Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 06-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Planar Protector

Sounds like there was some sort of fixed size array in there somewhere, and Verant had some hacks.

Personally this is one of those "this is just retarded" things but I doubt Nilbog will see it that way [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
in words of anal fingers, just a filthy spaniard
Old 06-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Banned

I remember a couple years ago (sometime in 2011) when Shaere brought this up and got laughed at. Now everyone seems to take it serious all this time later, interesting. Not knowing the thread OP referenced, maybe it was the same one from back then. Still this trend of not reporting things or taking them serious until after it has long been exploited or abused is getting ridiculous.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by KotBK [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember a couple years ago (sometime in 2011) when Shaere brought this up and got laughed at. Now everyone seems to take it serious all this time later, interesting. Not knowing the thread OP referenced, maybe it was the same one from back then. Still this trend of not reporting things or taking them serious until after it has long been exploited or abused is getting ridiculous.
If you can show a single person that posted in this thread making fun of the 2011 thread, then you have a semi-valid point.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Project Manager

So when 6 mages would kill Dain by chain casting air pets..

However, and this currently works on p99 as far as I know, npcs choosing to attack npc targets is limited. Take Highpass Hold for example.. when the orcs choose to jihad against the Highkeep entrance, they leave in a pack of 10+. Along the way, Highpass Citizens fight them. If one or more of those orcs passes a citizen already engaged with X amount of npcs, it will bypass them and keep going. Thought it was worth mentioning.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Planar Protector

I recall that thread a while back. I... think(?) I argued for it, it's something I definitely recalled once I read it.

Basically, only 4 mobs could engage at a time on one given target period. It was actually used as a tactic if you got 4 low level mobs attacking someone and 1 or more harder mobs, they would just sit there helpless to actually attack. On live it was hard to pull off (maybe we just sucked).

Same applied for pets, if there were 4 pets on an npc and you sent your pet, he'd just stand there near the mob, I think they sort of alternated which 4 were attacking, but I'm not positive.

Nilbog: I'm pretty sure that what you mentioned is a bit different. NPCs wouldn't goto the second on the hatelist/ignore the target if there were too many npcs already attacking, they'd just stand there waiting for a turn to attack.
Last edited by koros; 06-26-2013 at 06:06 PM..
Old 06-26-2013, 06:08 PM
Planar Protector

Also... this would be rife with manipulation if actually implemented, something to consider. Imagine a raid boss twiddling his thumbs at the MT while 4 level 45 mobs swing at them.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by koros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also... this would be rife with manipulation if actually implemented, something to consider. Imagine a raid boss twiddling his thumbs at the MT while 4 level 45 mobs swing at them.
Keep in mind that proximity aggro also worked on live when this was in effect. If a mob ran, it would also engage another player. This is why AoE groups would have everyone's HP drop at the same time when pulls went bad. It's also why you could salvage a missed stun cycle on occasion.

In your example, the boss would go to whoever is next on the aggro list and start eating the raid.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

I wanted to add this to the recollection, and make it a bit more complex.

The 4 mob limit was per player on aggro list. Thus if 6 gob had 6 players on their aggro list all 6 could hit any PC they chose up to and including all 6 on one PC. So, when you trained out of Guk, if you were solo, you wouldn't have a bad one. But if a whole group bailed, shared aggro, you could have a 30 frog train of doom beating the crap out of everyone. Hence, you could pull more than 4 mobs to your group and have all of them in camp, not just 4. Soon as one added aggro to another PC, another frog could shift in. Healer casts a heal, ench stuns/mezzes, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbog
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:40 PM
Kobold

I remember this and it was still live well into Luclin. As an enchanter (which I didnt roll until after Luclin launched), I would chain pull for my dungeon groups. If I pulled more than 4, the additional mobs would run away from the group until another player was on their hate list. One of the reasons I remember this is because I was discussing it with a group mate. He thought I was crazy when I told him it was limited to 4, so I purposely pulled 6 and told nobody to assist me. I brought them all back to our camp and showed him. Lo and behold only 4 attacked me while the other 2 ran off... as if they were low HP. It was real apparent because as soon as I would mez one, the runners would come back. Once the 5th mob got into melee range, with the 3 active and 1 mezzed mob, the 6th would run away. With a group, it wouldn't last all that long with heals, etc, but it was real apparent on the pull.
I can see how many players may not have experienced this, especially if grouping with a monk who splits pulls.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:49 AM
Planar Protector

You guys are exactly right, forgot about all that