Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Resolution Question

I have a rather noobish question about which game resolution to use. I have a 24" wide screen monitor, and im currently using 1600x1200 resolution. However using this resolution my character seems a bit stretched out on the screen, as well as the ui boxes, i noticed because it looks more normal when i have it in windowed mode but i really hate playing in window mode. Is there any solution for this for someone with a wide screen monitor or do i just have to either use windowed mode or get used to how it looks now in full screen?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Orc

First, it is important to know there are two different resolutions settings in EQ, one for windowed mode and one for full screen. You have to set each separately. EQ does support widescreen resolutions. I believe it pulls the list of available resolutions in game from Windows, so you should be able to set EQ to any resolution you can set your desktop to. If it looks fine in windowed mode, check to see what resolution you have set in windowed mode, then hit alt-enter to enter full screen and change the resolution to that. If it still does not look right, play around with the resolution settings a bit until you find one that matches your monitor ratio.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Aviak

The native resolution for your monitor is either 1920x1080 or 1920x1200, more often it's x1080. Go fullscreen and look under resolution, it'll be the last one listed.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Ah, so I'm guessing I need to change my resolution in the in game options menu then? For some reason I was under the impression that the only way you can change it is at the options screen before you log into the game. I'd check if that's the case right now but I'm at work, that would explain it though.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:16 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Okay, so figured out my resolution issue, but now im having a new problem. When im playing in full screen, if i have minimized at any point since logging on. When i click on any of my hot buttons it minimizes everquest again for some reason. Like if i open the map and then click anywhere on the map, it will minimize me again, or if i try to click off a buff it minimizes me. Any ideas on this?
Old 10-12-2010, 02:22 AM
Orc

This is happening because for some reason you are able to click through the game to your desktop or underlying windows that would not be covered up by the windowed mode window. The solution to this is after you go to full screen you must reset your video resolution. You don't need to change anything just open it and hit accept.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:36 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Okay, thanks Ahnen, would there be any way to stretch out the window in windowed mode so that it covers the whole screen as well, that way you wont have to do this fix?
Last edited by Queladen; 10-12-2010 at 02:38 AM..
Old 10-12-2010, 04:09 AM
Orc

If you set your resolution correctly when in windowed mode (remember the resolution for windowed and full screen are independent of each other) you can likely cover the whole screen, perhaps with a small gap at the bottom on some widescreens.
You can right click your start bar and select properties to adjust the auto-hide option to on. This will hide the task bar unless you bring your mouse low enough on your desktop.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:30 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Okay i'll try that, thanks.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Kobold

EQ will actually accept any resolution if you edit the eqclient.ini file - but as they mentioned, it has settings for both windowed and fullscreen.