Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Planar Protector

Exclamation The Worm's Prophecy Has Been Witnessed

This guy was completely right about the inevitable progression of a FFA ruleset:

Lets face it sometimes even retards make a good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehrmacht
FFA, no teams PvP server:

Day 1 you will see 30-40 man guilds pop up. There will be Heresy, some random TZ or SZ guild, and a few random blue server guilds that show up with a zerg of people. You'll probably have four or five viable or semi-viable guilds roaming around. Each guild will monopolize some area like Guk, Karnors, whatever.

After a few weeks, one of the guilds implodes and you're down to three. Now there will be two guilds monopolizing spawns, loot, and beating the shit out of the most likely lower population third guild. The demoralized 3rd guild starts bleeding members, some just plain quit, others join the 2 dominant guilds. Then the 3rd guild completely vanishes except that one guy who just got out of prison and logged back into the game at level 3 with now defunct guild tag.

Now you're a few months into the server with a constant day to day brawl of the two dominant guilds fighting for dragons. This goes on a long time and during this entire process, server will constantly drop in population. New players that join the server during this period of time will mostly be standing around by themselves, occasionally get ganked by a level 50, have nobody to group with, and solo their way to 50 because everyone on a FFA server is your enemy.

The majority of these new people will just plain quit. An occasional few will make it to the top but the server will be losing way more people than it's gaining due to this kind of alienation of the new player.

Now the server population is like 100 people: 30 people in guild A, 30 people in guild B, and 30-40 random noobs wandering around. The leader of one of the guilds gets charged with some kind of bestiality sex crimes IRL (probably Heresy). The guild disbands, only one guild remains, server ends.

Why teams?

Quote:
Next choice is teams based server:

Similar number of people start on day one. The 30 man guilds move into their positions to try and monopolize some area. A random evil guild stands around on shores of oasis killing alligators and starts leveling fast. A low level crapling comes into the zone, see's them, and zones out to go tell all the other craplings. All of a sudden a giant tidal wave of low level craplings starts to pour into the zone and the highest level troll on the server will have 8 halflings clinging to him like some scene from Lord of the Rings.

All of the craplings die and the entire beach is covered in corpses but the uber, evil guild is completely unable to do any leveling so their progress is held back the entire day. The low level craplings then respawn in Misty Thicket and form a guild with the name "Flowers of Happiness".

This goes on for months. One or two guilds will eventually die but each of the two teams will maintain at least one uber guild and one casual or noob guild. At this point, the FFA server would most likely be in it's death spiral but the teams server population would be better off due to lack of alienation of the new or casual player. It might even still be growing.

The uber guild will constantly use their teams noob guild as human shields in order to defend themselves from attack while raiding so there will always be something to do, someone to attack, someone to group with.

The overall effect is much slower progression, more PvP, higher population, and the server's main zerg guilds have much less power and effect on the server world overall due to having to fight much bigger battles against more opponents. When one team's uber guild leader goes to prison, there will most likely always be a secondary guild ready to step in and take over the team and the server avoids collapse.

This rule set would basically be Sullon Zek type setup except with two teams instead of three. Three teams always implodes due to one of the three always ending up much weaker so it's not a viable choice.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:19 PM
Planar Protector

I agree regarding 3 teams vs 2 teams.

But the fact is that the team with the dedicated players will be most strong. People will be choosing to join nihilum from day 1 and they won't even have the possibility of falling out in the greater sense because they will always be on the same team. Its just really blue.

I've spent countless hours taking care of noobs in this FFA server..and I have never been betrayed by a group member. Everyone can be your enemy but people are people and understand that once peace is made, if it is broken in a bad way you will be hated by all.

This server is in its state because of a guild ban, lack of item loot, and the fact that the server seemed abandoned for a really long time. There is no PvP because everyone leveling up knows it is a waste of exp time and everyone level 60 is either hunting for nihilum or camping loot mobs.

Teams wouldn't have changed that. Item loot and no amelinda might have.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Banned

That guy is extremely stupid.

He predicted literally nothing that actually led to a server downfall. However, its easy here to incorrectly assign credit to his "predictions".
Old 07-29-2013, 01:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That guy is extremely stupid.

He predicted literally nothing that actually led to a server downfall. However, its easy here to incorrectly assign credit to his "predictions".
pretty much what nirgon said. people don't play here again for the following basic reasons:

1) One of the worst possible launches ever. Seriously. No guard assist, massive pvp bugs, epics on blue being released a month later, no OOC, no YT, awful EXP rate, a major fuck up with the nihilum / holo scenario by Rogean [of which Holo wasn't free from fault either, and p.s. the box was alrdy down to sub 200's at that point], huge griefing contingent empowered by exp loss

2) Resists fucking suck, pvp is bugged beyond recognition

3) About the worst possible level of dev communication imaginable for this server from pre-release continuing to today

4) Nobody seems to care very much about this server, see: the same resists and discussions that have been going on since day 1, high sun still unresistable, bolts still going through walls etc. etc.

