Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 01:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Grunge saved us from 80s hair bands. If it wasn't for Kurt Cobain, you'd still be listening to Van Halen like it's cool. Well, you probably do.
Fuck that. Shit like Pantera and Slayer and others were around in the 80s. Industrial like Ministry and KMFDM. That grunge killed hair metal shit isnt true. Grunge was talentless accept for a few people like Jerry Cantrell(AiC singer/Guitars) and even he hates grunge and loves country music.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
like i dont like the beatles really, but their impact on people and music was profound, and their technical skill and creative drive was evident in the studio and during stage performances.

the exact same critique could be made of nirvana while also not sounding like a jackass, but that's not the sort of thing that is expressed by op.
I dont care for the Beetles but someone managed to turn me on to 1 decent song of theirs. Tomorrow never knows I think was it.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just don't like Nirvana because they do not stimulate me emotionally. They make me neither happy nor sad and I don't feel much of anything when I listen to them. No inspiration, no release, nothing.
This is the only reasonable perspective on Nirvana so far. Note how it isn't "Kurt Cobain was a faggot in his personal life so I don't like their music".
Old 07-23-2016, 02:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilist_santa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fuck that. Shit like Pantera and Slayer and others were around in the 80s. Industrial like Ministry and KMFDM. That grunge killed hair metal shit isnt true. Grunge was talentless accept for a few people like Jerry Cantrell(AiC singer/Guitars) and even he hates grunge and loves country music.
Pantera went through a phase in their early days where they looked like a hair metal band(I haven't heard any music from that time, can't comment on that). But yea bands like Metallica, Slayer, Venom, and Pantera were starting to rise in the 80's. Hell, even Cannibal Corpse was around back then.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is the only reasonable perspective on Nirvana so far. Note how it isn't "Kurt Cobain was a faggot in his personal life so I don't like their music".
I never listened to Nirvana, but I get hit with nostalgia when I hear some of their music cause I was a kid when they were a big hit(I'm 30 years old currently). A lot of my old friends would dig Nirvana so I'd hear it a lot.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:16 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I Love the fleet foxes! (But I'm from Portland)
I don't think thry have a southern drool.
But then again I play eq so what does that say about my judgment?
XD
Old 07-23-2016, 03:36 PM
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"nirvana r bad" is the new "the beatles r bad"

basic trolls trying to seem edgy by insulting a thing that everyone likes
Except Beatles were good, whereas Nirvana was not. It's not even edgy to dislike this shitty band, dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Grunge saved us from 80s hair bands. If it wasn't for Kurt Cobain, you'd still be listening to Van Halen like it's cool. Well, you probably do.
We get it, you will open wide to drink whatever zogpiss is sprayed in your direction and grunge was a better corporatized cesspit of radio music to steep in than hair bands. On that last part I do actually agree, marginally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettdc1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
First Aid Kit is great, despite Sweden being a cesspool. They're great vocalists, their lyrics are thoughtful and the music is good. If you think they are trash, that's fine. I still dig em :P

I've been a musician for the last 15 years(not saying that as an elitist type thing, people like what they like) and have been around and enjoyed lots of different music. To me, if its good its good. Don't have to be a cousin fucker from alabama to be qualified to play "folk" music. It doesn't work that way.
But to go so far out of your way to affect a Southern accent to appeal to soccer moms and grandmothers, while being a resident of Sweden? I'm not claiming that I'm making an objective argument here (I often roleplay a black man from the projects online myself), but it rings really false. I'd be more open to this aspect if the music were decent and not such obvious pandering feminist tripe in the first place.

Most of the songs I've heard by these people sound more like an annoying broad's excuse to be passive-aggressive in the car than good music. Well I'm a goddaaaaam coward but theheeen again so are yeeeeeew Christ the lyrics make me choke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I kinda figured it went without saying. The music leaves me at a flatline emotionally, like System of a Down or Creed or any other "rock" group you think of with a giant marketing budget and little talent. It sounds like a cash register.

I honestly think this is the consensus opinion in civilized society -- the demographics are a little skewed here I think, with myself a little outside of the childhood Nirvana fan demo and most people here square in it. You guys probably get a little bit of nostalgic charge out of this stuff like I would get from Backstreet Boys, but unlike Backstreet it sounds similar enough to actual music that one might be confused when evaluating the merits of this shitty band. I feel for you but seriously, go listen to some Nirvana right now and hear for yourself how bad it is.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:48 PM
Banned

yikes some pretentious fucks in here on both sides of the coin

i consider nirvana the same as pearl jam, candlebox and all that other shit

good for a song or two every few years but in general just whiny and a downer
Old 07-23-2016, 03:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just don't like Nirvana because they do not stimulate me emotionally. They make me neither happy nor sad and I don't feel much of anything when I listen to them. No inspiration, no release, nothing.
This.

On a somewhat related note I like some folk rock bands. I haven't listened to these "shitty" ones you mentioned yet though. I'll have to take a listen.

I really enjoy The Head and the Heart and The Lumineers. Definitely more folk-pop rock, but I dig it.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 07-23-2016, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_ole_jpn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Except Beatles were good, whereas Nirvana was not. It's not even edgy to dislike this shitty band, dude.

We get it, you will open wide to drink whatever zogpiss is sprayed in your direction and grunge was a better corporatized cesspit of radio music to steep in than hair bands. On that last part I do actually agree, marginally.

But to go so far out of your way to affect a Southern accent to appeal to soccer moms and grandmothers, while being a resident of Sweden? I'm not claiming that I'm making an objective argument here (I often roleplay a black man from the projects online myself), but it rings really false. I'd be more open to this aspect if the music were decent and not such obvious pandering feminist tripe in the first place.

Most of the songs I've heard by these people sound more like an annoying broad's excuse to be passive-aggressive in the car than good music. Well I'm a goddaaaaam coward but theheeen again so are yeeeeeew Christ the lyrics make me choke.

I kinda figured it went without saying. The music leaves me at a flatline emotionally, like System of a Down or Creed or any other "rock" group you think of with a giant marketing budget and little talent. It sounds like a cash register.

I honestly think this is the consensus opinion in civilized society -- the demographics are a little skewed here I think, with myself a little outside of the childhood Nirvana fan demo and most people here square in it. You guys probably get a little bit of nostalgic charge out of this stuff like I would get from Backstreet Boys, but unlike Backstreet it sounds similar enough to actual music that one might be confused when evaluating the merits of this shitty band. I feel for you but seriously, go listen to some Nirvana right now and hear for yourself how bad it is.

lmao. If you'd listen to more than 10 seconds of a song you'd notice they actually don't sign with a southern accent. I know a southern accent cause i'm a fucking southerner. They don't possess it. Their diction and dialect is of someone who is Swedish and learned English as their second language. Their influence is Emmy Lou Harris and similar country artists so that's why their compositions sound the way they do.

And the lyric you quoted is completely out of context by itself, and has nothing to do with empowering women or has anything to do with feminism. Most of their songs tell stories, albeit fictional. They're just songs. They aren't wearing their ideologies on their sleeves. Like I said I don't care if you don't like First Aid Kit but stop trying to paint them as some fake pro feminist shit show. They're not.
Closed Thread