Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm 30 and havent had health insurance since i was 18. In those 12 years ive broken my hand twice and had 3 doctors visits for colds/pinched nerve. I look at it this way. I've spent about 6k in medical bills in 12 years so i'm still ahead rather having insurance to cover me all those years. I will pay the penatly atleast the first year if not the 1st 2 years. depending on what the actual fee will be 3rd year i might get insurance or just work part time and get welfare [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Over the past 6 years, I've paid probably $11k in premiums and I've received no more than maybe $2k in benefit from it... I really just keep it because I'd hate to be financially ruined by a stroke of bad luck. What really sucks is I know my employer has also probably paid about $11k towards the insurance as well. If it wasn't for the insane marriage of employment and health insurance, I would have received a good chunk of that in compensation instead.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Planar Protector

I like the idea of self-insuring, but I hate the idea of a 1 million dollar++++ hospital visit
Old 09-26-2013, 04:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like the idea of self-insuring, but I hate the idea of a 1 million dollar++++ hospital visit
Self-insuring still means having insurance, right? That's what insurance is for, to handle crazy expensive hospital visits.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orruar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Self-insuring still means having insurance, right? That's what insurance is for, to handle crazy expensive hospital visits.
Correction, insurance "should be" for handing crazy expensive events. Apparently in our society, insurance is for handling that $50 for a routine tetanus shot.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddlywinks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For example, the tax "penalty" for a 27 year old single individual making $25,000 anually only comes out to like $625 per year.

This website generally has answered any question I've had regarding the process. Here's a link to the tax penalty for those who chose not to be covered bit: http://obamacarefacts.com/obamacare-tax-penalty.php
I heard that the tax penalty keeps increasing every year you don't purchase. Can anyone clarify?
Old 09-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddlywinks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unless I'm grossly missing something, from a taxpayer perspective it's pretty simple really.

If you are currently uninsured, starting on October 1st of this year, in many states you will be able to shop the "Health Insurance Marketplace" where you will be able to see competing government (public) and corporate (private) plans and premiums and pick one that suits you.

These plans are typically targeted to cost an individual between 5%-8% of their anual income. In the event that an individual cannot get insurance within that percentile of their anual income range, or if they meet any of the other previously posted exemption requirements then they can file for exemption. If granted they can essentially ignore that the system exists entirely.

In the event someone elects not to receive or participate then they will have a tax "penalty" applied anually, not to 1% of their income or $95 in 2014, whichever value is larger. In 2015 that goes up to $325 or 2%, and by 2016 to $695 or 2.5%. By 2017 tax penalty will increase by the rate of inflation going forward, or 2.5% of your Income.

I think the reason it is staggered like this for 3 years until it begins to match inflation is to give people time (seriously people take 3 years to catch on to shit?) to get aboard, but I could be wrong.

That's basically it as far as purchasing a premium or not is concerned.

Personally I think the lower level coverages blow dick, and thankfully my employer offers me much better for only $1500 anually. Carrying health coverage is also a requirement for employment so I don't care all too much. As a (relatively) fit, young individual, if I did not receive coverage through work I would probably just man up and pay the penalties. As it is I'm already paying less than 2.5% of my anual income for better health insurance anyway, so whatever.
Answered my questions. Thanks for the informative post. I still think we should rebel and force these fuckers at the top to buy the shit that we can't afford.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orruar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Self insuring means = you pay 100% out of pocket for any and all medical related expenses, otherwise keeping your money instead of paying premiums.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Banned

And how exactly are we racist if we don't believe in being forced to pay for subsidizing the U.S. medical industry? This won't help poor families of black children with 6 people. They will just end up paying a tax penalty on everyone in their family and still have to go to the ER uninsured AFAIK.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Self insuring means = you pay 100% out of pocket for any and all medical related expenses, otherwise keeping your money instead of paying premiums.
Ah yeah, I'm with ya. Is why I'd rather just have a plan that covers for anything over about $5k, which likely won't happen in the next 30 years of my life.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:00 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Is this kind of logic the same as saying income taxes are voluntary, because you can always decide not to pay them and just go to jail and then pay fines instead?

I have health insurance through my job that only costs me like 3% of my paycheck, but even I have thought about just dropping it altogether, as I'm young, healthy, and take good care of my health.

I really just want a plan that covers disastrous and crazy expensive things like getting hit by a car. You know, how every other form of insurance is structured. Unfortunately, Obamacare just adds to the various mandates of little piddly shit that insurance is now forced to cover.

Can you imagine how expensive car insurance would be if it was mandated to cover gasoline, window tinting, and every knick and ding? Not only would you pay more as the insurance company would take a little extra profit on every gallon of gas, but everyone would be going in for every minor little car problem and driving up the cost for everyone.

Seriously, make it legal and tax deductible to hold an insurance plan that only covers the super-rare and insanely expensive events. If I break an arm and need to pay a few hundred $ out of pocket, I'm cool with that.

You know why such plans are not legal? Because then they couldn't fuck over us young people to pay for all the bad health decisions made by the older generations.
I mean, these already are going to exist. They're referred to as "catastrophic plans". Basically you pay a much lower amount, and instead you get a higher deductible, but still get preventative care, and coverage in case of some crazy high medical expense.

http://obamacarefacts.com/obamacare-...ance-rules.php
Quote:
Catastrophic plans have lower premiums, protect against high out-of-pocket costs, and cover recommended preventive services without cost sharing—providing affordable individual coverage options for young adults and people for whom coverage would otherwise be unaffordable.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/26/health...ent/?hpt=he_c1
Quote:
Catastrophic insurance covers three doctor visits per year at no cost and preventive care such as screenings and vaccines. This plan will carry a higher deductible.
All plans bought through the exchanges must offer the same coverage benefits. All offer free preventive care. Nearly all cap out-of-pocket costs to $6,350 and $12,700 per family. No one can be turned away. No one will be penalized because of their gender (women often paid more in the old insurance system). Only smokers may be penalized in some plans and some older people may pay more.
They're essentially targeted at young individuals who don't need to spend thousands of dollars a year for health insurance they may, or most likely will NOT need to use.

A good site with comparison info to the other lowest plan (the bronze tier) can be found here:

http://health.usnews.com/health-news...alth-insurance
Closed Thread