5) awful core playerbase that turns off all normal people from wanting to play here

that has a lot more to do with why red is in the shape it's in than teams do
Old 07-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Banned

Honestly I blame people in the beta test screaming "its fine roll it!" more than anything.

There is a core of players who give 0 fucks about classic EQ and only seem to enjoy poop socking as hard as possible, seeing people quit by means of extreme effort griefing and/or creating another VZTZ style cess pool of kills being announced and the entire server berating them for it.

Classic EQ PvP did work. But like I try to remind you in the teams thread, teams worked to start, then people started figuring out problems that went unresolved by SoE. IE: cross teaming, removing item loot (to cater to people who only care about pixels and not the experience) and other downfalls to EQ PvP that I don't think a Verant-only influenced game would have seen happen.

tl;dr -
Quote:
Me and some guys from school
Had a band and we tried real hard.
Jimmy quit, Jody got married
I should've known we'd never get far

Oh, when I look back now
That summer seemed to last forever
And if I had the choice
Yeah, I'd always wanna be there
Those were the best days of my life
Old 07-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Sarnak

i'm STILL MAD about guards not assisting
Old 07-29-2013, 07:15 PM
Banned

not reading anything here its all written by idiots and youll be ignored by staff regardless of the shit that dribbles from your mouths.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly I blame people in the beta test screaming "its fine roll it!" more than anything.

There is a core of players who give 0 fucks about classic EQ and only seem to enjoy poop socking as hard as possible, seeing people quit by means of extreme effort griefing and/or creating another VZTZ style cess pool of kills being announced and the entire server berating them for it.

Classic EQ PvP did work. But like I try to remind you in the teams thread, teams worked to start, then people started figuring out problems that went unresolved by SoE. IE: cross teaming, removing item loot (to cater to people who only care about pixels and not the experience) and other downfalls to EQ PvP that I don't think a Verant-only influenced game would have seen happen.

tl;dr -

Funny how people keep referring to vztz. You are probably one of two people. One, an idiot who couldn't handle the pvp or two, a piece of the cesspool.

VZTZ, like any other game/server/real life classroom had assholes and douchebags. You will never escape it in the virtual or real world. Quit acting like it's not partly your fault for how things have gone. Act like an adult and take some responsibility. I guarantee, at one point, you took part in your share of making people quit.

I know I have. I enjoy griefing the griefers (like yourself) off the server through pvp and basic rules. You were part of the exploiting/hacking guild and it was fun pvping you and your guild until they just couldn't handle it.

Now, you are just a forum warrior like the rest who can't actually pvp. Why are you even here? Very confusing!
Old 07-30-2013, 04:26 AM
Planar Protector

FFA, no teams PvP server:

"Day 1 you will see 30-40 man guilds pop up. There will be Heresy, some random TZ or SZ guild, and a few random blue server guilds that show up with a zerg of people. You'll probably have four or five viable or semi-viable guilds roaming around. Each guild will monopolize some area like Guk, Karnors, whatever.

After a few weeks, one of the guilds implodes and you're down to three. Now there will be two guilds monopolizing spawns, loot, and beating the shit out of the most likely lower population third guild. The demoralized 3rd guild starts bleeding members, some just plain quit, others join the 2 dominant guilds. Then the 3rd guild completely vanishes except that one guy who just got out of prison and logged back into the game at level 3 with now defunct guild tag.

Now you're a few months into the server with a constant day to day brawl of the two dominant guilds fighting for dragons. This goes on a long time and during this entire process, server will constantly drop in population. New players that join the server during this period of time will mostly be standing around by themselves, occasionally get ganked by a level 50, have nobody to group with, and solo their way to 50 because everyone on a FFA server is your enemy.

The majority of these new people will just plain quit. An occasional few will make it to the top but the server will be losing way more people than it's gaining due to this kind of alienation of the new player.

Now the server population is like 100 people: 30 people in guild A, 30 people in guild B, and 30-40 random noobs wandering around. The leader of one of the guilds gets charged with some kind of bestiality sex crimes IRL (probably Heresy). The guild disbands, only one guild remains, server ends."

__________________________________________________ __________________________

Holy shit I never really used to like this guy, but he hit the nail on the head. That is insane how on point he was.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:36 AM
Planar Protector

Wehrmacht was a horrible human being but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Also the launch was pretty bad. EXP loss + shitty EXP gain + buggy pvp = lots of people going back to WoW. In team pvp you have some of the funnest times because people are shouting in zone where random packs of shorties are that are killing people and everyone forms a lynch mob and goes and kills them. It builds camaraderie and is in general very fun. The launch here I remember was literally 3 gnomes with earth pets just killing everyone at the entrance to Ak'anon. Guards did nothing. It was pretty lame.
Last edited by Potus; 07-30-2013 at 04:46 AM..
Closed Thread