Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Planar Protector

Default Casual High Elf paladin - starting points where?

Most likely will not be raiding, where do you guys think a new High Elf paladin should allocate their starting points? I figured either STA or WIS, leaning towards STA only because the elf has great wisdom starting out anyway, and really weak STA. Just wondering what you guys think.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:50 PM
Fire Giant

You'll need some strength to carry armor and some stamina.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:53 PM
Fire Giant

I wouldn't stress about starting stats too much. I put a lot of points into STR as an erudite paladin and really haven't regretted it. It was great throughout my leveling experience, even if it's kinda wasted now that I have some decent gear. I'd be like 1% more awesome if I'd put my points into a better stat, but leveling untwinked would have been rough.

That said, WIS followed by STA seems to be the min-maxer's choice, especially if you'll be twinking with some +STR gear to start. I'd probably say WIS if you want to min-max, but if you're not sure, maybe split between STA and WIS? I don't think either choice will make or break you.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:12 PM
Fire Giant

I'd go with wisdom, but either is a good choice.
From a level 60 perspective, having an extra ~100 HP is going to save your ass way less often than having ~200 extra mana (which is enough for two extra roots, or a 700HP heal) if you're getting pushed to the limit.
That said, if you're in that kind of situation a lot then you're doing something wrong anyway. 99% of the time it shouldn't matter.

Source: went with stamina and regret it.
Maamdak Battlebeard - 48 Dwarf Rogue
Crunkasaurus Rex - 49 Ogre Shaman
Mendak - 51 Halfling Druid (Green)

<Paradox> RIP
Old 02-17-2017, 01:45 PM
Fire Giant

For a casual player, I would almost say to put all 20 points in STR. That's what I did because High Elfs have horrible starting STR, I was broke, and that 20 extra STR helped me not be encumbered 24/7 while leveling up.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:57 PM
Fire Giant

Honestly Lhance, unless you're twinking him heavily, I'd agree with the others and go for all str. My first toon on the server was an Erudite pally, which I re rolled for str and 5agi (Erudites need 5 agi to stay above the ac penalty, not a HIE problem). I got sick of being encumbered with my own armor and empty bags. You'll have good natural wis, and Stamina provides minimal returns until high levels. So unless you think you might end up in the ToV scene at some point, I wouldn't worry about it. You'll get more bang for your buck with strength.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:49 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Truthbearer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For a casual player, I would almost say to put all 20 points in STR. That's what I did because High Elfs have horrible starting STR, I was broke, and that 20 extra STR helped me not be encumbered 24/7 while leveling up.
And you were able to carry some phat lewtz!
Old 02-17-2017, 03:31 PM
Fire Giant

STA is the hardest stat to cap in velious. Knights aren't for damage so I wouldn't recommend STR if looking st the top end.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:31 PM
Fire Giant

as a casual player I'd go the 10 into strength, 10 into stamina route. Then start researching either cheap or free strength gear.

Back - http://wiki.project1999.com/Direwolf_Fur_Cloak
the above just costs you time on the trip, and possibly a few coins on the pelt from a Thurg or Iceclad merchant as well as 1-2 invis pots for picking up the skinning stones.

Wrist - http://wiki.project1999.com/Hero_Bracers
since you're starting off in Faydwer, at level 8 (twinked a bit) or higher go beat up Minotaur Slavers by the cave and pop the Hero. Then politely ask a druid porting in the zone to help you kill it for the bracers as a new player. As the hero stays up for a while, you could do a /who in Butcherblock and politely ask a player to hail a Druid for you in that zone and give them a donation for the assistance too.

Face - http://wiki.project1999.com/Sarnak-Hide_Mask
sold cheap as hell for the Str bump it gives you. if you're willing to make a run into Karnor's, you could get it super cheap during prime time inside of the entrance probably. Get a SoW at the Firiona Vie bank and just jam on in.

Ears - http://wiki.project1999.com/Golden_Amber_Earring
Cheap as all hell for +3 str each, player made.

The +26 str in those slots for the cost are absurdly hard to beat. It's a minimal investment so you can save cash for better weapons, AC items, Fire Opal rings, and a Deepwater helm.
Last edited by NegaStoat; 02-17-2017 at 08:34 PM..
Old 02-18-2017, 03:54 AM
Planar Protector

Yes, look for gear with a strength greater than or equal to the weight of the equipment you carry.

Azure sleeves are great as you have the elven gun/twig show. There are many other high AC low weight items. Targishin's bone mask is good for this. Maybe when you hit 51 switch the sarnak hide mask for a Targishin's bone mask?

It is trivial to reach sufficient worn AC in the early levels, but in the 50s the 'cap' increases by 12 ac per level (starting at 163 at level 51) and mitigation through AC becomes rather important.
Closed Thread