Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 03:52 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongNpretty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ taught me to type. Mavis Beacon lost a customer when I joined EQ.. That's about the only benefit I can think of from playing EQ as a child... I enjoy reading too.. Which probably also came from EQ.

Mavis Beacon!

Holy Shit!

I remember that. But you have an excellent point there. I thought of the same thing.

I'd love my daughter to be able to improve her reading and typing skills through a game like this.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If your kids can't read, this isn't the game for them (yet): it's very reading-dependent, and really it'd be you playing with them in your lap.

If they can read, but they're too young for curses and sex talk and stuff, this isn't the game for them yet.

If they're old enough that you can live with them reading "naughty" stuff in shared chats, I think that's age-appropriate time.

... but, FWIW, there is a profanity filter in-game you can enable.
+REP to Frostynads. Adults, even young adults, need their space. I am not talking about safe space because that is fey.. even though that might be what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongNpretty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ taught me to type. Mavis Beacon lost a customer when I joined EQ.. That's about the only benefit I can think of from playing EQ as a child... I enjoy reading too.. Which probably also came from EQ.
Taught me to type in stressful situations. That wasn't a game feature or a developer design though. Reading and comprehending is required but its not on the game box listed as a requirement.
Last edited by Mblake81; 05-06-2020 at 04:09 PM..
Old 05-06-2020, 05:05 PM
Planar Protector

mavic beacon teaches typing 12 standard.

I killed at drag race game. but I was already shredding thanx to 1999 eq but all the chat room training on AOL and others from times past.

I am not giving my children video games for a while, and at the very least not making them part of my home life. Occasionally we go to the garage and I pull out the NES and we play some games until he is tired of them. I choose NES because it is so much harsher than SNES and N64 which my big boy doesn't yet know exist.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:07 PM
Fire Giant

Always funny are people like, my 8 year old son definitely doesn't want play fortnite or minecraft with his friends... he wants to press complete heal over and over again while his dad plays a 45 year old kobold simulator.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:17 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoblocke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I thought I'd start here.

I've been an EQ fan since 1999. I started playing P1999 off and on a few years ago. Recently with everything going on IRL I found myself playing a lot more recently. I have young kids that watch me play and are interested in playing with me.

I'd told them that they can perhaps play when they are older, but I feel kinda bad when they play their MineCraft while I play EQ next to them and they want to play.

A few concerns I have:
  1. I know boxing is not allowed, and I can petition for these accounts to bypass the IP restriction, but I'm sort of paranoid that since my kids are young elementary and not proficient w/ reading and writing that someone might think I'm boxing them
  2. Since the children are young, I'm also worried about them not necessarily following the P99 rules and possibly getting banned. And would they ban my account as well if they are linked?
  3. If I did create accounts for them, would it make sense to have them linked to my forum account or create a forum account for each? I'd prefer linking them to mine (over-protective dad worried about stranger danger)

What do you all think? I'm sure they'd enjoy the game.
I did the same thing years ago. Mine are 13 and 16 now. I also had the same concerns re: the perception of boxing.

I applied for the exemptions and noted my concern and their ages in the application. I also mentioned that they would have no chat enabled, but that I would always be playing with them when they played.

The response was, essentially, that their level progress should match their abilities and that I should circle back with staff if they ever got past the mid-20s. I think they made level 14 or so before they got bored and quit.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:15 PM
Banned

Not enough John Wick and pink bunny skins.

Last I checked Ninja has never called anyone up from P99. Its a shame too, I had my white tracksuit ready.
Last edited by Mblake81; 05-06-2020 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: crank the MIDI music
Old 05-06-2020, 09:09 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I choose NES because it is so much harsher than SNES and N64 which my big boy doesn't yet know exist.
So what do you mean? There are kids out there that think Nintendo consoles went from NES to....Switch (or maybe Wii)?
Last edited by gherron; 05-06-2020 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: Got too curious/excited, forgot to capitalize :(
Old 05-06-2020, 11:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gherron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So what do you mean? There are kids out there that think Nintendo consoles went from NES to....Switch (or maybe Wii)?
https://youtu.be/qt7HLA69dsI

-Mcoy
Old 05-07-2020, 05:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My little niece did the same thing, she tried touching the monitor. I guess she thought the screen was a big Ipad. She is 5 years old now and can use the mouse and type simple requests into Youtube.

Touch screen cellphones are so ubiquitous that a 3-5 yr olds first instinct is to touch the screen. Mobile games companies have already won the long game.
Last edited by Mblake81; 05-07-2020 at 05:16 AM..
Closed Thread