Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 12:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
GM's need a Wargames style big screen Command Centre with all IP exemption players highlighted at all times on a giant map of Norrath.

Praise Amun!
That would be kinda cool actually
Old 12-16-2020, 05:26 PM
Large Rat

I played this game a couple years ago and applied for an IP exception for my wife to play but never received a response. I wasn't sure how strictly this rule was applied and I'm glad we didn't just decide to chance it and play regardless. If you had an exception, I'm not sure how excited I'd be to tell the Mrs that she may be occasionally tested if we got one.

I'm back playing again and really enjoying it and the wife looking over my shoulder is starting to get that Norrathain gleam in her eye so this thread caught my attention.

Is it a lot of trouble to play with someone else on your own LAN in P1999 or his our OP a fairly unique situation? I'm enjoying my time and not going anywhere but if my wife wanted to roll her enchantress again I'd like to set some expectations for her.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:49 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuedymage [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played this game a couple years ago and applied for an IP exception for my wife to play but never received a response. I wasn't sure how strictly this rule was applied and I'm glad we didn't just decide to chance it and play regardless. If you had an exception, I'm not sure how excited I'd be to tell the Mrs that she may be occasionally tested if we got one.

I'm back playing again and really enjoying it and the wife looking over my shoulder is starting to get that Norrathain gleam in her eye so this thread caught my attention.

Is it a lot of trouble to play with someone else on your own LAN in P1999 or his our OP a fairly unique situation? I'm enjoying my time and not going anywhere but if my wife wanted to roll her enchantress again I'd like to set some expectations for her.
They are pretty strict, but lots of people have IP exceptions with their spouse and aren't suspected of boxing.

As a rule of thumb, I'd just always think of the "Butt's in the Computer Seats" rule. If she's AFK using the restroom, don't reach over and hit her keyboard to land a heal/nuke.

You'll be tempted to log into your wife's character to do simple things like an EC transfer, or running her to your group to throw a few buffs - but those things are still considered boxing and people get caught for those little infractions all the time. They'll nuke your accounts in those cases and tell you you are welcome to reroll with new accounts. Some couples do, some don't.

I wouldn't worry too much about OP's post. It feels Sus to me. If you are concerned though, you can both have Discord up and be ready to both pop into one of the P1999 server voice channels instantly. But if she's playing an enchanter likely she's going to be moving constantly. Two players that move constantly don't get pulled in to be tested.

Good luck and happy gaming =)
Old 12-16-2020, 05:56 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeaolena [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They are pretty strict, but lots of people have IP exceptions with their spouse and aren't suspected of boxing.

As a rule of thumb, I'd just always think of the "Butt's in the Computer Seats" rule. If she's AFK using the restroom, don't reach over and hit her keyboard to land a heal/nuke.

You'll be tempted to log into your wife's character to do simple things like an EC transfer, or running her to your group to throw a few buffs - but those things are still considered boxing and people get caught for those little infractions all the time. They'll nuke your accounts in those cases and tell you you are welcome to reroll with new accounts. Some couples do, some don't.

I wouldn't worry too much about OP's post. It feels Sus to me. If you are concerned though, you can both have Discord up and be ready to both pop into one of the P1999 server voice channels instantly. But if she's playing an enchanter likely she's going to be moving constantly. Two players that move constantly don't get pulled in to be tested.

Good luck and happy gaming =)

Awesome! Good information and yes i keep her running non stop lull pulling for me and my mage pet lol
Old 12-16-2020, 06:09 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah in many ways its harder than live because there you could box but you had to be paying for or accessing 2 paid accounts. Here accounts are free, and boxxing is not allowed.

Not sure what to say.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:20 PM
Large Rat

I've not used Discord much but if we do play together in the future I will make sure we are both set up to do that if necessary. It's good information to know and I fully understand the desire to eliminate boxing. On Live having your camp overran by 5 toons autofollowing a player and they start mowing thru your camp was very annoying.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:38 PM
Sarnak

If shes constantly playing her character actively and isn't just perma afk except to buff you every 20-30 minutes the GM's will leave you alone. It is always painfully obvious when someone is clearly boxing but using the "my brother, wife, sister, kid" is playing excuse. The hardest part of legit playing with multiple people in one house is waiting for them to grant the IP exemption.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:43 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuedymage [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Awesome! Good information and yes i keep her running non stop lull pulling for me and my mage pet lol
In that case, it will be you who is the suspicious one :P.

Look, if you and your partner are actually able to play the game to any degree of skill, then you should be fine. It just looks REALLY suspicious when someone's "wife who has been playing for years and has a level 50-something character" can't figure out how to swim up (hint: don't play in 3rd person).

Even giving the benefit of doubt to people in the same situation as the OP, if your partner doesn't actually play the game very much, perhaps just hitting a couple spells on a laptop while they watch netflix, and you have to dictate every command to them, you would likely fail the bot test even if they were legitimately there.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:54 PM
Sarnak

RIP, played with a girlfriend a ton never box checked. played with a brother a ton never box checked.

if youre getting box checked more than once youre doing something wrong. get checked 3 times youre boxing lol
Old 12-16-2020, 09:11 PM
Aviak

I have some sympathy for a person who gets caught breaking a rule and takes his punishment as a man. I just hate people who get caught and cant accept it so they just make up crazy stories to avoid taking any responsibility.
Closed Thread