time as the admins rekindle their own interest.
Old 03-02-2023, 07:39 PM
Banned

Haven’t logged in in more than a month. Nerf my main all ya want IDC

I say delete charm spell, transfer clarity and c2 to wizards